Hyundai Sonata (2015)

Thaiyotakamli

Strange that no one is discussing this car vs the K5....

Is it because it's really no good?

Any mcfers bought this?

↡ Advertisement

I've seen a few on the road. Looks good and refreshing.

Any mcfers bought this?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Saw someone today in one. Says he likes it quite a lot.

He gives it a :a-m1212: for most of the metrics like comfort, refinement, perceived qualities and NVH.

• Praise 1

Any mcfers bought this?

Features wise, very good.

Disappointment is powerplant, 2L only. No other variant like 2.0T. Otherwise I will consider.

Disappointment is powerplant, 2L only. No other variant like 2.0T. Otherwise I will consider.

Looks like your next car will be a mondeo or volvo?

None of the japs/koreans here are TC yet for the executive sedan.

If the last rice donation pictures are any indication, I think Adrianli might find it a squeeze in many jap/korean cars given his height and size.

The s60 boot is a little small relative to comparable cars so it may be a deal breaker.

• Praise 1

If the last rice donation pictures are any indication, I think Adrianli might find it a squeeze in many jap/korean cars given his height and size.

The s60 boot is a little small relative to comparable cars so it may be a deal breaker.

s60 buay sai. headroom is quite poor especially in the rear. the V70 has better headroom than S60 esp in the rear seats.

Think he need to chop off his head if he wants to go into the S60 rear hehe.

S80 then can. [laugh]

yeah need a big ford s150 for him

Ya, looking at the new Mondeo. But the 3 month wait for spare parts is a worry for me. I like the new Mondeo(Ford Fusion) since seeing it on The Amazing Race last year.

I like my servicing at Komoco so far, so leaning towards another hyundai. Hoping for better engine spec i40 or Sonata.

Turbocharged
I like my servicing at Komoco so far, so leaning towards another hyundai. Hoping for better engine spec i40 or Sonata.

I did notice that the Sonata (and Optima K5 2.0L) are both using MPi-type engines, while the i40 has the slightly more powerful (and efficient) GDi engine. Also, the i40 uses the Nu series engine, compared to Sonata and Optima using the Theta-II.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like the Theta-II is still less efficient overall, though that might be due to Komoco/C&C only bringing in the MPi version instead of GDi.

I read somewhere else that Hyundai just launched the new Sonata hybrid and Phev, as well as a 1.7Turbo diesel in the US.

Hope they bring these in....

• Praise 1

(edited)

Ya, looking at the new Mondeo. But the 3 month wait for spare parts is a worry for me. I like the new Mondeo(Ford Fusion) since seeing it on The Amazing Race last year.

hyundai is not selling well at the moment. I doubt they will bring in higher spec cars. To the sg consumer market, they compete mostly on price.

Now with the Comfort deals, to me, they seem disinterested in the retail market.

Edited by Lala81

anyway with the japs, they are all going hybrid liao.

Camry and Accord.

Remains to be seen if sonata will follow the same route.

Last month when I commented to the SE "2L underpower" [thumbsdown] , immediately he said "let's go for a test". [drivingcar]

Guess what, he walked straight to the driver seat and said "do you mind", I replied "no problem, go ahead".

Slowly we came off the showroom, turned left and made a U-turn at the traffic light. Suddenly, he floored all the way and in my mind I was like "wtf this guy is doing" [confused] . I looked at the odo, it already hit 100km/h.

Instead of U-turning back to the showroom (the usual test drive route), he drove to Jervois Rd. When approaching 2 big humps, he did not slow down but speed over them at 80km/h. I was very impress on the suspension - not bouncy at all. [bounce2] Then without pre-warning me, he did a e-brake. My ball almost drop as I thought what was happening. :a-whiteflag: But have to admit the grip is very firm and stable. I asked him "did you do this to all your customers?", he said "selectively and this is what we called test drive". That's the journey of "my" Sonata test drove experience. :a-m1212:

Test drove it last Sat. It is really underpower. Can hear the strain on the engine.

Also the suspension, I tot they improve liao but it was still nowhere near my previous accord. Body roll still noticiable like my current i45.

The dashboard also seems higher compared to the i45. Centre console no split tray, just a deep box.

And why no electronic parking brakes like the i40? Still foot brake only.

Positive thing is that the noise insulation is much much better, lesser road noise.

The electric steering was good. When on road, steering was firm. When parking, steering was easy, one finger turning.

Will consider only if its the 2.0T power plant.

• Praise 1

Last month when I commented to the SE "2L underpower" [thumbsdown] , immediately he said "let's go for a test". [drivingcar]

Guess what, he walked straight to the driver seat and said "do you mind", I replied "no problem, go ahead".

Slowly we came off the showroom, turned left and made a U-turn at the traffic light. Suddenly, he floored all the way and in my mind I was like "wtf this guy is doing" [confused] . I looked at the odo, it already hit 100km/h.

Instead of U-turning back to the showroom (the usual test drive route), he drove to Jervois Rd. When approaching 2 big humps, he did not slow down but speed over them at 80km/h. I was very impress on the suspension - not bouncy at all. [bounce2] Then without pre-warning me, he did a e-brake. My ball almost drop as I thought what was happening. :a-whiteflag: But have to admit the grip is very firm and stable. I asked him "did you do this to all your customers?", he said "selectively and this is what we called test drive". That's the journey of "my" Sonata test drove experience. :a-m1212:

irresponsible sale person if you ask me. Putting life in jeopardy is a no-no.

Hypersonic

hyundai is not selling well at the moment. I doubt they will bring in higher spec cars. To the sg consumer market, they compete mostly on price.

Now with the Comfort deals, to me, they seem disinterested in the retail market.

They need to bring in better engine in order to sell well. The 1.6T will be better.

• Praise 1

Instead of U-turning back to the showroom (the usual test drive route), he drove to Jervois Rd. When approaching 2 big humps, he did not slow down but speed over them at 80km/h. I was very impress on the suspension - not bouncy at all. [bounce2] Then without pre-warning me, he did a e-brake. My ball almost drop as I thought what was happening. :a-whiteflag: But have to admit the grip is very firm and stable. I asked him "did you do this to all your customers?", he said "selectively and this is what we called test drive". That's the journey of "my" Sonata test drove experience.

Ask the SE to cruise at 60km/h, then step on the throttle hard. Immediately can see that it is underpower. Can hear the engine screaming, but the speed climb reaction is [sleeping] The problem is the gearbox is slow to react and the mid range torque is not there. Thatz what I do during the test drive.

No crazy 0-100km/h test, that does not show if the car is underpowered.

• Praise 3