Mixed development with retail and F&B

Hotamp

just like to know if any one has any idea on those mixed development private apartments that have retails and F&B on the ground levels and residential units on the top. I have notice that along balestier road there are abt 3 such developments popping up....wonder if these has good investment potential? hows the management fee like ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

reckon it's only good for rental, not for family 'cos

1. parking problem

2. most units will be rented out. Your neighbours will be like different tourists checking in and out. Worse, it becomes a chicken coop.

Turbocharged

just like to know if any one has any idea on those mixed development private apartments that have retails and F&B on the ground levels and residential units on the top. I have notice that along balestier road there are abt 3 such developments popping up....wonder if these has good investment potential? hows the management fee like ?

There's one along River Valley near the Boon Tong Kee chicken rice stall

NeWest, Duo Residence, Coral@keppel bay and J residence

reckon it's only good for rental, not for family 'cos

1. parking problem

2. most units will be rented out. Your neighbours will be like different tourists checking in and out. Worse, it becomes a chicken coop.

Depend if ur house like in compass point then will be very convenient for your family

But if it's like Jurong Point, jin tao tia.

NeWest, Duo Residence, Coral@keppel bay and J residence

Depend if ur house like in compass point then will be very convenient for your family

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

It is not a bad concept if the development matches your lifestyle where you are always eat outside and doesn't cook much at home. Most home owners stay at the higher floors and rental tenants lower floors.For mgmt fee, it is about the same with most condo.....also depends on the number of units in that development

As for investment potential, Balestier area is quite a hotspot now as you have Zhongshan Biz Park there as well as all the medical hubs. Rental potential is there with all the commercial buildings, 2 big hotels and medical centers around. The only problem with this place is traffic and crowd.....you have people coming here for food, for KTV, for shopping, for medical, etc......from ATAS people to normal people, to even streetwalkers with many budget hotels around. So I find it hard to classify balestier.......red light district? Not really. Tourist area? Perhaps but not really in a big way. Business district? Maybe but it ain't Changi Biz park or even International Biz park. Shopping area? Some......but definitely not even close to those big malls at neighborhood areas. Balestier at the moment is like having an identity crisis.......it is a bit of everything from a biz park to a touristy place to a medical hub to a high end residential area, all in that one single road.

So I guess the best way to put it is this. Rental potential? Sure......all kind of crowds here from biz people to medical professionals to foreign students. Own stay? Provided you like the buzz of a colourful diverse crowd and enjoys the convenient in a little of everything. There is an old charm and rustic feel to it mixed with modern buildings around. Great for rental, but for own stay, some people prefer a demarcated residential area for quietness and peaceful surroundings.

Having said that I like Balestier as a property investment spot. Reason being is that there are many old buildings around that can be redevelop into something bigger and better. There are also quite a few very old shopping centers that can be re-built into something more attractive. There is also no MRT nearby in the pipeline, but I guess that's just a matter of time. So there are potential for upside, but as it is already quite expensive now, one need to have a certain holding power to see the appreciation.

Which development are you looking at? As far as I know, most of the mix development in Balestier sold out even before public launch.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

But if it's like Jurong Point, jin tao tia.

Agreed !

Even though they have the luxury of going down easily to buy groceries (NTUC 24hrs xtra) as well as clothings, electronics etc, but JP is just full of FT. It's really crowded esp weekends.

Even for Makan, also need to q for quite long to be served.

Notwithstanding the above, even though it is easily accessible by bus interchange as well as MRT, these are also precisely the same reasons why it's noisy n dusty!

Mixed development is only good for rental out, cos these temp stayers will like the close proximity to these F&B outlets, and anyway, they are here temporary, so proximity is an impt criteria.

For buying to stay, do reconsider. Think of the noise and din created by these F&B outlets.

Lastly, buy or invest when you have extra $ :)

Good luck :)

Lastly, buy or invest when you have extra $ :)

Good luck :)

Money never extra, because money never enough ......

If money enough, then best is not to take any more investment risk, just relax, enjoy life.

(edited)

If buying for investment, need to check for rental potential. Go and look around at other similar building nearby whether the shops/offices are taken up, or mostly empty, one look at the building directory will know.

For residential, go at night to see how many with lights on.

