Hyundai Sonata (2015)

Thaiyotakamli

5th Gear
(edited)

Left side rear light cluster leaking water after rain. Brought back to Komoco yesterday. Waited 2.5 hours for them to take the car in to inspect... result: replace under warranty... got wait between 4-6 weeks for the light to arrive from Korea.

Hyundai always has good warranty policies... my car is 3 years old now...

Oh. What is the cause of it? cracked housing? Got chance to change to full LED type for brake light portion (also OEM original) haha...

Think there is some clicking noise on my steering. Suspect it is the small piece of rubber coupler or something that look like a washer.

Looks like I should also make use of the warranty....  

Edited by Alfc
↡ Advertisement

Oh. What is the cause of it? cracked housing? Got chance to change to full LED type for brake light portion (also OEM original) haha...

Think there is some clicking noise on my steering. Suspect it is the small piece of rubber coupler or something that look like a washer.

Looks like I should also make use of the warranty....

Eh? The rear light cluster is already fully LED right? Only the reverse lights are bulb type I think...

Yeah send it back in for checks... just need to wait lor... I didn't make any appointment... just walked in...

5th Gear

Eh? The rear light cluster is already fully LED right? Only the reverse lights are bulb type I think...

Yeah send it back in for checks... just need to wait lor... I didn't make any appointment... just walked in...

Nope. The red glow marker lights are LED but the brake lights are normal bulb. If you look at the top spec in Korea, China and US, the brake lights are individual LED bulbs.

• Praise 1

Nope. The red glow marker lights are LED but the brake lights are normal bulb. If you look at the top spec in Korea, China and US, the brake lights are individual LED bulbs.

Oh I didn't know that... actually I don't know what is wrong with the rear lights and so why it leaks... probably some sealing is gone... never hit the light cluster... so must be deterioration of the weather seals... when I lift my boot lid, the water will rush out through the boot lid... that's how I found out it leaked... cos I seldom take a glance at the car.... ha ha ha...

Anyway the rear light cluster has been fixed up for about 2 weeks now... but not much rain... so don't really know if it still leaks or not... I guess it should not since it's brand new...

Hey Guys, noob question here. I got an alert from the car telling me my car key remote is running low on battery. How to change ah? Go back to Komoco?

• Praise 1

Hey Guys, noob question here. I got an alert from the car telling me my car key remote is running low on battery. How to change ah? Go back to Komoco?

Ah I just had mine changed... I went back to Komoco and the service staff at the service centre struggled to open the smart key. In the end, they damaged the casing a little. Now when I press the tiny silver button to release the emergency key, there isn't that tactile spring loaded feel anymore. And when I push in the key, it doesn't secure with a satisfying click sound.

I actually texted my SE and he brought me to the service counters and asked them to help open it for me. Then he directed me opposite to Dawson Centre to buy batteries. He said it's much cheaper... don't get Komoco to do the replacement, super expensive. I don't know how much cos he didn't say.

I posted a photo some pages before of how the opened smart key looks like... and where you have to prise to open it up.

Basically remove the emergency key from the remote, flip it around, insert the keychain loop into the opening and twist the key. It would prise open the remote casing. You just need to be brave to open it yourself... otherwise like me, chicken type... I went back to Komoco... ha ha ha...

By the way, my SE said replacing the damaged smart key will cost upwards of $400... cos if you crack the body irreversibly... then... I don't know man... ha ha...

Or if you adventurous to DIY, think there is a YouTube video that shows how to do it. Just search. It is Similar to what mingern describe. But of course watching and doing may be different.

Anyway the rear light cluster has been fixed up for about 2 weeks now... but not much rain... so don't really know if it still leaks or not... I guess it should not since it's brand new...

Just try pour a pail of water over it to test? Is the light still balanced I.e same brightness for both sides? Sometimes new bulb are brighter. I a bit OCD so will change both bulbs when 1 side brighter when one bulb blow Haha..

