Recommendation for receiver with GPS and reverse camera

Fishy

Hi, I need some suggestions / recommendations as this is the first time I am getting an aftermarket receiver. I hope this receiver will come with inbuilt GPS and can attach a reverse camera to it. I did some research, seems like Alpine and Kenwood are reputable whereas Pioneer doesnt come with inbuilt GPS (thats what the local website says). My car is still under warranty, hope installation of aftermarket reverse camera and receiver will not void the overall car warranty.Any recommendations?

Thank you!

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Hi, I need some suggestions / recommendations as this is the first time I am getting an aftermarket receiver. I hope this receiver will come with inbuilt GPS and can attach a reverse camera to it. I did some research, seems like Alpine and Kenwood are reputable whereas Pioneer doesnt come with inbuilt GPS (thats what the local website says). My car is still under warranty, hope installation of aftermarket reverse camera and receiver will not void the overall car warranty.Any recommendations?

Thank you!

The GPS is running on what software? Is there a mini sd card slot? My stock unit comes with everything including navigation that's stored in a sd card. To update the SLA map I could do it via the sd card. The only mod I had to do is change the center console in-built cd player to a dvd player and I added 2 headrest monitor at the rear. Reverse cam also came as standard for my car. The AD invite their appointed installer to do the changes to my stock unit. This covers the warranty thing.

There are some short comings of course. For the "aux in" there's only one slot and it's taken up by the reverse cam. But luckily my car comes with 2 additional usb ports (to connect a hard drive, play music or video) and an ipod connection(found in the glove box), so it pretty much covers most of the entertainment. Check with the installer to see if you could add additional usb ports or extra aux in.

Other short coming is I have to mute the navigation if I want to listen to music else it will be switching between screens, kinda annoying. Switching between screens is when the voice navigation kicks in. Good thing if I mute it is that I could navigate on my main screen while my kids can enjoy dvd at the rear. Check with your installer whether the HU could "multitask". Mine has a useful "BACK" button so that even while navigation and if I have an incoming call via bluetooth I could answer the call and press "Back" to continue with the navigation. My navigation is on mute anyway. So it won't clash coz they will be using the same speakers.

One thing to note is that you can't watch movie while driving. TP will stop you. So I always switch to main screen via "Back" button. So far I have learn to adapt to it. With the touch screen it's easy to use compared to what some German cars have. They can only access the menu using a knob which I think will take some getting use to. Only issue is the fingerprint smudges. Dunno whether can put a 7" screen protector. LoL...

Edited by Watwheels

The GPS is running on what software? Is there a mini sd card slot? My stock unit comes with everything including navigation that's stored in a sd card. To update the SLA map I could do it via the sd card. The only mod I had to do is change the center console in-built cd player to a dvd player and I added 2 headrest monitor at the rear. Reverse cam also came as standard for my car. The AD invite their appointed installer to do the changes to my stock unit. This covers the warranty thing.

There are some short comings of course. For the "aux in" there's only one slot and it's taken up by the reverse cam. But luckily my car comes with 2 additional usb ports (to connect a hard drive, play music or video) and an ipod connection(found in the glove box), so it pretty much covers most of the entertainment. Check with the installer to see if you could add additional usb ports or extra aux in.

Other short coming is I have to mute the navigation if I want to listen to music else it will be switching between screens, kinda annoying. Switching between screens is when the voice navigation kicks in. Good thing if I mute it is that I could navigate on my main screen while my kids can enjoy dvd at the rear. Check with your installer whether the HU could "multitask". Mine has a useful "BACK" button so that even while navigation and if I have an incoming call via bluetooth I could answer the call and press "Back" to continue with the navigation. My navigation is on mute anyway. So it won't clash coz they will be using the same speakers.

One thing to note is that you can't watch movie while driving. TP will stop you. So I always switch to main screen via "Back" button. So far I have learn to adapt to it. With the touch screen it's easy to use compared to what some German cars have. They can only access the menu using a knob which I think will take some getting use to. Only issue is the fingerprint smudges. Dunno whether can put a 7" screen protector. LoL...

thinking of 1 that uses Garmin or anything software that comes with free map updates (do they?) and comes with mini sd card slot.

i do not intend to use backseat DVD. I guess the HU will be more for reverse camera. Re the screen protector, I read some forum that its available.

thanks, I'm thinking of this http://www.kenwood.com/sg/car/visual_navigation/dnx5350bt/ and a reverse camera to go with it.

now is to find an installer and the costs.

Hi

You might want to consider getting my freelance installer to fix your items. He has more than 18 years of experience and definitely has no problem fixing. He can be reached at 97696215. On site installation might be available as well for a little token.

(edited)

might be helpful to state your car model and how the HU do the integration

Edited by Sony
↡ Advertisement