Audio Shop Recommendation

DarkFly3r

For your budget, get those basic ice package that comes with component speakers and amp (NB: with installation and all associated cables etc) from the audio shop. ignore any proposal to upgrade to better speakers cable, better RCA, better..... Etc

Thank you for your reply. I see if I get a proper amp it will definitely eat into the budget for speakers. Will the budget left suffice for a sufficient enough sub as per my original post and proper speakers to match that amp? My head unit is built in and the only replacement is some android made in China screen. Currently my lcd head unit is with maps and various car functions integrated so don't think I have budget to swap out the head unit.

I will go look at shop packages to see if any amp plus matched speakers will fall below 800.

- Head Unit: It should be replaceable.

- Subwoofer: If space is a constraint, you may opt for an underseat active subwoofer. It would not be very clean and smooth, but at least you get a more balanced sound.

- Amplifiers: Having amplifiers will improve the sound quality (cleaner, less distortions, more efficient).

- Speakers: You are right, you would need to match the speakers to amps/without amps power rating as a general rule. There are speakers that do not require amplifiers or they are optional as they have a lower power requirement.

In terms of a most basic upgrade, I would opt for changing to a good head unit, speakers and maybe get an active underseat subwoofer.

Thank you for your reply. My head unit if replaced I will lose alot of integrated functions etc. Given that front doors stock speaker is 20w I think the head unit only probably puts out 10 to 20w x 4 at most.

Your suggestion of underseat sub I see as a valid and acceptable suggestion. I will consider that due to tight budget.

Do you happen to know where I can find out information on matching speakers to amps or matching speakers to original head units (those built in kinds)?

↡ Advertisement

- Head Unit: It should be replaceable.

- Subwoofer: If space is a constraint, you may opt for an underseat active subwoofer. It would not be very clean and smooth, but at least you get a more balanced sound.

- Amplifiers: Having amplifiers will improve the sound quality (cleaner, less distortions, more efficient).

- Speakers: You are right, you would need to match the speakers to amps/without amps power rating as a general rule. There are speakers that do not require amplifiers or they are optional as they have a lower power requirement.

In terms of a most basic upgrade, I would opt for changing to a good head unit, speakers and maybe get an active underseat subwoofer.

Yes a good head unit

Thank you for your reply. I see if I get a proper amp it will definitely eat into the budget for speakers. Will the budget left suffice for a sufficient enough sub as per my original post and proper speakers to match that amp? My head unit is built in and the only replacement is some android made in China screen. Currently my lcd head unit is with maps and various car functions integrated so don't think I have budget to swap out the head unit.

I will go look at shop packages to see if any amp plus matched speakers will fall below 800.

Thank you for your reply. My head unit if replaced I will lose alot of integrated functions etc. Given that front doors stock speaker is 20w I think the head unit only probably puts out 10 to 20w x 4 at most.

Your suggestion of underseat sub I see as a valid and acceptable suggestion. I will consider that due to tight budget.

Do you happen to know where I can find out information on matching speakers to amps or matching speakers to original head units (those built in kinds)?

Do progressively and enjoy the process..

Rather then just keep changing speaker or amp....

Get a decent component and it can reduce the needs of addition labour cost

Unless you are a diy person

Do progressively and enjoy the process..

Rather then just keep changing speaker or amp....

Get a decent component and it can reduce the needs of addition labour cost

Unless you are a diy person

• Praise 1

like what meemee mentioned, some things can be done progressively. would actually suggest that you listen to setups (if possible in real cars, else at audio shops) with and without amps first. also to understand that different brands of speakers have different sound characteristics.

in general, most audio brands' entry level speakers would allow an easy direct replacement without amps.

like what meemee mentioned, some things can be done progressively. would actually suggest that you listen to setups (if possible in real cars, else at audio shops) with and without amps first. also to understand that different brands of speakers have different sound characteristics.

in general, most audio brands' entry level speakers would allow an easy direct replacement without amps.

I see where all of you are coming from. I should spend the time to listen to the cars and have my own experience what I really like or not then from there make a plan what I want to do.

