Audio Shop Recommendation

DarkFly3r

Foon Audio is good but prepare to wait longer time for your turn as they are careful with their work and usually take a bit longer to finish the installation.

I bought my own component speakers, head unit and amplifier, so it's purely installation.

Price quoted was $180 but it ended up to be more than $350.

It's my first time changing my audio system, so I thought the quoted cost is 'all-in' but along the installation, there were miscellaneous items (fuse, etc) that have to be added. 

Do let me know if this is usually the case, I am a beginner as well, appreciate any sharing. :)

Look for Ah Meng @ 8133 0937..

Honest Freelance installer..

• Praise 3

Hi everyone, really new to car audio and I was previously fine with using stock Hu/speakers on the Honda Hrv but we just bought the Hyundai Avante n the speakers sound really bad cracking at high volume so I was looking to change.

Anyone has any recommendations on what I can do to improve the audio assuming I donât change the Hu? Or any audio shop to recommend so maybe I can go ask (hopefully not get chopped too badly).. Budget around 1k (is that too little)?

Thanks everyone and it has been really great reading all the replies to this thread!

You may like ti check the setting on the HU e.g. bass/treble or eq control. It could be that it is tuned too high at certain band of freq. Set it to flat and fine tuned it to your liking but avoid setting it to max, 2 levels above and below should be ok.

(edited)

I am looking for installer to install the following:

1.replace stock speakers in front and rear door with new speakers (3-way front Comp, 2 way coxial rear)

2. install Alpine Amp V12 MRV-F405

3. Install Alpine Underseat subwoofer SWE-1080

4. setup Alpine H701 to my Headunit

I am looking at a 3-way setup and if possible the full 5.1 system.

Anyone know of shop or installer that doesn't chop for such installation?

these are older parts from the early 2000s but they are working well when removed last time, so I like to have them on my car again.

Thanks

Edited by Lplater

I am looking for installer to install the following:

1.replace stock speakers in front and rear door with new speakers (3-way front Comp, 2 way coxial rear)

2. install Alpine Amp V12 MRV-F405

3. Install Alpine Underseat subwoofer SWE-1080

4. setup Alpine H701 to my Headunit

I am looking at a 3-way setup and if possible the full 5.1 system.

Anyone know of shop or installer that doesn't chop for such installation?

these are older parts from the early 2000s but they are working well when removed last time, so I like to have them on my car again.

Thanks

Come for audition

No, not normal - but to be precise, it's normal of certain unethical shops. Before commenting further, you'll need to provide more information.

Last year, I called up the installer, who was very friendly on the phone and had no qualm to accept an installation job only and welcome people who buy their own components. I had all the components ready to go, including wiring kit, fuse, etc.... The installer asked me to go show him all the components. He quoted $500 for installation, and never mentioned anything short.

During the installation, they would somehow find something and tell you this and that are needed, or cable is too long, etc... and make you buy their highly-marked up component â holding you ransom in a way.

This practice is highly unethical and should be highlighted for all to know. Even a second job of buying a brand new HU they would ask me to pay for a flimsy $30 12â long damned antenna cable they asked me pay additional in the middle of the installation.

Was it the boss or his worker that did these?
  • Praise 1

The shop that I went is JK Audio at Sembawang/Yishun.

Before my visit, I had messaged the installer with a breakdown of items that I want to install and which I will be buying on my own. The price he quoted was reasonable considering I received lower quote on Carousell. Afterall, having a shopfront provides some comfort as compared to freelancer installer who might just disappear when issue occurs.

On the day of installation, he showed me 3 reels of cable and told me the cost of each cable. He added that for best sound quality, I should get the top-end cable, i.e. the most expensive one but the choice is up to me. I took the mid-tier cable. 

At the end of the installation, he mentally quoted me the cost (> $350). Considering (a) he left his screwdriver under my car carpet, (b) did not place the glovebox stopper back at its original position © and did not connect the headlamp wire to the headunit, I am surprised that he can mentally arrive at the cost. 

My needs are pretty simple, shops to hold true to their quoted cost (slight difference is fine). Just hope my encounter is an isolated incident. :)

I used JK Audio some years back to replace a 1DIN unit with a 2DIN Pioneer unit I bought from Mustafa and added a reversing camera, all in he charged me $110. Never tried to upsell me anything I didn't ask for. 

But I also didn't get any free screwdrivers under the carpet......

They were at it together.  During and at the end of the job, the boss was clearly aware of the "additional" items the men said, and he was the one who tallied up the bill and collected the payment.

Care to explain what you were thinking ?

Was it the boss or his worker that did these?

They were at it together. During and at the end of the job, the boss was clearly aware of the "additional" items the men said, and he was the one who tallied up the bill and collected the payment.

Care to explain what you were thinking ?

I've known Foon for 12 years and I trust his integrity.

His business is so good that he doesn't need to resort to 小动作 to earn that little bit more margin.

But different people will have different views so I respect that.

• Praise 2

(edited)

I went to the shop after reading some referrals (read, not detailed reviews by any means) here and after my own experience, I wondered why the big discrepancy for myself and some others who had similar bad experience compared to the rest who thought otherwise.

I reckoned if I'm a noob, who would ask him what I should get, listened to his sales pitch and then throw in some 10k or 20k to go with his recommendations, that might be a different experience.

I respect your view as well but it will be a disservice for the community if other experience is not being reported at the same time.

I've known Foon for 12 years and I trust his integrity.

His business is so good that he doesn't need to resort to 小动作 to earn that little bit more margin.

But different people will have different views so I respect that.

Edited by Reo

I used JK Audio some years back to replace a 1DIN unit with a 2DIN Pioneer unit I bought from Mustafa and added a reversing camera, all in he charged me $110. Never tried to upsell me anything I didn't ask for.

But I also didn't get any free screwdrivers under the carpet......

Some years back as compared to my recent experience, does it mean things have changed for the worse?

I am just sharing my own experience and a recent one this year. Others may feel free to share theirs for a fair assessment.

Some years back as compared to my recent experience, does it mean things have changed for the worse?

I am just sharing my own experience and a recent one this year. Others may feel free to share theirs for a fair assessment.

Your experience is valid and valuable, mine less so because it’s been some time ago. If JK has become less good, there is nothing wrong to state so.

Personally I have had no reason to go back recently and that is definitely a good thing for me.

Hello not sure whether anyone encounter before... my Cruze 2012 the infotainment display blackout... so means cant see my reverse cam, cant see other settings on the display. But funny my radio is still working. 

Can anyone recommend go where repair? or really need change the whole stock player?

Can anyone recommend me an freelance installer? 

My right front speaker cracking when there is bass... don't dare to go to those audio shop, worry that i might get carrot.

Can anyone recommend me an freelance installer?

My right front speaker cracking when there is bass... don't dare to go to those audio shop, worry that i might get carrot.

Come to me.

What you wanna tune ?

Which dsp you using?

You are able to do tuning? How about 3-way active setup using old Match PP82 DSP?

What is the latest tuning software currently used by our local tuners? 

↡ Advertisement