Hyundai Sonata (2015)

Thaiyotakamli

Hello bro Alfc, just got my tires changed:

Yokohama BlueEarth-GT - $170 per piece. Changed 4 and kept the original Kumho as spare.

The original Kumho Solus XC ran about 59,514 km. You can see the graining on the tires. There are quite a lot of cracks and chips. Mechanic said that time to change, said the rubber has aged... he also said the car should run quieter.

Actually our car's soundproofing quite good... the difference isn't very big. But just now as I was driving along PIE and on arterial roads towards Kallang area, I find the ride more gentle and quieter, less thumping on the broken tarmac where there was lots of patching. Overall I think the ride is quieter in that sense, not the tire roar which wasn't present much anyway.

I attach two photos of the old tires. And a few of the new ones.

20200318_120308.jpg

20200318_120248.jpg

Thanks for sharing, enjoy them while they are new. That's where the biggest difference is initially experienced when changing out old to new tyres. 

For my "sticky" steering, you will experience some sort of resistance to the steering wheel when you try to move it. Some kind of click sound that comes and goes as you adjust the steering wheel left or right (especially when driving on straight roads and making small adjustments to stay in lane). There is some publication on this issue if you google but it seems to affect US LF Sonatas and what I heard is there is some steering rack issue for some of the local Elantra batches. Not sure if it is the same though so will ask AD to check it out thoroughly on next service. It can get irritating especially when all else is nice to drive.

Anyone know any cheap workshop or freelance guys who can help me install a Sonata grill?

Bought a new front grill and a local SG workshop quoted me $100 w/o GST. I was ok with it until a Malaysian workshop quoted me $100 ringgit when I last checked a couple of weeks back.

Now paying SGD$100 isn’t a smart thing to do when it’s only labor fees lol. JB is also shut down for some time so I’m itching to get it installed.

C6F285F2-F9F7-4B68-B79C-1EFB449FAA93.jpeg

(edited)
3 hours ago, Josephling said:

Anyone know any cheap workshop or freelance guys who can help me install a Sonata grill?

Bought a new front grill and a local SG workshop quoted me $100 w/o GST. I was ok with it until a Malaysian workshop quoted me $100 ringgit when I last checked a couple of weeks back.

Now paying SGD$100 isn’t a smart thing to do when it’s only labor fees lol. JB is also shut down for some time so I’m itching to get it installed.

C6F285F2-F9F7-4B68-B79C-1EFB449FAA93.jpeg

Bro... not critical right? Keep first lar... wait until Malaysia and Singapore come out of this COVID-19 situation first lor... what happened to your car's grille?

By the way, where did you order from and how much did it cost? Thanks!

Edited by teomingern

23 hours ago, teomingern said:

Bro... not critical right? Keep first lar... wait until Malaysia and Singapore come out of this COVID-19 situation first lor... what happened to your car's grille?

By the way, where did you order from and how much did it cost? Thanks!

Yeah was just feeling eager to install it but looking at the press conference yesterday, I’ll keep it for maybe a month or two more. No point doing anything crazy just to install a grille.

Nothing happened to the grille but was looking at this photo and I really liked the look of it. Got it from AliExpress and delivered to my home for around $200. Car is fantastic and hasn’t failed me thus far, so I decided to give her a little upgrade.

C1AEBB3F-823A-4B64-8180-073DC96987B5.png

Oh I see... this is the chicken wire type... brings the car more in line with the current design... but I like the chrome grille our car came with...

Changed my tires just before the circuit breaker and didn't even scrub in the tires, the car is in cold storage for 6 weeks already... I pumped a full tank of petrol just before 7 Apr... that tank of petrol still there... no chance to enjoy the new tires... except for very short grocery runs... less than 2 km... sian...

4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Changed my tires just before the circuit breaker and didn't even scrub in the tires, the car is in cold storage for 6 weeks already... I pumped a full tank of petrol just before 7 Apr... that tank of petrol still there... no chance to enjoy the new tires... except for very short grocery runs... less than 2 km... sian...

why don't take a ride around Singapore.

not coming out from car just purely enjoy the ride yourself without passenger.

8 hours ago, teomingern said:

You can take the car for a spin once a while or drive a longer route to buy groceries or meal. Keep the car running, you are alone in the car anyway so no issue of social distancing. 

On 5/12/2020 at 7:25 PM, Contipro said:

why don't take a ride around Singapore.

not coming out from car just purely enjoy the ride yourself without passenger.

Yeah... thought of that too... ha ha... 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:34 PM, Alfc said:

You can take the car for a spin once a while or drive a longer route to buy groceries or meal. Keep the car running, you are alone in the car anyway so no issue of social distancing. 

Yeah I do take a short drive for grocery shopping... but too short and slow... plenty of traffic lights not shiok... sigh...

49 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Yeah... thought of that too... ha ha... 

getting too bored and I started do it 3 weeks ago. I do it every weekend or Sunday morning.

less traffic. lane 1 cruise at 95km/h

BKE-SLE-TPE (u turn at changi airport)-PIE-BKE

best is SLE TPE, route long with Lane 1 less traffic follow at rear and no blocking traffic at front.

purely enjoy the ride and play you favorite song list. 

1 hour ago, Contipro said:

getting too bored and I started do it 3 weeks ago. I do it every weekend or Sunday morning.

less traffic. lane 1 cruise at 95km/h

BKE-SLE-TPE (u turn at changi airport)-PIE-BKE

best is SLE TPE, route long with Lane 1 less traffic follow at rear and no blocking traffic at front.

purely enjoy the ride and play you favorite song list. 

Wah ha ha ha... sounds really good...

4 hours ago, teomingern said:

Thanks bros! Really appreciate the camaraderie online! 

Maybe one of these days we can catch up over kopi once this covid situation is under control. Getting online overdose haha... 

Like what contipro said, I also took a roundtrip to the expressway to chill especially weekend for grocery shopping. Can let the car run longer uninterrupted distances too. 

↡ Advertisement