Volvo V40 Diesel

nazerath

what lesser safety features does it hv? thot wowo always dun compromise on safety one?

It come standard with city safety and air bags. But no Collision Warning system and 2 other system. It also does not have park assist and lane departure warning.

↡ Advertisement

Oh .. it does not come with panoramic roof too.. anyway i look at the panoramic roof of the V40 cross country... quality of the shade is lousy.. its just some cloths being pulled open and closed with buttons... My parent's Previa's moon roof cover looks and feels so much more solid like the normal actual roof..

Anyway i was told V40 d2 OMV around 23k and V40 cross country d2 is around 31k....

SE was saying COE will be increasing as all the dealers receives alot of orders recently...

how much is the cla? have you checked out the 320 520 diesel?

Actually have not check out the CLA yet, maybe this weekend.

Turbocharged

Actually have not check out the CLA yet, maybe this weekend.

i called them few days back. a diesel version was something like 177 if i remember correctly.

soho, thanks for your review and info, isn't the d2's speedo digital? thought it was when i tested it.

Was in JB with a friend today and without realizing he was driving the diesel 320 for the last 2 years. It was quite pleasant surprise because the drive and overtaking is nothing like a diesel engine.

Truth be told after he got the car, he went to the authorized dealer to tune up the engine and boost. However after driving for couple months, there was diesel leak and went back for full overhaul. Thereafter no issues other than normal servicing and cluttering noise is only obvious on the outside. Cabin noise is acceptable considering being a tune up engine.

So BMW diesel is somewhat reliable, there are out there whom will disagree; to each his own. Just sharing experience.

The v40 d2 is on display now? Or u test drove cross country?

I test drove the cross country. Was told by SE it was same engine and body except for the bdy kit, rim and additional features...

SE showed me one white V40 D2 which was in the carpark.. look nice as well except that i find the centre display ,which is smaller ugly

i called them few days back. a diesel version was something like 177 if i remember correctly.

soho, thanks for your review and info, isn't the d2's speedo digital? thought it was when i tested it.

Did u test drive the cross country or the basic model? I dunno.. was told by SE the basic model only come with the normal analog speedo, which is the needle kind.. she even show me a photo of the speedo.. i heard in europe,the digital speedo is a £350 option. If possible,change urs to the digital one.. look alot nicer

I test drove the cross country. Was told by SE it was same engine and body except for the bdy kit, rim and additional features...

SE showed me one white V40 D2 which was in the carpark.. look nice as well except that i find the centre display ,which is smaller ugly

Did u test drive the cross country or the basic model? I dunno.. was told by SE the basic model only come with the normal analog speedo, which is the needle kind.. she even show me a photo of the speedo.. i heard in europe,the digital speedo is a £350 option. If possible,change urs to the digital one.. look alot nicer

I saw the white d2.. the16 inch can change to aftermarket ones... the active tft display is indeed nice but i think for ready stock.. cannot customize.. hopefully polestar can tune it soon

Turbocharged
(edited)

seems like for rims theres plenty of potential, it can fit wider and bigger tires from the original 16"

the d2 doesnt come with a spare tire if i remember correctly. just a scissors jack, electric pump, sealant and a triangle.

anyone know how much to pay for a spare wheel in the market? used is fine.

Edited by nazerath

Well... if u find the Volvo D2 screen ugly, then you will find the one in CLA worse. U need to pay a hefty sum to upgrade to "Multimedia Package" http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/9-cla-pictures-videos/529-pictures-lcd-screen-size-without-multimedia-package.html. I think we have to be realistic with the features that we get with what we are willing to pay. And oh, the CLA won't come with City Safety which, trust me, you will at some point in time find it invaluable. City Safety has saved me from a few near misses where cars either cut in or I was daydreaming from tiredness.