In some of the areas, new commercial buildings are coming up, and yet the surrounding existing one are empty, yet, there's transactions of empty shops/offices going higher and higher. Those are people flipping waiting for the next hero to catch the hot potato.

Want to join in the potato game? Make sure you have the skill to through potato before getting burned.

Edited by LoneCatFish

It is not a bad concept if the development matches your lifestyle where you are always eat outside and doesn't cook much at home. Most home owners stay at the higher floors and rental tenants lower floors.For mgmt fee, it is about the same with most condo.....also depends on the number of units in that development

As for investment potential, Balestier area is quite a hotspot now as you have Zhongshan Biz Park there as well as all the medical hubs. Rental potential is there with all the commercial buildings, 2 big hotels and medical centers around. The only problem with this place is traffic and crowd.....you have people coming here for food, for KTV, for shopping, for medical, etc......from ATAS people to normal people, to even streetwalkers with many budget hotels around. So I find it hard to classify balestier.......red light district? Not really. Tourist area? Perhaps but not really in a big way. Business district? Maybe but it ain't Changi Biz park or even International Biz park. Shopping area? Some......but definitely not even close to those big malls at neighborhood areas. Balestier at the moment is like having an identity crisis.......it is a bit of everything from a biz park to a touristy place to a medical hub to a high end residential area, all in that one single road.

So I guess the best way to put it is this. Rental potential? Sure......all kind of crowds here from biz people to medical professionals to foreign students. Own stay? Provided you like the buzz of a colourful diverse crowd and enjoys the convenient in a little of everything. There is an old charm and rustic feel to it mixed with modern buildings around. Great for rental, but for own stay, some people prefer a demarcated residential area for quietness and peaceful surroundings.

Having said that I like Balestier as a property investment spot. Reason being is that there are many old buildings around that can be redevelop into something bigger and better. There are also quite a few very old shopping centers that can be re-built into something more attractive. There is also no MRT nearby in the pipeline, but I guess that's just a matter of time. So there are potential for upside, but as it is already quite expensive now, one need to have a certain holding power to see the appreciation.

Which development are you looking at? As far as I know, most of the mix development in Balestier sold out even before public launch.

hey bro thanks for the indepth analysis, well i was driving along balestier road when i saw the new zhongshan park so just parked round the corner and recce abit ...saw a a few new mixed development condos along that stretch, not sure about being sold out but 2 still have showroom around ley. well balestier is rather convenient...near to city, near to mrt , near to CTE/PIE etc. i guess the new developments are sort of following the shaw plaza concept down the road where the basement has a NTUC and some retail/F&B on the groundfloor and a cinema on the third....the private residential units on top .....purchase costs aside....need to know how they calculate the monthly management fees for the residential units. if they include the building as a whole then i guess the fees would be hefty and a bit not worth cos residental units shareholders dont actually "use" the retail areas.....need to factor in these costs cos dont want to get caught with a hefty " maintenance fee|" after T.O.P. be it rental or self stay.

hey bro thanks for the indepth analysis, well i was driving along balestier road when i saw the new zhongshan park so just parked round the corner and recce abit ...saw a a few new mixed development condos along that stretch, not sure about being sold out but 2 still have showroom around ley. well balestier is rather convenient...near to city, near to mrt , near to CTE/PIE etc. i guess the new developments are sort of following the shaw plaza concept down the road where the basement has a NTUC and some retail/F&B on the groundfloor and a cinema on the third....the private residential units on top .....purchase costs aside....need to know how they calculate the monthly management fees for the residential units. if they include the building as a whole then i guess the fees would be hefty and a bit not worth cos residental units shareholders dont actually "use" the retail areas.....need to factor in these costs cos dont want to get caught with a hefty " maintenance fee|" after T.O.P. be it rental or self stay.

balestier is between Toa payoh n novena mrt.. no other mrt nearby. If I'm tenant, near mrt will be a consideration factor.

Orchard resi looks not bad, only thing is price very ex.

Plot size, low level retails, parking lots vs units and separate carpark for resi n retail will made a diff between a good mix-dev and a small mix dev.

Small mix dev will face more challenge as some mention here, the price will also be very challenging as well for those good mix dev but they sell out very fast, maybe 1 week or 2.

Internal Moderator

Bedok Residences @ Bedok Mall..

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/project/bedok-residences-21109