Audio Shop Recommendation

DarkFly3r

(edited)

I went to Jason from JK Audio to for headunit, component speakers and amplifier installation.

My thought is that if you only require simple and no-frill installation, Jason can probably do the job, but expect nothing more. Below are my observations which I based my sharing on:

1. The USB cable from the headunit (to connect to your phone for Android Auto/Carplay), he actually suggested having the cable run through the car side with no concealment. It looks visibly awkward. I had to spend $50 elsewhere for a freelancer to help me conceal it and the freelancer did a much better job - cable was concealed and terminated in my armrest compartment. 

2. Did not connect the headlight wire to the headunit. My previous headunit display will dim when the headlight is switched on. He did not connect the wire to the new headunit and I only realized it after driving off. When I told him about it, his response is that he doesn't think I require the wire to be connected. 

3. No itemized breakdown in receipt. The cost was more expensive than the originally quoted amount (~ $100 more). When I asked for a receipt in case I need to come back for any rectification work, he said just go by the NETS receipt. 

He asked me to come back next time for sound dampening for my wheels - $80 per wheel. I am highly doubtful that I will return for sound dampening or audio installation. 

Edited by Splinter
↡ Advertisement

I went to Jason from JK Audio to for headunit, component speakers and amplifier installation.

My thought is that if you only require simple and no-frill installation, Jason can probably do the job, but expect nothing more. Below are my observations which I based my sharing on:

1. The USB cable from the headunit (to connect to your phone for Android Auto/Carplay), he actually suggested having the cable run through the car side with no concealment. It looks visibly awkward. I had to spend $50 elsewhere for a freelancer to help me conceal it and the freelancer did a much better job - cable was concealed and terminated in my armrest compartment.

2. Did not connect the headlight wire to the headunit. My previous headunit display will dim when the headlight is switched on. He did not connect the wire to the new headunit and I only realized it after driving off. When I told him about it, his response is that he doesn't think I require the wire to be connected.

3. No itemized breakdown in receipt. The cost was more expensive than the originally quoted amount (~ $100 more). When I asked for a receipt in case I need to come back for any rectification work, he said just go by the NETS receipt.

He asked me to come back next time for sound dampening for my wheels - $80 per wheel. I am highly doubtful that I will return for sound dampening or audio installation.

Installer from hell :)

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone, really new to car audio and I was previously fine with using stock Hu/speakers on the Honda Hrv but we just bought the Hyundai Avante n the speakers sound really bad cracking at high volume so I was looking to change.

Anyone has any recommendations on what I can do to improve the audio assuming I don’t change the Hu? Or any audio shop to recommend so maybe I can go ask (hopefully not get chopped too badly).. Budget around 1k (is that too little)?

Thanks everyone and it has been really great reading all the replies to this thread!

Hi everyone, really new to car audio and I was previously fine with using stock Hu/speakers on the Honda Hrv but we just bought the Hyundai Avante n the speakers sound really bad cracking at high volume so I was looking to change.

Anyone has any recommendations on what I can do to improve the audio assuming I donât change the Hu? Or any audio shop to recommend so maybe I can go ask (hopefully not get chopped too badly).. Budget around 1k (is that too little)?

Thanks everyone and it has been really great reading all the replies to this thread!

Unless the sound quality is not good at normal listening levels then it makes sense to change.

Else if it sounds ok but just cracks at high volume then just don’t blast so high

• Praise 1

Anyone has any recommendations on what I can do to improve the audio assuming I donât change the Hu? Or any audio shop to recommend so maybe I can go ask (hopefully not get chopped too badly).. Budget around 1k (is that too little)?

Come for car audition ....

Let join the chat group

https://chat.whatsapp.com/2iJlM0MeDxl4NnwZHaVPRh

Care to share what items n price u install? Tks

I bought my own component speakers, head unit and amplifier, so it's purely installation.

Price quoted was $180 but it ended up to be more than $350.

It's my first time changing my audio system, so I thought the quoted cost is 'all-in' but along the installation, there were miscellaneous items (fuse, etc) that have to be added. 