Servicing cost is comparable to the premium makes and slightly higher than the mid-level german makes. My friend's Audi A1 went in for his 2nd servicing and it cost him $800. He complained of coz, because his previous Jap hatchback costs at most $300 to service. If you are used to driving a Japanese make, this kind of pricing will be a shocker to you. If you can't afford the servicing costs of a premium branded car, then don't starve yourself to try attain a premium brand just to fit into society. Be realistic. Volvo V40 D2 at $119K, it will have to have some catch. Event cars with low mileage done and lower spec, but does it compromise in the basic safety? No. I am not too sure about some other brands http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27392157 Even in its very basic form, it does not compromise on safety. Electric seats, glass roof, bigger screen, no digital speedometer... are those necessary? These are luxury features if you have luxury money to spend. The Toyota Vios is at $110K, brand new of course. The Toyota Auris is $132K. No electric seats, no glass roof, no big multimedia screen, analogue speedometer... And some of you compare the CLA... try entering the rear cabin of that car. It is a Coupe that so happens to have token rear doors. Anyone who is claustrophobic will die in its rear quarters. The price is amazing as well - $160K for CLA180. Incidentally, if you are looking at the CLA180, you can get the S60 D2 for the same money. Your passengers, your loved ones, your wallet, and your brain will thank you for that. I agree, if you listen to your heart, the CLA is the one for some people. To me, it looks awesome and expensive and I love it. But this is Singapore and cars are expensive, the roads are terrible (the CLA rides awful), and because we are such intelligent species, I decided using my functioning brain, that the CLA does not suit my needs.

• Praise 5

Oh .. it does not come with panoramic roof too.. anyway i look at the panoramic roof of the V40 cross country... quality of the shade is lousy.. its just some cloths being pulled open and closed with buttons... My parent's Previa's moon roof cover looks and feels so much more solid like the normal actual roof..

Anyway i was told V40 d2 OMV around 23k and V40 cross country d2 is around 31k....

SE was saying COE will be increasing as all the dealers receives alot of orders recently...

If you happen to tick the panoramic moonroof option in the CLA/A/B/C-Class, you will realize the shade is perforated. Even in its closed position, light continues to enter, heat continues to build up more quickly. I am fine with that, but some people are not.

seems like for rims theres plenty of potential, it can fit wider and bigger tires from the original 16"

the d2 doesnt come with a spare tire if i remember correctly. just a scissors jack, electric pump, sealant and a triangle.

anyone know how much to pay for a spare wheel in the market? used is fine.

V40/V60/S60 all doesn't come with spare tyre. I happen to burst my tyre and decided to use the tyre sealant. BIG MISTAKE. The electronic pump had to be thrown away because i didn't know it had to be flushed within hours of using! And a replacement set costs $500+. I suggest to ask SE to throw in a spare saver kit, which costs about $500 with a tyre cover or $1000 with a build-in boot floor. If you are in Singapore, just call Wearnes Assist and AA truck will come to your rescue and patch your tyre or change a new one for you. Do not ever ever touch the tyre repair kit unless you really have no choice.

Turbocharged

ya, think so too. that is why thought maybe it is better to get a spare tire instead.

(edited)

Well... if u find the Volvo D2 screen ugly, then you will find the one in CLA worse. U need to pay a hefty sum to upgrade to "Multimedia Package" http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/9-cla-pictures-videos/529-pictures-lcd-screen-size-without-multimedia-package.html. I think we have to be realistic with the features that we get with what we are willing to pay. And oh, the CLA won't come with City Safety which, trust me, you will at some point in time find it invaluable. City Safety has saved me from a few near misses where cars either cut in or I was daydreaming from tiredness.

