Protective Film or 9H coatings?

Bluecollar

Hi All,

Appreciate your help and existing experience on either one of the above.

Just signed the dotted line today and should be getting the car by end June (anyway these aren't important).....

Being in the marine industry, I have to go shipyard very often, plus I'm not exactly a hardworking person that detail my car until swee swee....

Please don't start the fire..... [wave] [wave] [wave]

Hope you can share your experience with the pros and cons of the above, although I am more incline toward protective film after reading some of the resources here [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] Any other alternative also welcome.........Thanks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thanks, is bright silver.

What is your opinion? Film or coat?

There was one dealer that does actual spray of clear coats that is scratch proof many years ago, but cannot find him now.

Neutral Newbie

Both films and coatings has their own advantages and disadvantages.

I have friends whose front 1/2 cars are on films. After few months, they are covered with scratches due to improper washing. Good thing is, after peeling off, it looks like new. But when the access glue sticks on the surface, the workers will use some chemicals and rags to clean it off. This process may add scratches to the surface. It depends on quality and workmanship after all. Another factor to consider, cost of replacement.

For coatings, there are many types. There are many which are self labels or rebranded. It would be good to ask for proper test reports by known testing centres from the applicators and warranty if its going to be expensive.

For 9H coating so far for my knowledge, there is only ceramic pro 9h from Ace Gt.

For me, I stick to wax every 2 months. Treat it as a form of exercise.

:)

• Praise 1

Both films and coatings has their own advantages and disadvantages.

I have friends whose front 1/2 cars are on films. After few months, they are covered with scratches due to improper washing. Good thing is, after peeling off, it looks like new. But when the access glue sticks on the surface, the workers will use some chemicals and rags to clean it off. This process may add scratches to the surface. It depends on quality and workmanship after all. Another factor to consider, cost of replacement.

For coatings, there are many types. There are many which are self labels or rebranded. It would be good to ask for proper test reports by known testing centres from the applicators and warranty if its going to be expensive.

For 9H coating so far for my knowledge, there is only ceramic pro 9h from Ace Gt.

For me, I stick to wax every 2 months. Treat it as a form of exercise.

:)

Hi TK,

Thanks for the information, so far some of the PPS are very impressive and as much as I would like; the very concern on stone chips, scratches, bird shit and all other stuff still worries me.

Anyway you are very right and everything have a double edge sword........... so sometime too many options are like no options oso [:p] [:p] [:p]

Film has a better protection against stone chips compared to coating. Film will still require maintenance as it turns dull after awhile. I know that because the duragloss brothers have been manufacturing sealant, shampoo etc to film company in U.S.

I myself frequent shipyard as well. Even with the film on, you get blasting stick on it but good thing as mentioned, you can remove the film and it will be new again. I would suggest send it to a grooming center and sign a packing with them if you hardly have yime to diy.

Get the 9H coating then go put the protective film on top. Double protection!

[idea] [idea] [idea] Good Idea!!!!

But I don't print money lehh...... [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry]

4th Gear

Go with coating more than sufficient. Rather you spend the money for respray down the road.

• Praise 2

Hi Mates,

My sharing of car wrap/film:

• Did my 3M wrap in 3.5 years back and decision was it's the best quality wrap and really don't mind spending close to S$350+ for bonnet alone. Told that it will protect the original paint work even after removing it.
  • Did it on my rooftop and bonnet total cost around S$670, on my white A3.

2 weeks ago:

• Decided to change my car's look and take out the bonnet piece and rooftop remain.
  • To my shock, the bonnet is so yellowish even after a session of polishing, the other car parts looks so much newer than the wrap bonnet.
  • Was told by 3M that warranty of film only up to 3 years only, that I am more than happy to know but it does not say it will damaged my body works if I do not remove within 3 years. In the website you will be able to see that it does mentioned;
  • Now, I will need to spend another S$200 to do up my bonnet and not forgetting my rooftop still have the wrap :(

So my advise is to look at the cost you willing to spend or want to spend;

• if use other alternative wrap maybe around S$1K and knowing that may need to spend S$1.8K for full car respray
  • or just leave it and respray every 3 years and get a polishing workshop to do a quarterly grooming

and not like me pay high for quality and kana pay again for a not prepared cost.

Good luck Mates.

post-144281-0-15311900-1401680029_thumb.jpg

• Praise 4

4th Gear
(edited)

Bro FourZero, so sorry to hear about your predicament. However very grateful that you shared it here so any one interested in such wrap knows the downside.

Very informative, thank you.

Edited by EXO

Bro FourZero, so sorry to hear about your predicament. However very grateful that you shared it here so any one interested in such wrap knows the downside.

Very informative, thank you.

Your r most welcome EXO. Hope my sharing can give you Mates a better option and alternative for our beloved cars (one of the most expensive asset)

Hi Bluecollar, so what did you decide on in the end? I will be getting my new car soon and can't decide what PPS to use. Is Ceramic Pro better than CSII? anyone has any experience to share? My car will be metallic blue.

• Praise 1

lets say the 9H kana scratches from cat's claw, so how do we remove it?

will applying rubbing compound or polish removes the coating?

lets say the 9H kana scratches from cat's claw, so how do we remove it?

will applying rubbing compound or polish removes the coating?

Depending on what compound you use and how much you polish. Generally it will thin down the coating.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the heads up bro.i just use those normal sealant and lightly rub it off.

Lucky it works.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1