Ah I just had mine changed... I went back to Komoco and the service staff at the service centre struggled to open the smart key. In the end, they damaged the casing a little. Now when I press the tiny silver button to release the emergency key, there isn't that tactile spring loaded feel anymore. And when I push in the key, it doesn't secure with a satisfying click sound.

I actually texted my SE and he brought me to the service counters and asked them to help open it for me. Then he directed me opposite to Dawson Centre to buy batteries. He said it's much cheaper... don't get Komoco to do the replacement, super expensive. I don't know how much cos he didn't say.

I posted a photo some pages before of how the opened smart key looks like... and where you have to prise to open it up.

Basically remove the emergency key from the remote, flip it around, insert the keychain loop into the opening and twist the key. It would prise open the remote casing. You just need to be brave to open it yourself... otherwise like me, chicken type... I went back to Komoco... ha ha ha...

By the way, my SE said replacing the damaged smart key will cost upwards of $400... cos if you crack the body irreversibly... then... I don't know man... ha ha...

Thanks Bro! Looking at specialized car key shops like soxxi. I’ll update to let you all know how much it is.

So I managed to find this shop in Kaki Bukit called Car Key Zone. Cost me $15 to change the battery and he checked my spare key which wasn’t used at all for 3 years and told me left 1/4 batt left.

So I changed both for $30 and problem solved for another few years. He said this type of car key remote consumes more battery than normal car so best practice is to change once every 2 years and to prolong the battery is to alternate use of car keys every 3 months.

But to Bros who wanna save $, can DIY. The way he open like damn easy and that same battery probably cost $1 at any value shop. Ride safe Bros!

• Praise 1

So I managed to find this shop in Kaki Bukit called Car Key Zone. Cost me $15 to change the battery and he checked my spare key which wasnât used at all for 3 years and told me left 1/4 batt left.

So I changed both for $30 and problem solved for another few years. He said this type of car key remote consumes more battery than normal car so best practice is to change once every 2 years and to prolong the battery is to alternate use of car keys every 3 months.

But to Bros who wanna save $, can DIY. The way he open like damn easy and that same battery probably cost $1 at any value shop. Ride safe Bros!

Yeah lor... ha ha... he's experienced lar... did he do what I described? Or did he use a pry tool?

Or if you adventurous to DIY, think there is a YouTube video that shows how to do it. Just search. It is Similar to what mingern describe. But of course watching and doing may be different.

Just try pour a pail of water over it to test? Is the light still balanced I.e same brightness for both sides? Sometimes new bulb are brighter. I a bit OCD so will change both bulbs when 1 side brighter when one bulb blow Haha..

Ha ha... I not so OCD... but really I haven't checked... forgot all about it... anyway maybe will do so next Mon... and report back... it rained like crazy yesterday on my drive home... but I also forgot to check... will check later... heh heh...

Anyway I got some magnetic shades for our car model from a Qoo10 seller... $30 for 6 pieces... 2 front, 2 rear side windows, 2 three-quarter window. The last is useless lar... fit is ok, not perfect. Got some gaps at the corners, height slightly shorter but might be so that it is easier to remove. Magnets quite strong, so not so easy to remove. Probably not the same quality as the original Laser Shades which costs upwards of $250 when I asked 3 years ago before I got my car. Good enough... for me that is...

Yeah lor... ha ha... he's experienced lar... did he do what I described? Or did he use a pry tool?

Ha ha... I not so OCD... but really I haven't checked... forgot all about it... anyway maybe will do so next Mon... and report back... it rained like crazy yesterday on my drive home... but I also forgot to check... will check later... heh heh...

Anyway I got some magnetic shades for our car model from a Qoo10 seller... $30 for 6 pieces... 2 front, 2 rear side windows, 2 three-quarter window. The last is useless lar... fit is ok, not perfect. Got some gaps at the corners, height slightly shorter but might be so that it is easier to remove. Magnets quite strong, so not so easy to remove. Probably not the same quality as the original Laser Shades which costs upwards of $250 when I asked 3 years ago before I got my car. Good enough... for me that is...

