South Korean Ship Sunk

Thaiyotakamli

No one talk about this? Pray for the missing one to be found and RIP to the student and woman who didnt make it

P.S some of the news said 300+ still went missing

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/15/world/asia/south-korea-sinking-ship-students/

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) - Rescue boats and helicopters scrambled to pluck passengers, most of them high school students, from a ferry as it listed and slowly sank off the southwest coast of South Korea on Wednesday.

It's unclear exactly how many of the 477 people on board were rescued. Many jumped from the listing ship to the freezing waters below.

At one point, South Korean authorities said 386 passengers had been rescued and that 104 remain unaccounted for. But later Wednesday, they said they couldn't provide exact numbers.

What is known is that at least two people -- a woman and a student -- were confirmed dead.

The rescue operation was still underway six hours after the ferry first sent out distress signal.

Authorities could not immediately say what caused the ship to sink. The weather at the time of the incident in the area was clear.

'I wanted to live'

Among the passengers the ferry, Sewol, was carrying were 325 students.

The group left from the port city of Incheon, just west of Seoul, for a four-day trip to the resort island of Jeju.

Around 9 a.m. local time, the ferry sent out its first distress call. It had begun to list.

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Just heard channel 8 news said that the ship collided into the shallow coral and grounded then capsize, 2 pax demised, RIP to both of them [:(]

Edited by Fongmy

Yeah looks pretty bad. Whole vessel is flipped over with keel facing the sky. Only hope is that the water seems to be pretty shallow and hopefully there are air pockets in the ship. But the watertight doors and such will need to be doing their job.

Seems like a lot of people still missing and might be trapped inside.

My thoughts are with them and the Coast Guard/Navy guys who are working to save them. It's still pretty chilly up there past sunset, anyone in the water is not going to survive the night.

• Praise 1

Just seen from Channel 8.... my heart goes out to the parents who have their children in the ship, and we are talking abt 300+ children :(

The cruise ship sank in 2.5 hours after distress... watching in TV really make it look eerie , just like titanic ...

Hopefully they can recover those still missing (200+) ppl asap

Just seen from Channel 8.... my heart goes out to the parents who have their children in the ship, and we are talking abt 300+ children :(

The cruise ship sank in 2.5 hours after distress... watching in TV really make it look eerie , just like titanic ...

Hopefully they can recover those still missing (200+) ppl asap

To be exact 295 people, and the water cold u know as now still around 10 deg Celsius

Just heard channel 8 news said that the ship collided into the shallow coral and grounded then capsize, 2 pax demised, RIP to both of them [:(]

Hope those missing given strength to combat the cold weather

To be exact 295 people, and the water cold u know as now still around 10 deg Celsius

Hope those missing given strength to combat the cold weather

You don't scares big, scares small leh........... :o I am going off-shore deep sea fishing on 5th. ~ 12th. May 2014.

Next 2 weeks later, set sail also very kia si.......... [sweatdrop]

You don't scares big, scares small leh........... :o I am going off-shore deep sea fishing on 5th. ~ 12th. May 2014.

Next 2 weeks later, set sail also very kia si.......... [sweatdrop]

Frankly speaking if ship sunk u still can survive with life jacket. But u wont survive with a cold sea water even with life jacket. Reason why Titanic has high casualties its because of the freezing weather

Scared... I'm on my way to take a cruise.... If you guys don't see me next week......

That means u already live in paradise island with coconut girls

Hypersonic

Frankly speaking if ship sunk u still can survive with life jacket. But u wont survive with a cold sea water even with life jacket. Reason why Titanic has high casualties its because of the freezing weather

That means u already live in paradise island with coconut girls

Hyperthermia is the major killer if one is drifting in the sea. May not even survive one night.

I'm going with my wife and kids so no coconut girls allowed. Next time we organize one just for all the bros :D

• Praise 1

Mostly high school students still missing. RIP to the 2 confirmed casualties. Let's hope for all the others to be rescued soon.

Land, sea, space and sky disasters..... with quicker access to news, we seem to be surrounded with such sad news one after another.

Cherish loved ones and leave out the coconut, pineapple or rambuttan gals.... If in same mode of travel, likely perish together.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

Scared... I'm on my way to take a cruise.... If you guys don't see me next week......

Can you make a post everyday to assure us "Banana Girl" is still doing fine :o:wub:[inlove]

Hypersonic

Can you make a post everyday to assure us "Banana Girl" is still doing fine :o:wub:[inlove]

Wifi expensive on the cruise. I'll be back on Saturday. Don't miss me :D

Supersonic

Yeah looks pretty bad. Whole vessel is flipped over with keel facing the sky. Only hope is that the water seems to be pretty shallow and hopefully there are air pockets in the ship. But the watertight doors and such will need to be doing their job.

Seems like a lot of people still missing and might be trapped inside.

My thoughts are with them and the Coast Guard/Navy guys who are working to save them. It's still pretty chilly up there past sunset, anyone in the water is not going to survive the night.

This is very sad. I heard the news over the radio on my way back.

Really have no idea how the rescue operation will be conducted.

Now still searching 300 still lost

Probably some are stuck in the ship cabin when the ship suddenly slanted off levelling, could had throw them out of balance and lost their path to emergency exits [:(]