Volvo V40 Diesel

nazerath

Its been 2 years of owning the S60 D2 and driving it pretty often. Just a few things i thought owners of the D2 engine should note. Every once in awhile, you'll notice the exhaust producing a fair bit of smoke during acceleration. It actually turns out to be the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regenerating itself.

Because the engine is only a 1.6, it doesn't produce enough heat sometimes to burn off the carbon sometimes if you drive very short distances or do heavy city driving. Spending about 20-30 minutes cruising on an expressway above 80kph will be sufficient enough to help regenerate the DPF. Thankfully due to our hot climate, getting the DPF to regenerate is rather easy as compared to extremely cold countries where they have workshops to "force regeneration" (Doing a google search will do all the explanation).

I've been pumping Esso diesel since day one of the vehicle and can easily travel more than 1000km on one tank of fuel. Have whacked the car hard up towards Malacca and back - using slightly more than 1/4 tank of diesel. Most new owners will have to get used to the Powershift transmission by Ford. The transmission is tuned towards economy rather than performance, so it can be rather jerky and indecisive at times.

↡ Advertisement

Its been 2 years of owning the S60 D2 and driving it pretty often. Just a few things i thought owners of the D2 engine should note. Every once in awhile, you'll notice the exhaust producing a fair bit of smoke during acceleration. It actually turns out to be the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regenerating itself.

Because the engine is only a 1.6, it doesn't produce enough heat sometimes to burn off the carbon sometimes if you drive very short distances or do heavy city driving. Spending about 20-30 minutes cruising on an expressway above 80kph will be sufficient enough to help regenerate the DPF. Thankfully due to our hot climate, getting the DPF to regenerate is rather easy as compared to extremely cold countries where they have workshops to "force regeneration" (Doing a google search will do all the explanation).

I've been pumping Esso diesel since day one of the vehicle and can easily travel more than 1000km on one tank of fuel. Have whacked the car hard up towards Malacca and back - using slightly more than 1/4 tank of diesel. Most new owners will have to get used to the Powershift transmission by Ford. The transmission is tuned towards economy rather than performance, so it can be rather jerky and indecisive at times.

Nikos i believe you meant 'only use up slightly more than 1/4 tank' rather than 'left with slightly more than 1/4 tank' right? =)

It is due to the caliper and brake caliper bracket . Normally they would apply grease over them and the noise will go but this is only temporary till the grease runs dry.

Have been experiencing this with all the Volvos my family owned:

V50 2.4i

XC70 3.2 AWD

S80 2.5T

S60 T6 AWD

XC90 T5 AWD

You will tend to notice this during the parking phase - especially if you have changed the direction of your drive (e.g. from D to R) and you are turning your steering wheel.

Gotten used to them already =)

I know this is a little off topic but I just got my new S80 D2. Yup D2. Not as underpowered as I expected and fuel economy's amazing. I've managed 4.1L/100km from Tampines to Jurong on PIE on the first week without 'breaking-in' the engine. With the last week of city driving it has only crept up to 5.6L/100km. That's amazing economy for such a heavy and large car. How's the economy on a much lighter V40?

I know this is a little off topic but I just got my new S80 D2. Yup D2. Not as underpowered as I expected and fuel economy's amazing. I've managed 4.1L/100km from Tampines to Jurong on PIE on the first week without 'breaking-in' the engine. With the last week of city driving it has only crept up to 5.6L/100km. That's amazing economy for such a heavy and large car. How's the economy on a much lighter V40?

That's very good!

For S60 I only manage to get 8L/100km which reads 12-13km/l in my 1st 1000km.

Currently @13000km mileage manage to get 7L/100km about 13-14km/l without activating stop/start since the start.

(edited)

Is yours a S60 D2? Mine hasn't even reached 500km. I'm quite surprised that I can actually get the claimed fuel economy. I think one trick I've figured out is to sort of force the gearbox to change up at 1800rpm or so by letting go of the accelerator for a second or two before continuing to accelerate. Sometimes the cruise control's not very smart with the gearing so you can force it into a higher gear before turning on the cruise control to squeeze that little extra mileage out of your fuel.

Edited by Nfshp253

Mine's a D2 as well.

That reminds me I have been heavy footed lately.

And it's also time to unload junk from the boot 😂

(edited)

Haha is your boot that full? I'm liking the Powershift gearbox more and more as I just found out when using Manual mode I can actually make the car start in 2nd gear to reduce the 1st gear jerk and also I can use that to force it into a higher gear. Managed to achieve an instantaneous 1.7L/100KM while maintaining 60km/h in 5th gear at 1100rpm.

