Volvo V40 Diesel

nazerath

It isn't that bad considering his commute to work is like half an hour and he spends 15 minutes of that half hour in traffic. He likes to use quite a lot of throttle too. When you have a T5, it's hard to resist that feeling from the surge of power.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Just did ceramic coating for my V60. Hope it's worth it

I have been driving my v40 D2 for 8mths. I am using caltex diesel and travel from serangoon to tampines everyday. My full tank can only take a max of 680km at ard 13.8km/l. I use the start/stop and travel at ard 70 to 80 km/h. Is my mileage normal? In this forum a lot of them can travel more than 900km per full tank

Sounds bad to me. I have been stuck with neighbourhood roads for most the time … plenty of traffic lights …still can get 800km. Have you tried other stations? I used ESSO's

Edited by Crazy_turtle

Sounds bad to me. I have been stuck with neighbourhood roads for most the time plenty of traffic lights still can get 800km. Have you tried other stations? I used ESSO's

Coating is good! Easier to wash car too, bird poo And water marks not easy to eat into the coating.

Sounds bad to me. I have been stuck with neighbourhood roads for most the time plenty of traffic lights still can get 800km. Have you tried other stations? I used ESSO's

He's using Caltex but he was using Shell back then. No difference. Must be his driving habits. When I drive his car I average around 9.0L/100KM.

Sounds like there is room to improve to me. How are you foot habits, and traffic conditions?

I tend to drive not exceeding 2000rpm. I have to pass thru at least 6 traffic lights and some trafficjam along PIE to Tampines. Does the auto start/stop saves fuel? Another problem i encountered is D2 is slow pickup speed. Anyone having the same problems?

I tend to drive not exceeding 2000rpm. I have to pass thru at least 6 traffic lights and some trafficjam along PIE to Tampines. Does the auto start/stop saves fuel? Another problem i encountered is D2 is slow pickup speed. Anyone having the same problems?

Which year D2? After 2nd gear is it better?

Hypersonic

Not exceeding 2000rpm of course slow lah.

Please keep to left lane. Thank you.

Neutral Newbie

Hello..

Collected my ride last wk.. been trying to optimise the D2 drive..first 2 gear somehow getting hard to get used rev 2k +/- den maintain let it change higher gear..3rd gear up it feels okay..

First 3/4 tank by WA gave me abt 520km till reserve light up.. trying SPC..

having issue with peak hr traffic when i release accelerator the car engine brake is very rough.. or is city safe feature kicking in.. feels like a Manual Lorry when at Heavy Traffic.

Turbocharged

having issue with peak hr traffic when i release accelerator the car engine brake is very rough.. or is city safe feature kicking in.. feels like a Manual Lorry when at Heavy Traffic.

The Powershift transmission is a dual-clutch gearbox. This means it is like a pair of manual gearboxes but with an electronic control.

As such it behaves similarly to how a manual gearbox might feel albeit with much faster shifts between consecutive ("predicted" and pre-selected) gears, and generally first or second gear can result in very strong engine braking.

City Safety should give a warning when you come into a dangerous distance to the vehicle in front and it uses the actual brakes and not engine braking. If City Safety is activating you should be aware as the vehicle should be warning you.

Yep the gearbox is slightly weird for an auto as it behaves like a manual because it is in fact just one that's automated. As such, like most manual cars, first gear will have a very strong engine braking effect when not releasing the accelerator smoothly. In fact, it's quite hard to get it to not jerk the car at car park speeds. I'm still mastering the skill of letting go of the accelerator as gently as possible to reduce that jerking effect.

A simple but troublesome way to overcome this is to use the manual override and force the car into second and not let it shift to first. It'll try to shift to first when slowing down, but after forcing it into 2nd gear at very low speeds (2-3km/h) or even at standstill, it seems to understand that you want to keep it in second.

Neutral Newbie

Yep the gearbox is slightly weird for an auto as it behaves like a manual because it is in fact just one that's automated. As such, like most manual cars, first gear will have a very strong engine braking effect when not releasing the accelerator smoothly. In fact, it's quite hard to get it to not jerk the car at car park speeds. I'm still mastering the skill of letting go of the accelerator as gently as possible to reduce that jerking effect.

A simple but troublesome way to overcome this is to use the manual override and force the car into second and not let it shift to first. It'll try to shift to first when slowing down, but after forcing it into 2nd gear at very low speeds (2-3km/h) or even at standstill, it seems to understand that you want to keep it in second.

Looks like a Way Out... but i gt a feeling that this will cuz more wear n tear to the GB den normal hard Revving to my own thinking.

As the Gearbox do a automated gear shift when speed is accelerated till.. when forcing it to go n stay at gear 2 without clutch in / out manually afraid the GB may have issue in time to come.

Tho i really have confidence in their GB,i believe Auto Cars even with StepShifts should nt be Abused by drivers.. unless u really know ur car inside out or it will cause Wear off like my previous ride ~_~

Turbocharged
(edited)

Looks like a Way Out... but i gt a feeling that this will cuz more wear n tear to the GB den normal hard Revving to my own thinking.

As the Gearbox do a automated gear shift when speed is accelerated till.. when forcing it to go n stay at gear 2 without clutch in / out manually afraid the GB may have issue in time to come.

Tho i really have confidence in their GB,i believe Auto Cars even with StepShifts should nt be Abused by drivers.. unless u really know ur car inside out or it will cause Wear off like my previous ride ~_~

This isn't a 'normal auto' nor is it really like a normal gearbox either, when you request a gear change it simply switches from clutch 1 to clutch 2, so there wouldn't be any serious wear. And even if you forced it from Gear 3 to 1, it would still disengage the clutch itself, select Gear 1 then re-engage the clutch.

