Time for corporal punishment in schools?

Jman888

Time for corporal punishment in schools?
PUBLISHED ON MAY 6, 2014
MS CATHERINE Ng's letter ("Timely reminder for 'monster parents' "; last Saturday) reminds me of similar stories I frequently hear from friends whose spouses or children are school teachers.
It underscores the great stress teachers face from the exacting demands of not only their schools and the Education Ministry, but also unreasonable and disrespectful parents.
Some teachers are chided and blamed when they notify parents of their children's habitual tardiness, refusal to submit homework, misbehaviour and so on.
Some years ago, a friend's wife, who taught in a well-known boys' school, reprimanded a student for breaking some flower pots. The student's father, an influential and affluent individual, demanded that the teacher be dismissed.
The principal was torn between supporting the teacher, who did nothing wrong, and the parent, who had made substantial monetary contributions to the school. Eventually, to resolve the matter, the teacher resigned.
On the one hand, parents expect schools to teach students good moral values, on top of developing their academic and mental abilities. On the other hand, they are quick to blame the schools when their children deviate from acceptable norms. In doing so, they are condoning negative behaviour.
So, unless we take concrete steps to address this problem, we risk raising generations of people who are ill-disciplined, morally deficient and disobedient, with no qualms about using influence and affluence unfairly.
We need a concerted effort by the ministry, schools and parents, working as partners, to address this problem.
First, principals must support the teachers as long as the latter's actions are fair and reasonable. They must not succumb to pressure from parents, no matter how influential they are.
Similarly, the ministry must impress upon principals and teachers their role as imparters of knowledge and moral values, and not succumb to threats from parents.
Second, while schools are expected to impart good values to students, parents must not scuttle or negate these efforts by setting bad examples for their children.
Perhaps it is time to re-introduce corporal punishment in schools, which is effective if meted out judiciously.
Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan

This letter made it to ST forum (not TRS), wonder how MOE would respond [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

This letter made it to ST forum (not TRS), wonder how MOE would respond [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Very often, the problem is not with the child alone. It's the PARENTS. Especially those rich and think they own the world type. If my children are wrong, I reprimand them. Logic must precede love.

Loving your children blindly is just destroying them when they also think they own the whole world.

• Praise 7

Supercharged

I am surprised this letter made it to Goldie ST.

I am all for corporal punishment.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

This is the result of a society that over-emphasises the importance of money You get f***ing arrogant idiots like these who think just because they got money they can get away with anything.

I spit on their grave.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

Rotan the chewren, then rotan the lousy parents too!

But serious I'm all for it, some kids and parents need attitude adjustments.

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

Rotan the chewren, then rotan the lousy parents too!

But serious I'm all for it, some kids and parents need attitude adjustments.

Some parents need this attitude adjustment [nod]

john-cena-attitude-adjustment-o.gif

Very simple answer from MOE....

"This is the problem for the school to solve. And the school mgt will know how to re-solve"....

And the ball is back to the school

• Praise 1

Very often, the problem is not with the child alone. It's the PARENTS. Especially those rich and think they own the world type. If my children are wrong, I reprimand them. Logic must precede love.

Loving your children blindly is just destroying them when they also think they own the whole world.

compare to 20-30 years ago, many parents now would against any form of physical punishment, so call human right.

we can poll here for the current young parents, i am sure majority would not let the school touch your kids.

Supersonic
(edited)

I sarpork. I use corporal punishment at home - a controlled caning on the butt is excellent as negative reinforcement, and does no lasting damage. The important thing is never hit a child in anger. Physical punishment is used in a circumspect and considered fashion, and as the last resort when the child is very disobedient and disrespectful.

As long as schools use the same measured response, I fully support it. We've all gone through systems with caning, even public caning for the worst offenders - so why are we going "soft" on our kids now?

And the "influential, affluent" father in the story should be publicly named and shamed for his sheer arrogance. The child would be able to learn a valuable lesson that not everything in life is (or should be) for sale. But wait long long for that to happen in Singapore [rolleyes]

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

Wealthy, Influential +

So, unless we take concrete steps to address this problem, we risk raising generations of people who are ill-disciplined, morally deficient and disobedient, with no qualms about using influence and affluence unfairly.

I immediately turn bias & think of the situation in China.

Though, I verbally reprimand my kids when they're in the wrong regardless, I hope I will not need to use the cane which I have purchased a few years back but have yet to use.

• Praise 2

This is the result of a society that over-emphasises the importance of money You get f***ing arrogant idiots like these who think just because they got money they can get away with anything.

I spit on their grave.

wonder which school, for an influential individual to have impact on school decision, it could be an independent school.

• Praise 1

and these kids, when go army, when tekan by occifer, daddy call mp who call general and tell them 'my vote at stake'.....so treat her well....

haiz

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

compare to 20-30 years ago, many parents now would against any form of physical punishment, so call human right.

we can poll here for the current young parents, i am sure majority would not let the school touch your kids.

Actually I also against physical punishment because I do not want any teacher to abuse it. However, if the teacher tell me my child misbehave in school, I will do the punishment myself. 养不教父之过

Hypersonic

nowadays kids cannot scold or beat one

must talk to them nicely, if not they will get emotionally scarred for the rest of their lives

[rolleyes]

• Praise 1

Actually I also against physical punishment because I do not want any teacher to abuse it. However, if the teacher tell me my child misbehave in school, I will do the punishment myself. 养不教父之过

You got the heart to beat your own flesh & blood meh ..... [sly]

After beating, come daddy bring you to Mac and RWS, Universal Studio .... [lipsrsealed]

Canning is best leave to outsiders, cane leow buay sim thia (heart won't pain) ... [thumbsup]

• Praise 3

Teachers nowadays very chaim..... Punish them die, don't punish them also die...

↡ Advertisement