W212 owners, please check-in

Thaiyotakamli

Hi guys

Just changed the following in my 2010 w212 e250, first time change as it's a pre owned car. Are the charges reasonable?

1. Front brake pads $230 - original

2. Rear brake pads $190 - original

3. AMG battery $220

Above not done at CnC.

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Hi guys

Just changed the following in my 2010 w212 e250, first time change as it's a pre owned car. Are the charges reasonable?

1. Front brake pads $230 - original

2. Rear brake pads $190 - original

3. AMG battery $220

Above not done at CnC.

Thanks

Original brake pad there about. I just replaced my rear brake pad recently but OEM, plus disc pad sensor, $105per set. Edited by Ct3833

Dear All,

Is is worth to keep the W212 beyond 10 years? I am still considering to re-new it or change to another car.

Need advise on this , such as maintenance, spare part and major problem gear box, etc.

Thanks. 

ccs

(edited)

Dear All,

Is is worth to keep the W212 beyond 10 years? I am still considering to re-new it or change to another car.

Need advise on this , such as maintenance, spare part and major problem gear box, etc.

Thanks. 

ccs

Depends on the current condition of the car, also depends on how you have been maintaining it. More importantly, do you feel good enough about the car to keep it for another 10 years?

The W212 is a good car - comfortable, solid, well-built, stable and undemanding to drive, much like the W124. You don't get the same feeling anymore with the newer W213 which feels lightweight. I very much prefer the 7-Gtronic GB to the older 5-speeder though.

Assuming that you have an E200 or E250, I think maintenance is straightforward and inexpensive. 

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

Saw quite a few COE W212 E250s on sale at around $8k depre

Seems reasonable as the W212 doesn't look terribly outdated and still quite stately. Anything to look out for?

• Praise 1

Went to view several W212s with a friend, and the faded interior switches seem a common issue in almost all cars we viewed.

Other common malfunctions are the electronics - rain, light and temperature sensors etc., and leading oil slumps, worn shocks, common with cars this age. See diagnosis.

If you intend to purchase a 2009 or 2010 example with renewed 10-year COE or intend to COE, be prepared to spend at least S$10,000 to do up the car to drive for 10 years.

M11.jpg

M22.jpg

MA1.jpg

MA2.jpg

MA3.jpg

MA44.jpg

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

I'm a bit late to the game. Looking around for a PFL W212 E250.  What are the main differences between the Elegence and Avantgarde models? Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

I'm a bit late to the game. Looking around for a PFL W212 E250.  What are the main differences between the Elegence and Avantgarde models? Thanks!

Elegance no DRL fog light, interior wood brown, avantgarde black wood trim and rim difference.

i think exhaust also diff

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

The main diff in the advantgarde is that it has a 3 cm shorter shock absorbers, making the car lower , more firm, more sporty feel when you drive. But the under carriage will scratch some of the road humps when driving over. 

• Praise 3

On 9/14/2019 at 10:02 PM, Vinceng said:

Went to view several W212s with a friend, and the faded interior switches seem a common issue in almost all cars we viewed.

Other common malfunctions are the electronics - rain, light and temperature sensors etc., and leading oil slumps, worn shocks, common with cars this age. See diagnosis.

If you intend to purchase a 2009 or 2010 example with renewed 10-year COE or intend to COE, be prepared to spend at least S$10,000 to do up the car to drive for 10 years.

M11.jpg

M22.jpg

MA1.jpg

MA2.jpg

MA3.jpg

MA44.jpg

Hi @Vinceng,  sorry the screen shots were too small, I am unable to see the details. What to do up that one has to spend $10K? I have been driving my W212 for more than 2 years,  and I renewed COE along the way, I dont foresee i will have to spend so  much money for repair. I have driven W211 and W204 before, and i didnt spend much money repairing them. 

By the way, the buttons problems you have posted are simply skin  peeling off,  one can simply buy decal to restick them back and they be looking like new.

$12 solution for your ref, if  order from taobao will be cheaper.........

https://sg.carousell.com/p/free-postage-mercedes-benz-c-e-s-class-window-switch-button-sticker-decal-repair-w204-s204-w212-s212-c180-c200-c250-c300-224611021?t-id=67JYt0Lo_f_1578288814963&t-referrer_browse_type=search_results&t-referrer_request_id=-rks1bFggdlwi0eH&t-referrer_search_query=w212 decal sticker buttons&t-referrer_sort_by=popular

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

7 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

The main diff in the advantgarde is that it has a 3 cm shorter shock absorbers, making the car lower , more firm, more sporty feel when you drive. But the under carriage will scratch some of the road humps when driving over. 

One more thing, avantgarde has bixenon headlight meanwhile elegance still using halogen

• Praise 2

Thanks all for the info 👍

I also realised that the earlier W212 E250 came in 5 speed and later ones in 7G-Tronic.  Like the  retro look of the 5 speed gear selector [rolleyes]

• Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

I also realised that the earlier W212 E250 came in 5 speed and later ones in 7G-Tronic.  Like the  retro look of the 5 speed gear selector [rolleyes]

Only the late 2012 and later ,including the facelift models are 7 gtronic with steering column mounted gear shift. The CGI  models from 2009 to late 2012 are 5 speed.

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

So on boh ? W213, W212 facelift, W212 pre facelift 7 gtronic or W212 CGI ? 

10 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

W212 PFL 7GTronic.....  I think [laugh]

Let me add more confusion to your  buying decision, the depre of pre factlift  and the facelift model around 2013 are about the same, in fact if you bargain and hunt  harder,  some facelift models might be cheaper, the only diff is the facelift models come with 2L engine, which I do not mind(if i could afford one😅).

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
12 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Let me add more confusion to your  buying decision, the depre of pre factlift  and the facelift model around 2013 are about the same, in fact if you bargain and hunt  harder,  some facelift models might be cheaper, the only diff is the facelift models come with 2L engine, which I do not mind(if i could afford one😅).

the 2L is the supposed better engine. only problem with face lifted W212 is timing. its coe ends in 2024/5 which is more or less the trough in quota numbers. thus if one wants to renew, then the renewal coe might be quite high. but then who knows

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

the 2L is the supposed better engine. only problem with face lifted W212 is timing. its coe ends in 2024/5 which is more or less the trough in quota numbers. thus if one wants to renew, then the renewal coe might be quite high. but then who knows

Good point, but if he will to get the 7 gtronic pre-facelift, timing wise will be quite the same as  the facelift model as well. Maybe by then  he decides to get a new w214😄.

↡ Advertisement