I see where all of you are coming from. I should spend the time to listen to the cars and have my own experience what I really like or not then from there make a plan what I want to do.

yup, if you have time. =) otherwise just visit a audio shop or two that have demo sets. also do some readup on car audio 101 if you can.

in terms if brands, perhaps hertz, alpine, pioneer, steg, focal might suit your budget.

Am new to ice scene. Just bought a new car. Hyundai kona. The head unit doesn't seem removable or replaceable. I checked the doors had tweeter and woofer. The woofer is 20w.

What is recommended for upgrade? Say my budget is 800 dollars. What upgrade is best bang for buck. Just want impressive sq. Not competition but when layman sit they will feel impressed. Bass wise want tight firm bass but not those ah being boom boom bass. My boot also no space for sub. Need put baby pram. Any recommendations? Another question on my mind is I see alot of pple with amps but some don't use amp. So does selection of the speaker Watts matter if u cannot afford amp? How do u choose.

For headunit, check if there is a compaitblr canbus module that can let u retain some of the function.

For $800, get a pair of easy to drive speaker with a passive sub

Else increase ur budget to 1.8k and check out Foon audio’s latest promo..

If u are not going to diy, dont upgrade progressively. You end up paying alot more.

• Praise 1

For headunit, check if there is a compaitblr canbus module that can let u retain some of the function.

For $800, get a pair of easy to drive speaker with a passive sub

Else increase ur budget to 1.8k and check out Foon audioâs latest promo..

If u are not going to diy, dont upgrade progressively. You end up paying alot more.

One time do ...

Need how much ???

One time do ...

Need how much ???

1.7k loh, bring a buddy cheaper.. u want him to let the installer tear up the car so many times meh? One time one installation charge plus higher risk of getting scratches
  • Praise 1

1.7k loh, bring a buddy cheaper.. u want him to let the installer tear up the car so many times meh? One time one installation charge plus higher risk of getting scratches

Later not happy with 1.7k setup how ???

Here any with $XX,XXX.XX

SET UP

Later not happy with 1.7k setup how ???

Here any with $XX,XXX.XX

SET UP

How u know he wont be happy?

U think i shooting u ah? Get a life if u think so lah

each time install one thing vs one time install all, the cost will be higher

Edited by Budgetice

How u know he wont be happy?

U think i shooting u ah? Get a life if u think so lah

each time install one thing vs one time install all, the cost will be higher

I'm saying this just to pre caution him.

There are fellow that i know off..

Keep spending and totally not satify with what ever set up.

I know of fellow who are happy with stock

I'm saying this just to pre caution him.

There are fellow that i know off..

Keep spending and totally not satify with what ever set up.

I know of fellow who are happy with stock

Okok.. sorry yah .. i never study much

Why u all fight. I understand 1 time spend its cheaper but must be satisfy with product.

Btw what is dsp and why some amp have dsp. Why is it needed.

Does foon promotion include those custom door grille and a pillar? If not what is the damage for those 2.

• Praise 1

Why u all fight. I understand 1 time spend its cheaper but must be satisfy with product.

Does foon promotion include those custom door grille and a pillar? If not what is the damage for those 2.

Come for a GET together ...

Organizing an event around children day.

Best is to know what are the major component in a car audio system.

Amp / speaker / hu / dsp

Dsp -

Listen to some of the bro setup and make judgment yourself

"https://youtu.be/82pYzfP7Plc"

"https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/car-amplifiers/xm-gs6dsp"

Edited by Meemee

dsp is just like an "advanced equaliser" in the most layman. with it, music would sound more natural and accurate, and create a better music staging. https://www.autance.com/add-a-digital-sound-processor-to-car-audio-system/

some opt for having dsp and amp serperately, while others combine it. pros and cons. for cost and value, often, buying a 2 in 1 may make better sense. =)

custom grilles and pillars are additional cost. i guess they can be around the figure of 1000.

• Praise 1

dsp is just like an "advanced equaliser" in the most layman. with it, music would sound more natural and accurate, and create a better music staging. https://www.autance.com/add-a-digital-sound-processor-to-car-audio-system/

some opt for having dsp and amp serperately, while others combine it. pros and cons. for cost and value, often, buying a 2 in 1 may make better sense. =)

custom grilles and pillars are additional cost. i guess they can be around the figure of 1000.

But often need to tune ....

Else it will sound messy

↡ Advertisement