Chia Seeds

Matoonia

Twincharged
(edited)

To me these types of seeds, esp something as small as chia, are u really chewing it and breaking up the seed? If u can't even break it up, how much digestion is going to happen? Would u digest a seed from a water melon, just cos u soak it?

Personally i think chia is quite a waste of time.

If u need the omegas 3, eat walnuts and ground flaxeed. If u want the fibre, just eat other fibre rich foods like oats.

Flaxseed ground just buy from the organic shelf of any NTUC. Dunno what that brand is called, origins?

It's cheap.

https://www.diffmarts.com/origins-healthfood-brown-flaxseed-meal-fairprice/s/i/283354

New to the ground flaxseed ... ground= powder form .. is it?

How to consume it? I means .. add to anything or what? ( normally, I took Chia seed by just soaking it in the water )...

Thank for the sharing

Edited by Credor
  • Praise 4

New to the ground flaxseed ... ground= powder form .. is it?

How to consume it? I means .. add to anything or what? ( normally, I took Chia seed by just soaking it in the water )...

Thank for the sharing

• Praise 1

(edited)

Scientists beginning to question benefits of Omega 3.

Don't get confused.

It's that omega-3 extract itself has not been proven to significantly improve heart disease.

Eat the natural food itself. Nuts (not peanuts and cashews) and wild caught fish.

The evidence for that is strong or as as strong as dietary studies can get.

Ground flaxseed itself is no different from eating the seed itself, so as a supplement to diet, i think it's quite ok. Chia seeds like i've mentioned before is probably a waste of time unless u feel constipated lol  [laugh]

Anyway i sometimes buy the omega-3 fortified soy milk. It just cost 20 cents more per 2 packs. So doesn't really bother me. They probably add some flaxseed inside in small amounts.

It's not like omega-3 fortified eggs (which they add ground flaxseed to the food they feed the chicken) which can cost like maybe 40-60 cents more per ten eggs 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

So are Omega 3 capsules from cod liver oil worth it?

Debatable. No convincing evidence to show great benefit.

I gave my kids fish oil while they were young cos not many kids like to eat oily fish (batang/sardines etc) and cos kids need DHEA for brain growth. 

For adults ... i would rather spend the money and buy more fish to eat  [laugh]

Supercharged

Debatable. No convincing evidence to show great benefit.

I gave my kids fish oil while they were young cos not many kids like to eat oily fish (batang/sardines etc) and cos kids need DHEA for brain growth. 

For adults ... i would rather spend the money and buy more fish to eat  [laugh]

Thanks.

We started taking Omega 3 capsules long long ago before the debate really got going and now find it impossible to stop unless definite evidence to the contrary is brought out.

Bit like lotteries

Once you start buying the same numbers every week it is impossible to stop just in case 'your' numbers are drawn the week after you stop buying.

Thanks.

We started taking Omega 3 capsules long long ago before the debate really got going and now find it impossible to stop unless definite evidence to the contrary is brought out.

Bit like lotteries

Once you start buying the same numbers every week it is impossible to stop just in case 'your' numbers are drawn the week after you stop buying.

Ok sure. some people may benefit from taking. But maybe it's becoming more clear that not everyone will benefit.

Eating plant sources of omega-3 is mostly rich in ALA.

Fish source (wild caught, oily fish) is mostly DHEA and EPA.

ALA is cheaper and plentiful, seafood source is obviously more expensive. 

Whether u convert ALA -> DHEA/EPA well is dependent on your genetics.

https://habit.com/blog/2018/07/11/genetics-omega-3s/

Whether even taking in DHEA/EPA is helpful for you, hard to say.

But whichever way, the foods rich in omega-3 are generally just healthier foods.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1