Saw those shades too. After you attached to the door, does it press against the inner rubber seals?

What is the impact on night vision?

Saw those shades too. After you attached to the door, does it press against the inner rubber seals?

What is the impact on night vision?

The window frame isn't flat but actually arced... so the shade doesn't really press on the rubber seals... since our window frame only has metal bits at the top and front vertical strut of the frame (for rear window) and top and back vertical strut of the frame (for front window), effectively the shade only latches onto 2 out of the 4 sides of the window frame... the other two sides are the rubber seal where the window slides into and the other vertical frame strut.

I actually don't have it on all the time. My purpose for buying this to shade my baby when driving into Malaysia for long road trips... ha ha... so I can't answer the night vision question... for day time definitely visual acuity drops quite significantly in my opinion... not something I will use on my windows if not for the sun... will only use during the day...

The window frame isn't flat but actually arced... so the shade doesn't really press on the rubber seals... since our window frame only has metal bits at the top and front vertical strut of the frame (for rear window) and top and back vertical strut of the frame (for front window), effectively the shade only latches onto 2 out of the 4 sides of the window frame... the other two sides are the rubber seal where the window slides into and the other vertical frame strut.

I actually don't have it on all the time. My purpose for buying this to shade my baby when driving into Malaysia for long road trips... ha ha... so I can't answer the night vision question... for day time definitely visual acuity drops quite significantly in my opinion... not something I will use on my windows if not for the sun... will only use during the day...

Thanks for your feedback. You have hit all the spots that I was considering whether to buy or not. Since I already got tint, was considering the downsides of having this. I encountered quite a few times already that many cars with these on actually failed to notice me on their side especially at night.

On the rubber seal part, good that it is not pressing on it as it will leave an indent in the seal after you remove it a couple of years later when the magnetic dun work anymore.

Thanks for your feedback. You have hit all the spots that I was considering whether to buy or not. Since I already got tint, was considering the downsides of having this. I encountered quite a few times already that many cars with these on actually failed to notice me on their side especially at night.

On the rubber seal part, good that it is not pressing on it as it will leave an indent in the seal after you remove it a couple of years later when the magnetic dun work anymore.

Yeah lor... the irony of it all is that LTA doesn't allow less than 70% light transmission through the front windscreen and front windows but allows this shade that effectively does the same thing... reason for not allowing darker tint is for law enforcement... ok I buy that... but these shades? Even worse visibility of passengers inside...

With the heat, I don't know how long the magnets will last... heh heh...

So he never use anything. Take out the key and using his bare hands, just pull a certain angle and it just opened. Lol he charged me $1 on the battery and $14 for knowing where to pull. But he deserved it la.. no drama, quick and easy. $30 for piece of mind for next 4 years doesn’t seemed too bad as well.

I have these as well. Bought from Q00 a year plus back at $70+ for 6 pieces as well. Last 2 really useless. Sometimes I brake hard it will come out haha. I only used on the front passenger side. It’s actually pretty good and doesn’t block my view at all. Outside can’t see it but we still are able to see outside. If you wanna try it, can meet up and let you try before u decide if you want to buy.

Wah... long time never visit this thread... my car is almost 54,000 km already... the tires still pretty good... so far the car is quite excellent... smooth and quiet... love the drive and ride up NSHW... really comfortable highway cruiser...

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, teomingern said:

Wah... long time never visit this thread... my car is almost 54,000 km already... the tires still pretty good... so far the car is quite excellent... smooth and quiet... love the drive and ride up NSHW... really comfortable highway cruiser...

Amazing still on stock tyre. Quiet thread waiting for your tyre shopping update. Also nothing really to complain about the car so nothing to post haha. 

Btw do you work somewhere in the south? 

↡ Advertisement