Servicing cost is comparable to the premium makes and slightly higher than the mid-level german makes. My friend's Audi A1 went in for his 2nd servicing and it cost him $800. He complained of coz, because his previous Jap hatchback costs at most $300 to service. If you are used to driving a Japanese make, this kind of pricing will be a shocker to you. If you can't afford the servicing costs of a premium branded car, then don't starve yourself to try attain a premium brand just to fit into society. Be realistic. Volvo V40 D2 at $119K, it will have to have some catch. Event cars with low mileage done and lower spec, but does it compromise in the basic safety? No. I am not too sure about some other brands http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27392157 Even in its very basic form, it does not compromise on safety. Electric seats, glass roof, bigger screen, no digital speedometer... are those necessary? These are luxury features if you have luxury money to spend. The Toyota Vios is at $110K, brand new of course. The Toyota Auris is $132K. No electric seats, no glass roof, no big multimedia screen, analogue speedometer... And some of you compare the CLA... try entering the rear cabin of that car. It is a Coupe that so happens to have token rear doors. Anyone who is claustrophobic will die in its rear quarters. The price is amazing as well - $160K for CLA180. Incidentally, if you are looking at the CLA180, you can get the S60 D2 for the same money. Your passengers, your loved ones, your wallet, and your brain will thank you for that. I agree, if you listen to your heart, the CLA is the one for some people. To me, it looks awesome and expensive and I love it. But this is Singapore and cars are expensive, the roads are terrible (the CLA rides awful), and because we are such intelligent species, I decided using my functioning brain, that the CLA does not suit my needs.

I think you got me wrong.... there is no high spec or low spec V40 D2... there is only 1 Basic model and its $135k... I know it looks good but what i am trying to say is alot of the feature which come standard in other volvo models are not in this V40 D2...Of course i know you pay what you get... But i am just saying what I feel from the test drive... and I would rather pay abit more to get some of the features which i think is nice and should be included.

The glass roof and the shade is seriously a big disappointment.

To me, if its a event car, they should advertise it as event car.. they should not advertise big big say $119,999 only... to you , you might be ok with event cars.. but i am sure to alot bros here, We want our car to be new.. unused... not some event car or show room cars...

One thing is the SE tell me 4+k insurance.. and SE told me " Oh, Volvo car more expensive, higher value , so insurance will be higher"... Please I have more than 1 vehicle in my household and we just bought a 200+k toyota previa... but the insurance for the previa is not so high.. 4k+ insurance i might well get some sports car which drive even better.

Edited by Soho

Soho, u are around the same age as me (28yo). I am driving the S60 T6. This is a 3-litre turbo car. I have 50% NCD and my insurance is $2.3K. It is reasonable. Before that i was driving a S60 T4 (1.6 turbo), ($2.1K for insurance, 50% NCD, 26yo). And before that I was driving a Peugeot 308CC (insurance $3.2K, 25yo, 50% NCD). And even before that I was driving a Peugeot 308 turbo hatchback (insurance $3.4K, 24yo, 50% NCD). In other words, if you do not have NCD, whatever car you are looking at is going to cost you a lot for insurance. If you look at the trend for my history of premiums paid, it is fair amount for the type of vehicle and my age. I don't know, maybe Previa has lower premiums because spare parts are readily available and Previas hardly get into accidents. There are many factors which contribute to the cost of premiums and you may want to find out more on your ow. Also, premiums differs from companies with the difference as much as 30% as i have found out. So it will be good to your own check instead of relying on the quote from the SE.

If you feel that u can get $4k insurance for a sports car with 0% NCD, good luck finding [:)]

And BTW, event cars are good value for money cars because the savings from buying these cars cushions the depreciations a little and sometimes comes with goodies like free servicing for added assurance. Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes-Benz are sponsors of many international events in Singapore and the event cars which accumulates little or no mileage, are sold at sizeable discounts and as a result, sells out pretty quickly. So "I am sure to a lot of bros here" wouldn't mind buying an event car.

If you feel that you NEED those luxury features available in higher end Volvo models, you can always indent. Indent fee is $15K. Of course you wouldn't consider preown V40/V40CC which are better equipped with more power (180bhp from 1.6 turbo engine, 200bhp after polestar) because you like brand new cars. Otherwise, head down to BMW or Mercedes-Benz and deck out your car the way you want it without having to pay for indent fees. Every box you tick adds hundreds to thousands to your OMV which increases the car price exponentially, and 3-6 months additional waiting time for delivery of your car.

