In-car camera mobile App launched

Not bad if it works well. A good alternative for car cameras.

The pro of using this over the in car camera is that no need to retrieve/transfer the video footage from your in car camera, since you can just submit from your smartphone. More importantly it's free and also no cumbersome installation. I think this is a must for all drivers, who do not have a in car camera installed. Do note that the app will only be launched this Friday, and available for both iOS and Android.

Now the thing is, where can I find a good bracket to mount onto the windscreen?

post-141201-0-71020900-1400635801_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Why must you wait? There is a free app which records and uploads to Dropbox. I think it's called iRegistrator DVR.

Edited by Watwheels

Turbocharged

this is quite impractical i think. means you cant use gps, and what happens if you get an incoming call? imho, prefer to have a standalone device that's always there, instead of pulling out the phone ...

• Praise 1

this is quite impractical i think. means you cant use gps, and what happens if you get an incoming call? imho, prefer to have a standalone device that's always there, instead of pulling out the phone ...

Not sure how it works, but if smartphone can truly multitask, shd still be able to use GPS and make calls. Of cos getting a dedicated camera is good, but some people don't want to buy, or don't like the installation, this can be good alternative. Esp those people already currently using hp as GPS mounted on windscreen

Supercharged

Why must you wait? There is a free app which records and uploads to Dropbox. I think it's called iRegistrator DVR.

how is the battery usage for this app?

I tried AutoGuard and the battery drain is really horrible.

the app is darn good. but the battery usage is horrible. or mabbe my phone is old?

Supercharged

i actually find it quite good. it is a good app to have if you want to recycle some of the old phones you have lying around collecting dust. [laugh]

give a second life to those old hardware which i am really reluctant to give up. [:p] much to the irritation of the wifey [:p]

Turbocharged

i actually find it quite good. it is a good app to have if you want to recycle some of the old phones you have lying around collecting dust. [laugh]

give a second life to those old hardware which i am really reluctant to give up. [:p] much to the irritation of the wifey [:p]

my only worry with that is having some kid smash my windows to steal an old iphone4 or something ><

maybe i just worry too much :D

Even though this app based DVR is free, the hardware of the smartphones still lags that of the dedicated car cams. E.g. WDR for clear night video, motion detection while stationary (would you put your smartphone in plain sight on the widescreen for motion detection capture? Not safety smart in sleazy neighbourhoods!), etc). And the car cams now are budget friendly ($60 US for a good G1W). Granted the smartphone can upload the video to cloud easily, but while the smartphone is recording video, the phone's other uses will be limited while driving?

I'll still stick to my car cams for road recording and leave my smartphone to answer calls and navigation.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

my only worry with that is having some kid smash my windows to steal an old iphone4 or something ><

maybe i just worry too much :D

bro, take out when you are not driving lah.

the phone is not meant to be a fixed asset in the car. [laugh]

Hypersonic

bro, take out when you are not driving lah.

the phone is not meant to be a fixed asset in the car. [laugh]

Why still left in the car? later ganna smash windowns, not to take cashcard, but take iphone :(

Anyway, I still think best to use a dedicated in-car recorder. You can always record road conditions while driving or records when you parked (just in case you want to film who scratch your car).

Anyway, installation just one-time off, so not so troublesome.

Phone best use just for phone purposes, like calls, and messages.

This app will be the best spycam if display screen at home screen, function like a phone with rolling camera in operations.

• Praise 1

I think the resolution depends on your handphone camera ... and if you switch on everyday, does it not take up the storage space on yr mobile or SD card? Dun tink u will delete everyday rite?

Worth to try but I dun tink it is better than a car camera

• Praise 1

how is the battery usage for this app?

I tried AutoGuard and the battery drain is really horrible.

the app is darn good. but the battery usage is horrible. or mabbe my phone is old?

That's the short coming of using your phone. Because it's using the GPS and camera function at the same time and it will drain the battery regardless what phone or what app. One other way is to attach a charging cable to your phone whenever you use the app to maintain the charge/power.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

That's the short coming of using your phone. Because it's using the GPS and camera function at the same time and it will drain the battery regardless what phone or what app. One other way is to attach a charging cable to your phone whenever you use the app to maintain the charge/power.

i did. the drain is faster than the cable can supply charge to the battery.

so, battery still died on those long trips.

what is the max duration you got outta your phone on full charge using the apps?

(edited)

i did. the drain is faster than the cable can supply charge to the battery.

so, battery still died on those long trips.

what is the max duration you got outta your phone on full charge using the apps?

I dunno coz like you I find that they drain the batt too quickly hence I install a car cam.

I downloaded the app find it not useful, dan deleted it.

Even I have a Papago app which has a cam function I do not use. I only use the navigation function. For this app the power consumption is lower. I did tried using the charger when the cam function is on too and at least the charge can maintain. But Papago full version app is not free.

Edited by Watwheels

Supercharged

I dunno coz like you I find that they drain the batt too quickly hence I install a car cam.

I downloaded the app find it not useful, dan deleted it.

Even I have a Papago app which has a cam function I do not use. I only use the navigation function. For this app the power consumption is lower. I did tried using the charger when the cam function is on too and at least the charge can maintain. But Papago full version app is not free.

I see I see. thanks for sharing then.

i do find the app useful, esp when i am overseas and need an ad-hoc car cam when driving relative's car.

so, it is still useful to some extend.

(edited)

I see I see. thanks for sharing then.

i do find the app useful, esp when i am overseas and need an ad-hoc car cam when driving relative's car.

so, it is still useful to some extend.

No. problem. For now I think I use more of the Waze app. Coz for the real time traffic. And recently Glympse app for real time tracking when I'm meeting my wife, friends or clients. It shows my real time speed & location on the Google map. I can set the time like eg. 30mins which by dan I will arrive for the info to expire. After that they can't track me anymore unless I set again.

Edited by Watwheels

Supercharged

No. problem. For now I think I use more of the Waze app. Coz for the real time traffic. And recently Glympse app for real time tracking when I'm meeting my wife, friends or clients. It shows my real time speed & location on the Google map. I can set the time like eg. 30mins which by dan I will arrive for the info to expire. After that they can't track me anymore unless I set again.

yes. i like the waze app. it is a must have when driving in M'sia. the info there is damn accurate~!!

i will try the Glympse app. haven't heard of that one yet.

↡ Advertisement