Audio Shop Recommendation

DarkFly3r

Hi hi, I'm not a guru.

Maybe you can share, what is the thing lacking that you're looking to improve. Not enough bass? Sound is too bright? Not warm enough? Vocals are muffled?

Did you change to component speakers or coaxial? Soundproofed your front doors?

If the source is lousy, Adding an amp will only amplify the lousy sound and make you more pek chek.

I changed to Hertz coaxial speakers

Basically the sound is tinny. All I can hear is treble. Low mids is not present at all. Bass can hear when stopped but magically disappears even when at low speeds. I read this could be due to some stock HU settings.

I guess I'm trying to get a system which will respond to my adjustment of the EQ. Now the adjustments achieves close to nothing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Need advice from gurus here. My stock head unit does not have any rca output, and there is no panel available to enable me to change to aftermarket head units. I've changed the front 2 speakers but the improvement is limited. Changing the bass, treble and mids on the EQ doesn't make much difference.

I do not wish to spend too much as well, would adding an amp make a difference?

Hi Legan,

Stock HU with rca is doable with hi-low converter or built in one for some amps but certainly not ideal.

What car are you driving since hard to imagine no aftermkt mounting plate ? Hope not tiong 100% electric car which may still have one ....

Changing of speakers should improve but depends also on what speakers and $ .. but it is the weakest link or smallest section of the audio pipe that matters .. starting from your HU and including installation/SP, cabling etc.

Cannot expect too much from typical HU without even rca output ....

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

Basically the sound is tinny. All I can hear is treble. Low mids is not present at all. Bass can hear when stopped but magically disappears even when at low speeds. I read this could be due to some stock HU settings.

I guess I'm trying to get a system which will respond to my adjustment of the EQ. Now the adjustments achieves close to nothing.

I'm guessing your HU is the limitation. Suggest you get a processor, a two way component speaker running passive, 4 channel amp and a 10" sub with a sealed box.

Do it one time, tune it one time and you'll never have to touch the settings again for the remainder of the coe lifespan

I'm guessing your HU is the limitation. Suggest you get a processor, a two way component speaker running passive, 4 channel amp and a 10" sub with a sealed box.

Do it one time, tune it one time and you'll never have to touch the settings again for the remainder of the coe lifespan âºï¸

Sounds expensive!

Sounds expensive!

You can drop by those installers, see if they have used equipment that their customers traded in.

Sometimes the equipment can be in great condition and fairly new, at a lower price.

And since it came from the installer, they can provide warranty of some sort too.

Hi Legan,

Stock HU with rca is doable with hi-low converter or built in one for some amps but certainly not ideal.

What car are you driving since hard to imagine no aftermkt mounting plate ? Hope not tiong 100% electric car which may still have one ....

Changing of speakers should improve but depends also on what speakers and $ .. but it is the weakest link or smallest section of the audio pipe that matters .. starting from your HU and including installation/SP, cabling etc.

Cannot expect too much from typical HU without even rca output ....

Cheers.

Richard

It's Kia Niro. If I can find shop willing to fabricate the panel, probably can just get any head unit from pioneer to solve the problem...

It's Kia Niro. If I can find shop willing to fabricate the panel, probably can just get any head unit from pioneer to solve the problem...

Try eBay and Amazon
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Hi Legan,

Forget about shop to fabricate since they cannot get it perfect like molded.

Please contact Seicane here to ask for right hand drive one as I can strangely only find left hand drive version for China:

https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/-/32834299643.html

For mentioned integrated dsp with amp, look no further for Helix P6 that allows most cost-effective 3 ways setup but this is when you decides budget of at least sgd5k with upgraded HU, 3 way speaker, soundproofing etc.

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/helix/amplifiers/p-six-dsp-mk2

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Sounds expensive!

Hi Legan,

Just get an active front underseat subwoofer for say sgd400 in all even for stock headunit then ... most cost effective and space saving but yet can make your setup sound good. Else also more amp, more power, rca, speaker cables

Especially for suv or mpv with open rear boot, your rear passengers will also thank you for not getting them headache ... which they will get by the time you can hear/feel it at front driver seats.

Cheers.

Richard

(edited)

Knowing the characteristics and xover frequencies of the speakers is very important. That is why going for meetups to gain listening experience is helping.

Try German maestro entry level, more mid bass but lacking in high freq clarity aka may sound "muddy" to some golden ears.

Edited by Cephas

(edited)

Dont bother lah... end up not much difference then u will get more upset because more money spent

Ur panel dont need to fabricate lah, looks like standard 2 din, maybe just cur abit can fit.. alpine halo 9 , good option

Edited by Budgetice
  • Praise 1

4th Gear

It's all about budget, isn't it.

You did not mention the car model...  change at least the front speakers (components will be great) and add an amp, that must come with high-level inputs.  Otherwise, you'll need high-level to RCA converters.  

Next will be to do sound-deadening on the front two doors (at least).

You can buy the above parts online and ship in at very affordable price.  It's the labour that's going to be an issue.  Also, be wary of installers (even those highly acclaimed one here in this forum) who would tell you while doing the installation that you'll need this cable, you'll need this part... just so they can "harass" some money from you on the spot.  To me, this is an unethical practice and no matter however good the workmanship is, which is separately paid for, I'd not recommend this kind of installer.  Most installers who are in existence for a while can do a decent job.

Need advice from gurus here. My stock head unit does not have any rca output, and there is no panel available to enable me to change to aftermarket head units. I've changed the front 2 speakers but the improvement is limited. Changing the bass, treble and mids on the EQ doesn't make much difference.

I do not wish to spend too much as well, would adding an amp make a difference?

It's all about budget, isn't it.

You did not mention the car model... change at least the front speakers (components will be great) and add an amp, that must come with high-level inputs. Otherwise, you'll need high-level to RCA converters.

Next will be to do sound-deadening on the front two doors (at least).

You can buy the above parts online and ship in at very affordable price. It's the labour that's going to be an issue. Also, be wary of installers (even those highly acclaimed one here in this forum) who would tell you while doing the installation that you'll need this cable, you'll need this part... just so they can "harass" some money from you on the spot. To me, this is an unethical practice and no matter however good the workmanship is, which is separately paid for, I'd not recommend this kind of installer. Most installers who are in existence for a while can do a decent job.

Very common in the local installer to rip your hard earn money....

Talking about ethical ?? It long over rated in sg

Willing party..

Some just assume by going to branded shop they will do good for you....

Golden ear to tune is over rated too.....

Will share how I tune once I complete my ice project..

4th Gear

Hi Meemee, I've been following your progress.  I don't have the energy to do what you're doing (although I'd love to) but hope some day can catch up with you perhaps just on how to diy a simple job of taking out the HU for switching the connections at the back.  I might need to plug in another USB cable on port 2 for Android.

Willing party..

Hi Meemee, I've been following your progress. I don't have the energy to do what you're doing (although I'd love to) but hope some day can catch up with you perhaps just on how to diy a simple job of taking out the HU for switching the connections at the back. I might need to plug in another USB cable on port 2 for Android.

Not too hard to remove head unit ...

Depend on maker also

Willing party..

I can tell you even those so called well known shops cannot be trusted one. They have to make money to survive. Some are just plain greedy and long time customers are their idea prey. They know that long time customers trust them and that's when they will bring out their knives to chop carrot
↡ Advertisement