Wearnes used to bring in T4 and D4 engine V40s and they were lavishly equipped. But as a result of COE recategorization, the T4/D4 models would be reclassified into Cat B, hence the introduction of D2 engine option with 115bhp, putting it nicely into Cat A.

(edited)

Hi Soho,

There is a higher and lower spec V40 D2. Of course, if you choose to differentiate between V40 Cross Country and V40, then yes, V40 D2 only comes with the lower spec package.

Higher specs include: Forward collision warning (At all speeds), Keyless Entry, Digital Speedometer - just to name a few.

The higher spec V40 D2 (cross country) would cost you closer to $150K. If there wasn't any, it was probably sold out. The higher spec V40 D2 was still available at least on 10th May morning.

Anw for info, when V40 Cross Country T4 and V40 T4 were launched, their equipping were the about same and their prices were pretty close to each other.

The 119K model was meant for the lower spec V40 D2. And it was COE guaranteed for limited units (no catch or fine prints involved). I think you stepped into the showroom a little too late - you probably get event car or non-guaranteed COE. They can't say it's event car because not all were event cars - the early birds got them brand new.

At Volvo, if you wish to have additional features which has to be factory fitted (e.g. your glass roof, adaptive HID lights, adaptive cruise control, etc) - you not only have to pay the cost of the item at factory, you have to pay the ARF (since this item would have been factored into your OMV), and the additional indent fee to manage your unique variant. Oh and not to mention, LTA approval if it requires. (So pay a bit more is really unlikely).

Lastly, for info that u can have a brand new replacement car in the event of a total write off of your Volvo car within 2 years from the date of registration (and this is applicable if you take up the insurance package at Volvo). Other car brands are mostly (if not all) 1 year. You can do a check and verify this point.

I think you got me wrong.... there is no high spec or low spec V40 D2... there is only 1 Basic model and its $135k... I know it looks good but what i am trying to say is alot of the feature which come standard in other volvo models are not in this V40 D2...Of course i know you pay what you get... But i am just saying what I feel from the test drive... and I would rather pay abit more to get some of the features which i think is nice and should be included.

To me, if its a event car, they should advertise it as event car.. they should not advertise big big say $119,999 only... to you , you might be ok with event cars.. but i am sure to alot bros here, We want our car to be new.. unused... not some event car or show room cars...

One thing is the SE tell me 4+k insurance.. and SE told me " Oh, Volvo car more expensive, higher value , so insurance will be higher"... Please I have more than 1 vehicle in my household and we just bought a 200+k toyota previa... but the insurance for the previa is not so high.. 4k+ insurance i might well get some sports car which drive even better.

Edited by Jtsjv
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Who is your SE?

Btw, the low spec V40 D2 is not an event car. And i think you have a misconception too. There is a higher spec V40 D2 which is the V40cc. Wearnes is trying to use the D2 to replace the T4. They brought in a super low spec V40 with no electric seats, etc thats why it's priced low. You get what you pay for. For your insurance, as what Eugn86 said, good luck finding sport car @ 4k for your age.

Edited by Nikos_tan
  • Praise 1

I know.. if you have the money , you can customize everything..

What I was told by the SE was there is only 1 version for basic... maybe higher spec sold out liao so SE didnt bother to tell me about it.. I even ask the SE, What if i want the the digital speedo.. SE told me they dun have that in the upcoming V40 D2 model anymore.. If I want it i have to get the cross country...

Anyway , its not my first vehicle... my previous vehicles with 0% NCB also dun have $4k.. its ok.. i was trying to say that this car is not even a "sport car" or "fast" car or "high risk" car , how come 4k insurance so high.. even if I use my parent's name also $3+k...

I know real sports car you cant get insurance for $4k.. But there are tons of "sportier" NA or Turbo vehicles that perform way better and "higher risk" and the insurance is not that high.