Manual overrides on automatic gearboxes are there for a reason, I don't imagine it causing a lot of serious wear as long as you do not use it to force a car to over-rev. As it is most modern cars will refuse a gear change request if it thinks it will cause an unsafe reduction/increase in revs.

What he's suggesting I think is, if you manually request a gear change to Gear 2 several times while crawling, you will influence the gearbox's long term programming. Most gearboxes these days have 'adaptive' or 'fuzzy logic' features in their programming - they will attempt to 'learn' a driver's habits. Often times this 'imprinting' process can be hastened by driving the car with manual overrides for a while when it is new.

Edited by 7hm

Haha D2 not much adrenaline rush anyway. T5/T6 maybe but fuel consumption for those are insane. My dad's C30 T5 averages around 15L/100km in urban driving. Lol.

I guess I'm lucky to live right next to Bartley Road East, only one traffic light between my home and that semi-expressway. I'm trying to see if I can hit the claimed 3.8L/100KM highway figure.

My S60 T6 averages 8.8km/l (11.36L/100km). Good mix of city and highway driving.

(edited)

City Safety should give a warning when you come into a dangerous distance to the vehicle in front and it uses the actual brakes and not engine braking. If City Safety is activating you should be aware as the vehicle should be warning you.

Correction: City Safety does not give you any warning when you come into a dangerous distance. Only models equipped with Collision Warning (which is a radar situated behind the front grill) will warn you. Only the new XC90 has warning for city safety, and they don't use a radar behind the front grill anymore. Everything is laser guided from sensors and cameras mounted behind the windscreen. City safety kicks in extremely abruptly. It's Volvo's way of scaring you to be alert and not always relying on the system to brake. Constant usage of City Safety is extremely bad for the brakes as it applies full force.

My V70 2.5T is avg about 10.6km/L now. It uses the exact same engine as the C30 T5, except a slightly different tune and different gearbox (5spd vs 6pd). But the V70 is much heavier than the C30. It all boils down to driving style too.

My S60 D2 is avg 17-18km/L now.

My dad pumped a full tank of diesel on Sunday 24/5/15. Here are the driving statistics then.

He drove from Upper East Coast to Jurong, and back to Upper East Coast.

I took the car on Tuesday and drove from Upper East Coast to AMK to pick my fiancee for lunch around that area. I sent her back to work and head further up to YCK to work, and back to Upper East Coast at night.

On Wed, I headed to YCK from Upper East Coast and back again.

On Thur, I headed to Pasir Ris to run errands from Upper East Coast, and then to YCK to work, and later back to Upper East Coast again. Total distance easily more than 200km.

Despite all that distance, the fuel level indicator barely moved. I took the car over on Tuesday (26/5) and it showed this:

11334350_10152888525403587_1938989905_n_

Trip showed 781.4km with still a full tank of diesel.

I took this photo last night (Thurs 28/5):

11280170_10152898314363587_1243848414_n_

I've driven a good 149.7km since Tuesday. Mixed 40% city driving, 60% highway. My route my dad took on Sunday from Upper East Coast to Jurong was a good 65km. Which makes the total 214km. And thats how much fuel we used according to the level indicator.

Overall, it boils to driving style and traffic luck. I believe those figures claimed by Volvo aren't impossible to achieve. (:

Edited by Nikos_tan

Turbocharged
(edited)

Correction: City Safety does not give you any warning when you come into a dangerous distance. Only models equipped with Collision Warning (which is a radar situated behind the front grill) will warn you. Only the new XC90 has warning for city safety, and they don't use a radar behind the front grill anymore. Everything is laser guided from sensors and cameras mounted behind the windscreen. City safety kicks in extremely abruptly. It's Volvo's way of scaring you to be alert and not always relying on the system to brake. Constant usage of City Safety is extremely bad for the brakes as it applies full force.

Really? I was always under the impression City Safety included collision warning with a red LED in the center of the dash and a warning beeper. If it only does last moment brake-jamming that is definitely really jarring...

Does it at least show a "CITY SAFETY ACTIVATED" notice in the dash display?

Edited by 7hm

Really? I was always under the impression City Safety included collision warning with a red LED in the center of the dash and a warning beeper. If it only does last moment brake-jamming that is definitely really jarring...

Does it at least show a "CITY SAFETY ACTIVATED" notice in the dash display?

The red LED in the centre of your dash is the immobolizer notification. There will be a notice on the dash when city safety activates and that is after your wowo comes to a sudden and complete stop. Trust me its jarring. :a-happy:

Press the ok on your signal / wiper stick to clear.

Wowo owners would have signed a declaration form acknowledging that the activtation of city saftey may cause discomfort before wearnes hands you your wowo [laugh]

• Praise 2

The red LED in the centre of your dash is the immobolizer notification. There will be a notice on the dash when city safety activates and that is after your wowo comes to a sudden and complete stop. Trust me its jarring. :a-happy:

Press the ok on your signal / wiper stick to clear.

Wowo owners would have signed a declaration form acknowledging that the activtation of city saftey may cause discomfort before wearnes hands you your wowo [laugh]

Yeap! Mason016 is right. There will be a notification on the dash. But no warning sounds at all. The only sounds you'll hear are loose items flying forward and the E-brake noise. [laugh]

The display on the older speedometers will look like this.

post-55002-0-01553200-1432942372_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Yeap! Mason016 is right. There will be a notification on the dash. But no warning sounds at all. The only sounds you'll hear are loose items flying forward and the E-brake noise. [laugh]

Is it like P85D insane mode? [dizzy]

↡ Advertisement