Do let me know if this is usually the case, I am a beginner as well, appreciate any sharing. :)

Neutral Newbie

Unless the sound quality is not good at normal listening levels then it makes sense to change.

Else if it sounds ok but just cracks at high volume then just donât blast so high

actually it starts cracking when the bass comes on at normal volume so its impossible listening to bass heavy songs unless maybe if im playing it to ants aka soft volume... sad max.

(edited)

I bought my own component speakers, head unit and amplifier, so it's purely installation.

It's my first time changing my audio system, so I thought the quoted cost is 'all-in' but along the installation, there were miscellaneous items (fuse, etc) that have to be added. 

Do let me know if this is usually the case, I am a beginner as well, appreciate any sharing. :)

no way it'll be $180 lah. You are right, the power / speaker cables, fuses etc .... Including of labour, $180 is considered cheap !!  Unless is freelance ............. 

Anyone has any recommendations on what I can do to improve the audio assuming I don’t change the Hu? Or any audio shop to recommend so maybe I can go ask (hopefully not get chopped too badly).. Budget around 1k (is that too little)?

if retain HU, dun need $1k lah. Just a simple speakers upgrade enough. $300 more than enough. 

Edited by Othello

actually it starts cracking when the bass comes on at normal volume so its impossible listening to bass heavy songs unless maybe if im playing it to ants aka soft volume... sad max.

Need to add damper material

4th Gear

No, not normal - but to be precise, it's normal of certain unethical shops.  Before commenting further, you'll need to provide more information.

Last year, I called up the installer, who was very friendly on the phone and had no qualm to accept an installation job only and welcome people who buy their own components.  I had all the components ready to go, including wiring kit, fuse, etc....  The installer asked me to go show him all the components.  He quoted $500 for installation, and never mentioned anything short.

During the installation, they would somehow find something and tell you this and that are needed, or cable is too long, etc... and make you buy their highly-marked up component – holding you ransom in a way. 

This practice is highly unethical and should be highlighted for all to know.  Even a second job of buying a brand new HU they would ask me to pay for a flimsy $30 12” long damned antenna cable they asked me pay additional in the middle of the installation.

No, not normal - but to be precise, it's normal of certain unethical shops. Before commenting further, you'll need to provide more information.

Last year, I called up the installer, who was very friendly on the phone and had no qualm to accept an installation job only and welcome people who buy their own components. I had all the components ready to go, including wiring kit, fuse, etc.... The installer asked me to go show him all the components. He quoted $500 for installation, and never mentioned anything short.

During the installation, they would somehow find something and tell you this and that are needed, or cable is too long, etc... and make you buy their highly-marked up component â holding you ransom in a way.

This practice is highly unethical and should be highlighted for all to know. Even a second job of buying a brand new HU they would ask me to pay for a flimsy $30 12â long damned antenna cable they asked me pay additional in the middle of the installation.

Which shops you encounter?

4th Gear

The one that's highly acclaimed on this thread (I think).

Which shops you encounter?

I received your PM. Very shocked that he have to resort to this dirty method. Last time he drove an altis, now driving a C class. But still should not do that.

The one that's highly acclaimed on this thread (I think).

(edited)

Actually if you just want to replace the bad speakers with better ones you can just DIY. I did that for my previous car cos the original speakers sounded muffled.

If you are say just replacing the front speakers look for co-axial speakers. Anyway I also search and read up online. The advise is also good.

If you want the works look for component speakers + whatever you want to install.

I bought everything online including the speakers, wire hardness and mounting bracket.

Next challenge is removing the door trim. Usually there's two bolts holding locking the door trim. One at the door open lever, you must pry open the plastic cover to see the bolt. and the other is around the door handle or armrest. If there's a door pocket it's underneath the rubber cover. After removing the two bolts you can start yanking the door trim from the bottom, popping the pins as you go around the trim. There's the door lever mechanism to unhook. There's also the power window wiring. You can just unplug it and the door trim would be freed.