Its ok.. I rest my case... I was just attracted by the $120k price tag and when i did some research online, I expected a "better" spec-ed vehicle for the $135k basic model than the advertised $120k ... But well, I guess thats what AD do... when they first bring a model in, they will showcase it full of specs... after it was launched, they would slowly remove some "unnecessary" features slowly...

Who is your SE?

Btw, the low spec V40 D2 is not an event car. And i think you have a misconception too. There is a higher spec V40 D2 which is the V40cc. Wearnes is trying to use the D2 to replace the T4. They brought in a super low spec V40 with no electric seats, etc thats why it's priced low. You get what you pay for. For your insurance, as what Eugn86 said, good luck finding sport car @ 4k for your age.

SE said it will be a mileage car.. I ask SE what does that mean. SE said there is a event in June and the cars will be used for the event. so buyers can only collect the car after the event.. So i said its event car..

(edited)

It come standard with city safety and air bags. But no Collision Warning system and 2 other system. It also does not have park assist and lane departure warning.

City safety works up to 50km/h (30km/h for model year 2012 and earlier), and this is a standard feature that Volvo implements for all their cars.

The other systems are optional. If all their safety systems were to be included into the car (and some features are not even available in high end luxury cars), it wouldn't be within your budget - at least not for those imported from Europe.

Forward collision warning gives you up to 3 seconds warning of an impending front collision and it works at all speeds. Only the higher spec V40 comes with it. You will notice all other Volvo models don't come with it.

Selected earlier S60, S80, V70, XC70 and XC60 models come with this collision warning (and on top of that auto brake) at all speeds for 3.0 litres model and above - but that is history already in Sg.

There are different features of park assist - do you mean auto parking, or parking sensors? For a V40, I would reckon the auto parking is a good to have. All Volvos come with factory fitted reverse sensors with indication integrated into your screen as standard.

Lastly, lane departure warning is only activated at 60km/h and above. Most of the time (if you drive at legal speeds in Singapore) this system would not even be active..

I know.. if you have the money , you can customize everything..

What I was told by the SE was there is only 1 version for basic... maybe higher spec sold out liao so SE didnt bother to tell me about it.. I even ask the SE, What if i want the the digital speedo.. SE told me they dun have that in the upcoming V40 D2 model anymore.. If I want it i have to get the cross country...

Anyway , its not my first vehicle... my previous vehicles with 0% NCB also dun have $4k.. its ok.. i was trying to say that this car is not even a "sport car" or "fast" car or "high risk" car , how come 4k insurance so high.. even if I use my parent's name also $3+k...

I know real sports car you cant get insurance for $4k.. But there are tons of "sportier" NA or Turbo vehicles that perform way better and "higher risk" and the insurance is not that high.

Its ok.. I rest my case... I was just attracted by the $120k price tag and when i did some research online, I expected a "better" spec-ed vehicle for the $135k basic model than the advertised $120k ... But well, I guess thats what AD do... when they first bring a model in, they will showcase it full of specs... after it was launched, they would slowly remove some "unnecessary" features slowly...

SE said it will be a mileage car.. I ask SE what does that mean. SE said there is a event in June and the cars will be used for the event. so buyers can only collect the car after the event.. So i said its event car..

Haha, no problem. If it's price you are attracted to, then i guess it's good to always shop around.

For me (being on my 3rd consecutive Volvo already), I know why i'm getting a Volvo. And i'm selective of the safety features i get for my Volvo.

Anw, just for your info, from a technical perspective, your analog speedo for V40 (and other Volvo models from Model year 2014 onwards, except XC90) can be upgraded to digital speedo at the local authorised dealer. It's been done in Malaysia already.

I think Sg AD has not explored that "competency" yet, but i'm sure if you are really keen they can have it done for you eventually...

(for my s60 there is no way i can chg to the digital speedo.. unfortunately)

Edited by Jtsjv
↡ Advertisement