Cigarette charging slot not working

Donut

Supercharged

i realised that my ciggy slot is not working.

I used it to charge my car cam recorder through usb charger. recently it's not charging at all. I tried couple of brand new usb chargers, also not working. I also tried my unused Garmin GPS ciggy charger, also not working.

Any one can advise on what might be the problem? fuse blow? wire loose inside?

Will a dying car battery caused this too? My car batt is about 2.5 years old.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

yep. i was going to suggest that as well.

if the fuse looks ok, it could be loose wiring.

happened to my ride when i first got it.

got my mechanic to fixed it for me during my servicing. he threw it in free for me. so happy~! :)

Mine is different problem. 12V plug working but the lighter socket does not heat up. Anyway i use it as charger so don't really bother me

I used it to charge my car cam recorder through usb charger. recently it's not charging at all. I tried couple of brand new usb chargers, also not working. I also tried my unused Garmin GPS ciggy charger, also not working.

change car

• Praise 4

yeah... paper car soon....... CHOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this month oni, i give u RR down there...ai mai? I throw in Aston for the maid for down there too... [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

It has to be blown fuse. I have had similar experience before, paid $5 to replace one. But, recently having another problem, if I tried to charge phone, it actually drains the battery rather charging, but the lights are still working on the charger. Read in another post that this too can be due the fuse issue, but have not time to check that yet

most likely is fuse.

There are spares fuses in your car fuse box, in the engine bay area, right next to the battery. open up the box cover, the fuses and the fuse removal tool should be behind the box cover.

My bro's Lancer EX also had the same problem. It cannot be fixed. I dunno why. Fed up, he went to an audio shop, got an aftermarket twin power socket and install it on an empty space or slot. The damage was like $10 or smth. Somemore they made it look like original, like part of the center console, nicely done. LoL...

Last time my family's Altis kana this problem twice. Luckily both times are due to a blown fuse, each replace at Borneo Motors is less than $10. After the 2nd time, replace the cig port hub and the problem never comes back.

I believe the main thing is not to plug in and out cig port usb charger as sometimes due to lousy build quality could cause the fuse to blow.

Supersonic

DC or ciggie socket is exposed and it's very easy to short circuit the centre pin to the side casing, which is shorting 12V to ground.

It just take a badly build plug, a slip, a screw/bolt dropped inside to short and blow the fuse, but that's what the fuse is there for.

When you're replacing that fuse, replaced with the same rating. It's never more than 15A.

The fuse is to protect the wiring from overheating and catching fire.

And if you're plugging those 3-in-1 extension socket in, look at the wiring. If it's very thin, you have to be careful, unless there's another smaller fuse to protect it.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

Last time my family's Altis kana this problem twice. Luckily both times are due to a blown fuse, each replace at Borneo Motors is less than $10. After the 2nd time, replace the cig port hub and the problem never comes back.

I believe the main thing is not to plug in and out cig port usb charger as sometimes due to lousy build quality could cause the fuse to blow.

I could have sworn fuses were like a dollar or 2 at the most.

Let me guess - you own a German brand car built between 2006-2010?

BMWs and VW/Audi had that common problem.

At first workshop diagnosed to be the plunger knob open circuit.

Changed knob and replaced fuse ... worked for a while, then kaput again.

They had to replace the whole module as fault was the OEM design from German supplier ... apparently supplying same to BMW and VAG cars.

Either that or you keep on replacing the fuse.

Or switch to a Merc - which does not use the same OEM.

↡ Advertisement