Take measurements of the speaker size take photo of the connectors and mounting and start searching online shops. Type in key words like car brand, "speaker wire harness". Speakers do come with some simple mounting bracket. Unless you see that the bracket is unusual then you need to hunt for one. Make sure speaker's overall height doesn't block the power windows.

I only replaced the front speakers. It sounded a lot of sharper than the stock speakers.

I suggest you search Youtube video of your car or of the same brand. Then you will have an idea of how to to remove the door trim. It's actually not difficult after you have watched the video. LoL...

If your speakers started to crack it may be corroded or you find a lot of rust. Yeah, I did notice rain water can get to the speakers. I did try to put some plastic sleeve I cut from flies or folder to deflect the rain water. It helps. Try to seal your wire harness connectors too. Actually the more you know the more headache you get. LoL...

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Actually if you just want to replace the bad speakers with better ones you can just DIY. I did that for my previous car cos the original speakers sounded muffled.

If you are say just replacing the front speakers look for co-axial speakers. Anyway I also search and read up online. The advise is also good.

If you want the works look for component speakers + whatever you want to install.

I bought everything online including the speakers, wire hardness and mounting bracket.

Next challenge is removing the door trim. Usually there's two bolts holding locking the door trim. One at the door open lever, you must pry open the plastic cover to see the bolt. and the other is around the door handle or armrest. If there's a door pocket it's underneath the rubber cover. After removing the two bolts you can start yanking the door trim from the bottom, popping the pins as you go around the trim. There's the door lever mechanism to unhook. There's also the power window wiring. You can just unplug it and the door trim would be freed.

Take measurements of the speaker size take photo of the connectors and mounting and start searching online shops. Type in key words like car brand, "speaker wire harness". Speakers do come with some simple mounting bracket. Unless you see that the bracket is unusual then you need to hunt for one. Make sure speaker's overall height doesn't block the power windows.

I only replaced the front speakers. It sounded a lot of sharper than the stock speakers.

I suggest you search Youtube video of your car or of the same brand. Then you will have an idea of how to to remove the door trim. It's actually not difficult after you have watched the video. LoL...

If your speakers started to crack it may be corroded or you find a lot of rust. Yeah, I did notice rain water can get to the speakers. I did try to put some plastic sleeve I cut from flies or folder to deflect the rain water. It helps. Try to seal your wire harness connectors too. Actually the more you know the more headache you get. LoL...

Totally agree...

Not as hard as what it seem to be

No, not normal - but to be precise, it's normal of certain unethical shops.  Before commenting further, you'll need to provide more information.

Last year, I called up the installer, who was very friendly on the phone and had no qualm to accept an installation job only and welcome people who buy their own components.  I had all the components ready to go, including wiring kit, fuse, etc....  The installer asked me to go show him all the components.  He quoted $500 for installation, and never mentioned anything short.

During the installation, they would somehow find something and tell you this and that are needed, or cable is too long, etc... and make you buy their highly-marked up component – holding you ransom in a way. 

This practice is highly unethical and should be highlighted for all to know.  Even a second job of buying a brand new HU they would ask me to pay for a flimsy $30 12” long damned antenna cable they asked me pay additional in the middle of the installation.

The shop that I went is JK Audio at Sembawang/Yishun.

Before my visit, I had messaged the installer with a breakdown of items that I want to install and which I will be buying on my own. The price he quoted was reasonable considering I received lower quote on Carousell. Afterall, having a shopfront provides some comfort as compared to freelancer installer who might just disappear when issue occurs.

On the day of installation, he showed me 3 reels of cable and told me the cost of each cable. He added that for best sound quality, I should get the top-end cable, i.e. the most expensive one but the choice is up to me. I took the mid-tier cable. 

At the end of the installation, he mentally quoted me the cost (> $350). Considering (a) he left his screwdriver under my car carpet, (b) did not place the glovebox stopper back at its original position © and did not connect the headlamp wire to the headunit, I am surprised that he can mentally arrive at the cost. 

My needs are pretty simple, shops to hold true to their quoted cost (slight difference is fine). Just hope my encounter is an isolated incident. :)

↡ Advertisement