Edited by Nfshp253

I stays in the lentor- each day travel down through CTE or BKE to town. Return route through Lornie/Upp Thomson road.

Clocked 18km/litre for my D2 without start/stop feature. Half throttle each time after green traffic light.

Aircon odor is still a problem for me after the 8 month of usage. The first few second of air out from the aircon really stinky. All solutions mentioned here were used but don't last for more than a week.

Interesting input from Nfshp253. Will try it out to avoid that uneasy jerk experience too sometimes.

I stays in the lentor- each day travel down through CTE or BKE to town. Return route through Lornie/Upp Thomson road.

Clocked 18km/litre for my D2 without start/stop feature. Half throttle each time after green traffic light.

Aircon odor is still a problem for me after the 8 month of usage. The first few second of air out from the aircon really stinky. All solutions mentioned here were used but don't last for more than a week.

Interesting input from Nfshp253. Will try it out to avoid that uneasy jerk experience too sometimes.

Without start/stop? Can someone explain why it seems to me that most people don't like this feature as the availability of this feature was an important factor when I was researching for suitable car models? I'm actually slightly disappointed that my Volvo doesn't start/stop above 30 degrees as I'm quite often stuck for at least 3 minutes upon exiting my condo and it's rarely below 30 in Singapore.

If you guys are wondering how I can almost achieve 25km/l, I think it mostly lies with your driving style, especially how you move off. I don't think I've ever used more than 1/4 throttle when accelerating from a stop and I usually only apply enough throttle so that the gearbox shifts at 2000rpm. It might seem slow but it's smooth and good for economy. Of course I do speed up if I seem to be hogging cars behind me. I also try to avoid braking as much as possible so I switch lanes more often than normal people in an effort to maintain my speed. If I see a red light from afar, I just let the car coast, the Powershift seems to be very good at this.

Aircon odour seems like a serious problem. I hope that doesn't happen to my car but my dad's C30 had this problem but it seems like sending it for a full service fixed it.

With regards to starting in second using the manual override, just note that the car will accelerate much slower and with a D2 engine that means van/lorry levels of acceleration. Applying more throttle will only make the gearbox rev higher like a clutch-slipping gearbox without much increase in speed. I would recommend only using that function for navigating car parks.

25km / l is even better than what the paper states....u can get 2000km per tank easily.. ur route got no traffic light?

Well, I guess it all about personal preferences and driving habits?

Some like slow and steady, others like fast and furious.

Sometimes it will be 10-25% throttle, other times it will be half throttle when you need some andrenaline rush.

Haha D2 not much adrenaline rush anyway. T5/T6 maybe but fuel consumption for those are insane. My dad's C30 T5 averages around 15L/100km in urban driving. Lol.

I guess I'm lucky to live right next to Bartley Road East, only one traffic light between my home and that semi-expressway. I'm trying to see if I can hit the claimed 3.8L/100KM highway figure.

(edited)

May be you can try the the Dettol spray to kill the germs. Spray into the every aircon outlet and leave for 12 hours. Combining the 'off aircon' method it should help.

https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/media.redmart.com/newmedia/1600x/i/m/img_1127.jpg

Edited by Virus

I have been driving my v40 D2 for 8mths. I am using caltex diesel and travel from serangoon to tampines everyday. My full tank can only take a max of 680km at ard 13.8km/l. I use the start/stop and travel at ard 70 to 80 km/h. Is my mileage normal? In this forum a lot of them can travel more than 900km per full tank

Turbocharged

I have been driving my v40 D2 for 8mths. I am using caltex diesel and travel from serangoon to tampines everyday. My full tank can only take a max of 680km at ard 13.8km/l. I use the start/stop and travel at ard 70 to 80 km/h. Is my mileage normal? In this forum a lot of them can travel more than 900km per full tank

Sounds like there is room to improve to me. How are you foot habits, and traffic conditions?

Haha D2 not much adrenaline rush anyway. T5/T6 maybe but fuel consumption for those are insane. My dad's C30 T5 averages around 15L/100km in urban driving. Lol.

I guess I'm lucky to live right next to Bartley Road East, only one traffic light between my home and that semi-expressway. I'm trying to see if I can hit the claimed 3.8L/100KM highway figure.

He might need to go get a check on his T5. Im averaging 11L/100km. That's quite conservative. No hard driving I can possibly hit another additional 20-30km on the tank.

↡ Advertisement