Anyone familiar with buying Singapore Government Bonds?

(edited)

FD redeem early no penalty meh?

Not sure. Actually never thought about it.

If there is a penalty, then SSB is better.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement

FD redeem early no penalty meh?

i heard that normally they see the period the deposit is held and may just give some savings rate interest; I think it may depend Bank to Bank; I know of one bank whom says I need to complete at least 1 or 3 months (for 1 year FD) and if need to cash it I will be paid savings rate interest

On an another note any idea if this Bonds can be bought using SRS account (Supplementary Retirement Scheme)

Local Banks all "pakat" and don't allow their promo FD's to be used for SRS accounts.... dont know why

• Praise 1

Actually I think bonds are a waste of time. You want regular payments, put together a basket of value stocks, you like excitement, try catching commodity, oil or gold when it bottoms out or you can long or short indexes and put a hedge to it..

FD rates for about 50k is actually ok. DBS i dunno why he keeps mentioning them when they always have the most rubbish FD rates. When they need to do FD, they usually get POSB to do it.

maybank and Hong leong all have FDs ranging from 1.6-1.7% p.a. currently if u have enough to reach 50k.

Actually I think bonds are a waste of time. You want regular payments, put together a basket of value stocks, you like excitement, try catching commodity, oil or gold when it bottoms out or you can long or short indexes and put a hedge to it..

To each his own.

I think don't overestimate your risk appetite until you've seen your portfolio be in the red 60-70% like in 2008 and you know how u will react.

Lol [grin]

To each his own.

I think don't overestimate your risk appetite until you've seen your portfolio be in the red 60-70% like in 2008 and you know how u will react.

Lol [grin]

That's why you must have strict cut loss price points.. The problem with most Asian investors is that they hold on to the sinking ship, unwilling to punish the stock when it under performs. Or trade VIX index also can :serious-business:

• Praise 1

I'm glad I read this thread. After reading the articles on SGS in the state-owned media recently, I was given the impression that it's going to be 2-3%. On referral to the SGS from the posts here, there's step up and you'll be getting less than 1% for the first year. And if you want more indepth details, you can test your maths here: http://www.sgs.gov.sg/savingsbonds/Determine-rates.aspx

so after all that hype and propaganda, nobody is applying for the first issue or even interested in it

MCFers are all elite with private banking accounts and would not even notice when $500M goes in type, is it?

:D

• Praise 1

so after all that hype and propaganda, nobody is applying for the first issue or even interested in it

MCFers are all elite with private banking accounts and would not even notice when $500M goes in type, is it?

:D

It's 1.2 billion. Lol I forgot about it starting in September.

But i think i will just buy A35 instead.

I'm glad I read this thread. After reading the articles on SGS in the state-owned media recently, I was given the impression that it's going to be 2-3%. On referral to the SGS from the posts here, there's step up and you'll be getting less than 1% for the first year. And if you want more indepth details, you can test your maths here: http://www.sgs.gov.sg/savingsbonds/Determine-rates.aspx

The US 10Y treasury yields more than that at slightly over 2%. No point buying the s h i t t y stuff we have here.

The US 10Y treasury yields more than that at slightly over 2%. No point buying the s h i t t y stuff we have here.

Target audience is not for you lah.

It's for the common folks.

• Praise 1

Glad that you confirmed it. I always thought only politics is biased on the pap-controlled media but never thought of the same for investment. Looks like I gotta be wary of "everything".

• Praise 1

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there also a 35% tax on US investment gains?

• Praise 1

Its interest gains are nothing special compared to other bonds.

But its most important features are capital preservation (guarantee by Govt) plus liquidity (anytime can withdraw).

So it suits those who are keeping the funds locked up for a fixed period and needing to withdraw for emergencies. Can act as reserve savings beyond two months of expenditure.

• Praise 2

Unless u are willing to tie your funds up for 3-4 years minimum, preferably longer; it's not really worth it IMO as the interest rates for the first few years is pittance and can easily be matched by bank deposits if one is risk adverse.

But I guess there will still be people who bite cos of the safe nature of these S'pore Govt Bonds.

Trouble I feel is that many a time, u may feel u don't need the funds but unforeseen circumstances mean u may need funds unexpectedly and even though u can redeem it, low interest is paid.

Banks occasionally have demand for funds and pay higher than usual rates. Currently BOC paying

1.65% to 1.7% for 6 mths deposit more worth it I feel.

http://www.bankofchina.com/sg/bocinfo/bi3/bi31/201508/t20150805_5390181.html

• Praise 4

Unless u are willing to tie your funds up for 3-4 years minimum, preferably longer; it's not really worth it IMO as the interest rates for the first few years is pittance and can easily be matched by bank deposits if one is risk adverse.

But I guess there will still be people who bite cos of the safe nature of these S'pore Govt Bonds.

Trouble I feel is that many a time, u may feel u don't need the funds but unforeseen circumstances mean u may need funds unexpectedly and even though u can redeem it, low interest is paid.

Banks occasionally have demand for funds and pay higher than usual rates. Currently BOC paying

1.65% to 1.7% for 6 mths deposit more worth it I feel.

http://www.bankofchina.com/sg/bocinfo/bi3/bi31/201508/t20150805_5390181.html

http://www.uob.com.sg/privilegebanking/assets_hya_promo.html?s_pid=MP206AQ8122A_eg_221x90_homepr01

UOB giving 1.68% for high yield saving account but subject to max $5,000,000 cap. <_<

↡ Advertisement