Dashboard backlight off when headlights on

Lunloon

Neutral Newbie

I had a steering sound problem. So I was at my usual workshop on Saturday (OPC), getting them to check if the steering wheel bushing or the shaft was required changing. About 30 mins after I left the car there, they called and said that the steering wheel bushing was ok, and the shaft had to be changed. I had no time to leave the car for 3 hours, so I told them next time.

It was the day, so I didn't check the lights (didn't make sense to also). The dashboard lights were normal, so I drove and went to have fun.

In the evening, it was dark, so I had to switch on the headlights. That was when I realised the dashboard lights were unlit. When I switched off the headlights, the dashboard lights came back. This affected the gear indicator (R was unaffected), aircon display, clock display.

Turning signals ran fine, my headlights were on fine, tailights were ok. Only the dashboard backlights.

So i went down to my workshop today and see if they could spot anything fast (like check back what they had did on Saturday). Much theorycrafting later (without actually checking back the procedure they had done on Saturday, they had removed the power steering, so could be the connection?), they asked me to leave the car at the workshop to check wiring. So I didn't (had to go to work), and I probably have to waste the coming Saturday for them to check.

Being not a believer of coincidence, it's quite hard for me to survive in a place full of coincidences such as car workshops. So I thought to ask if anyone had the same experience before, so as to be better equipped.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

With no mention of the car model, maybe you can check whether your car has a dimmer switch which control the dashboard lights.

Usually it is located at the left side of the steering wheel. Try to turn it max. If your car do not have this feature, I would advise you to tell the workshop to check fuses and wiring connection.

There should be a fusebox for your interior somewhere below or behind your glove box. Check your user manual and see which fuse belongs to the dash instrument backlight. Remove it and re-attach back. If nothing happens, have the fuse replaced.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

With no mention of the car model, maybe you can check whether your car has a dimmer switch which control the dashboard lights.

Usually it is located at the left side of the steering wheel. Try to turn it max. If your car do not have this feature, I would advise you to tell the workshop to check fuses and wiring connection.

Sry, it's 06 Avante 1.6A.

I will try the dimmer. Checked fuses and they are fine (by workshop). Left wiring to check.

There should be a fusebox for your interior somewhere below or behind your glove box. Check your user manual and see which fuse belongs to the dash instrument backlight. Remove it and re-attach back. If nothing happens, have the fuse replaced.

Checked fuses and they are fine (by workshop). Left wiring to check.

Neutral Newbie

They might have disturbed or dislodged a ground wire.

That's what I read online, only hope they can be honest about it when I go find them again soon.

Supersonic

That's what I read online, only hope they can be honest about it when I go find them again soon.

I accidentally loosen a ground bolt on my getz last time.

The ground would be intermittent.

One day, the signal light just go weird, it didn't blink as normal.

I thought one of the bulb blew, so I swap the bulb around.

Then I found the wiper will not move also.

I remember having fiddle around with the ground bolt some time ago and went back to fix it.

Everything was back to normal after that.

When you have a bad ground, weird things happened, bcuz the signal would try to find a ground through other devices.

Neutral Newbie

As everyone expected, it was a problem with the ground (a light socket got dislodge when they did the previous work).

Solved in 5minutes. Thanks for all the help.

↡ Advertisement