Freedom of speech in hong kong?

Jman888

Artist Lee Wen 'attacked in bathroom' at Hong Kong's City University
Singaporean was found unconscious and bloodied in toilet after City University forum
PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 May, 2014, 5:07am
UPDATED : Monday, 19 May, 2014, 8:54am
72aa7ff98466808d8018ff24ae6fbd2c.jpg?ito
Lee Wen suffered no serious injuries. Photo: SCMP
Singaporean artist Lee Wen was discharged from hospital yesterday, a day after he was found unconscious in a City University bathroom with facial injuries following a forum there.
Police and media had initially said Lee could not recall if he had slipped and hurt himself or was beaten up. But he became convinced he had been attacked, according to his friend and fellow artist, Chan San-mu.
During the forum, Lee criticised the human rights situation on the mainland, but he did not speculate on a motive for the apparent attack, which resulted in minor injuries.
Lee was too tired to discuss with his friends who could have been behind the attack, said Chan, who met Lee after he was discharged from Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital. Lee was set to leave Hong Kong as scheduled today.
The 56-year-old, who has Parkinson's disease, was in the city for the Art Basel event.
"He was attacked before he had a chance to see what [the perpetrator] looked like," Chan said.
Liu Nanxi, another friend of Lee's and the project officer of the Centre for Community Cultural Development, wrote on her Facebook page on Saturday: "There was blood all over [his] face and he was left unconscious on the floor for half an hour."
Yesterday Liu wrote that Lee had told them "not to jump to any conclusions" when they asked him if the culprit could be an extremist from the mainland.
Online, many speculated that Lee had been attacked because during the forum he raised concerns about the arrest this month of soldier-turned-artist Chen Guang. Police in Beijing arrested Chen when he staged a work of performance art to commemorate the Tiananmen Square crackdown as its 25th anniversary approaches.
Richard Tsoi Yiu-cheong, vice-chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, said "it would be hard to draw any conclusion based on the incomprehensive reports". But he said the alliance would offer help if necessary.
City University declined to comment.

some time better keep the opinion to yourself, especially regarding politic of other people.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

He is in a foreign land! Its the same as a ft in SG.....dont talk bad about other country....politics or anything. Down here we rant and complain....anywhere else you can get injured badly or worst killed!

Turbocharged
(edited)

He is in a foreign land! Its the same as a ft in SG.....dont talk bad about other country....politics or anything. Down here we rant and complain....anywhere else you can get injured badly or worst killed!

If my home is messed up by the ones i trusted to keep it in order, the least i will do is to fffkkk him ("them", edited) upside down. [grin]

Edited by Super7

If my home is messed up by the ones i trusted to keep it in order, the least i will do is to fffkkk him ("them", edited) upside down. [grin]

but he is not at home lei! as much as everybody have worries its best to worry about own back yard! Best is try to remain neutral....just like we want out fts to be seen neutral. But in private its up to one indiscretion!

Hypersonic

Sorry, called me mountain turtle also can.

Who is artist Lee Wen?

Paiseh, I really don't know :(

Turbocharged

but he is not at home lei! as much as everybody have worries its best to worry about own back yard! Best is try to remain neutral....just like we want out fts to be seen neutral. But in private its up to one indiscretion!

Not lah, not referring to what he said about HK when he was there...

He should do it at home when his own home is messed up [grin]

Not lah, not referring to what he said about HK when he was there...

He should do it at home when his own home is messed up [grin]

ya...i oso agree. Actually this incident is not about HK's freedom of speech issue!

Turbocharged
(edited)

ya...i oso agree. Actually this incident is not about HK's freedom of speech issue!

maybe he's lots of friends in HK's artists' circle? So he felt he should speak up for them, and ended up in blood. :mellow:[blush]

Edited by Super7

maybe he's lots of friends in HK's artists' circle? So he felt he should speak up for them, and ended up in blood. :mellow:[blush]

He should spoke up for us too...at least we can buy coffee for him instead of spilling his own blood for others!
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

He should spoke up for us too...at least we can buy coffee for him instead of spilling his own blood for others!

ya! and he could have saved the air ticket and hotel stay in HK!! (didnt he receive a Medallion for his contribution to arts in SGP few years ago?)

ya! and he could have saved the air ticket and hotel stay in HK!! (didnt he receive a Medallion for his contribution to arts in SGP few years ago?)

dont know lei....Arts scene always escapes me! Maybe i am not keen in the Arts...hehehe! Dont know why artistic pips always gets into the wrong side of the law.....maybe not much else to do.....then go stir the hornet's nest!

Turbocharged

dont know lei....Arts scene always escapes me! Maybe i am not keen in the Arts...hehehe! Dont know why artistic pips always gets into the wrong side of the law.....maybe not much else to do.....then go stir the hornet's nest!

I think:

Artists = Creative People = Creativity and Controls/Constraints dont go hands in hands... places like sgp have less freedom ie more contstraints than some other places = artists buay tahan!! = Speak out!

Even if want to comment or laugh at people, also don do it in their land mah

Better still, do it in their enemy land [laugh]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Even if want to comment or laugh at people, also don do it in their land mah

Better still, do it in their enemy land [laugh]

now looking for cheap air ticket to china cities to bash vietnam!!! (bashing verbally, of course) [grin]

Turbocharged

some time better keep the opinion to yourself, especially regarding politic of other people.

Yup, but when you think about it, if ever he was so conformist and toe the line, then he wouldn't be an artist!

well maybe he thought since they can have protest and street demonstration in HK, why can't he speak freely.

↡ Advertisement