How bad must this car be?

Alheych

This should probably be in the Alfa Romeo club, but I'm not trying to be a troll. I'm really curious.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=387379&DL=2286

How bad must this car be?

An OMV of 43k, selling just 4k above its current paper value, depreication at 5k per year, and already has had 5 owners in the past 7 and a half years.

I really wonder if the car can move when anyone buys it.

All its previous owners must have thought they they couldn't lose much more since the depreciation has already been absorbed by the previous person. Looks like the car proved them wrong?

Dealer can say a honest one.

They earn via commission of $500 from seller, $500 from buyer.

Anything in-between, it's seller & buyer own problem.

If you wanna view the car, the owner would have to drive it down for you unless the owner parked the car there earlier.

So you can meet up with the owner, speak with him, ask him why.

For all I know, 166 engine note is beautiful.

W&T replacement, 1arm, 1leg.

Timing belt change for 166, $3k, 2days down time.

Need to change rims, not really available in Singapore, self import or Group Buy.

Gear Box, this is a reliable one.

But if spoilt, don't know how to fix type.

Some 159 owner (3.2l) cannot resolve the GB issues despite several visits to the AD & 3rd party WS.

If u mind all these issues, don't buy Alfa because buying Alfa is from the heart, not mind.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think the deciding factor why pple quickly sell it off is the gearbox is a gonner.

This car needs the team from Wheeler Dealers mechanic Ed China.

He is my hero. He is really a super mechanic. [thumbsup]

He's tall, long legs, long arms.... good for car repair work!! :D

His partner is a true wheeler dealer but i like him [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

yeah i saw it at 36k too.

the current paper value is 32k so it's 4k above paper value.

Buy it at 1k above p value... keep the 3k as part of the money for repairs [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

This 3L V6 I don't know. A GM OEM?

But the carbureted 3L V6 ALFA engine of the 164 in the 80s was superb, with the deep-throated rumble and roar of true-blue Italian pedigree engines then.

Yes the 164! Superb sound! Had the chance to drive it.

I think the deciding factor why pple quickly sell it off is the gearbox is a gonner.

This car needs the team from Wheeler Dealers mechanic Ed China.

He is my hero. He is really a super mechanic. [thumbsup]

That's cos Edd China has an engineering degree so he knows how the various parts of the car work. If you look at how he carefully explains things on wheeler dealers, he isn't your ordinary mechanic. When you look at how careful he is at dismantling parts, you start to question whether your normal mechanic is as meticulous as him. He is overqualified for his role on wheeler dealers but he probably loves cars so he doesn't mind getting dirty.

Back to the topic at hand, this car dealer has so many cars for sale as these cars are on consignment.

I have considered getting an Alfa but there were a number of factors that put me off.

• First the depreciation. The first owner loses a ton of money, the second owner still loses a substantial amount of money. Normally the first owner will take the bulk of it and the second and third owners don't lose as much. This car is a good example of it not having much resale value.
  • Second, the reliability. Alfas aren't exactly the most reliable. I test drove an Alfa 156 which was depreciating at 5k a year as it only had one year left on its COE. The car was okay during the test drive but when the dealer wanted to move the cars around, the gearbox died completely and the car couldn't move. I asked the dealer if the gearbox could be fixed, he said that he's gonna have to scrap the Alfa as fixing or replacing it isn't gonna be cheap. He probably took it in at scrap value so he didn't lose much other than the petrol, the ad and the interest paid to the credit company. When coupled with the fact that such cars are considered "unique" parts aren't that easily accessible. This makes getting parts difficult and expensive. Not something I'd want.
  • Third, the space. If you've sat in an Alfa, you'd notice that you are seated in a rather awkward manner and feel rather cramped. Imagine a 156 having less space than an Altis.

However there is one redeeming factor, the power. The engine has a very nice grunt to it.

That's cos Edd China has an engineering degree so he knows how the various parts of the car work. If you look at how he carefully explains things on wheeler dealers, he isn't your ordinary mechanic. When you look at how careful he is at dismantling parts, you start to question whether your normal mechanic is as meticulous as him. He is overqualified for his role on wheeler dealers but he probably loves cars so he doesn't mind getting dirty.

Back to the topic at hand, this car dealer has so many cars for sale as these cars are on consignment.

I have considered getting an Alfa but there were a number of factors that put me off.

• First the depreciation. The first owner loses a ton of money, the second owner still loses a substantial amount of money. Normally the first owner will take the bulk of it and the second and third owners don't lose as much. This car is a good example of it not having much resale value.
  • Second, the reliability. Alfas aren't exactly the most reliable. I test drove an Alfa 156 which was depreciating at 5k a year as it only had one year left on its COE. The car was okay during the test drive but when the dealer wanted to move the cars around, the gearbox died completely and the car couldn't move. I asked the dealer if the gearbox could be fixed, he said that he's gonna have to scrap the Alfa as fixing or replacing it isn't gonna be cheap. He probably took it in at scrap value so he didn't lose much other than the petrol, the ad and the interest paid to the credit company. When coupled with the fact that such cars are considered "unique" parts aren't that easily accessible. This makes getting parts difficult and expensive. Not something I'd want.
  • Third, the space. If you've sat in an Alfa, you'd notice that you are seated in a rather awkward manner and feel rather cramped. Imagine a 156 having less space than an Altis.

However there is one redeeming factor, the power. The engine has a very nice grunt to it.

I had the opportunity to drive this car. It does feel very manly and grunty (not particularly fast though). Top gear mentioned it was suppose to rival the BMW 5 series if I remember correctly.It was my riding friends brothers car. It was plagued with a lot of minor problem nothing tooo expensive. I think it was the aircon and alignment that were giving

problems. And yes the resale was terrible hence its sitting in their Malaysia house mostly.

I had the opportunity to drive this car. It does feel very manly and grunty (not particularly fast though). Top gear mentioned it was suppose to rival the BMW 5 series if I remember correctly.It was my riding friends brothers car. It was plagued with a lot of minor problem nothing tooo expensive. I think it was the aircon and alignment that were giving

problems. And yes the resale was terrible hence its sitting in their Malaysia house mostly.

with 5 owners in just 7.5 years, i don't think they're just minor problems anymore...

with 5 owners in just 7.5 years, i don't think they're just minor problems anymore...

My Bad I meant this model not this particular car.

Yeah guys... Better not to buy an Alfa or else it will be the same as BMW, MERC, VW and Honda... You see lots of them in a MSCP while there might only be 1 - 2 alfas. [:p]:D

156 won how many awards compared with corolla?

U test drive one that can't be driven and u say all Alfas not reliable?

I know everyday I take my car will bring a smile to my face that, my Alfa 9years old, 240,000km is more reliable than a brand new VW.

It's good that majority of people stay away from Alfa.

We Alfa owners like it this way.

• Praise 4

The 166 is the luxury flagship of Alfa Romeos during its time.

Oddly, the gearbox is only a 4 speed.

For this particular car, its quite likely for it to have real issues over its lifetime.

On the whole, a lot of people like the prettiest girl in the room, but few take the time to understand her, what makes her special, what makes her gorgeous, and what she takes time to do, to be special for you.

Turbocharged

On the whole, a lot of people like the prettiest girl in the room, but few take the time to understand her, what makes her special, what makes her gorgeous, and what she takes time to do, to be special for you.

Problem is, you may think she's the prettiest girl in the room but there are many more others who don't think the same way about her. Some may actually think the exact opposite about her.

The 166 is the luxury flagship of Alfa Romeos during its time.

Oddly, the gearbox is only a 4 speed.

For this particular car, its quite likely for it to have real issues over its lifetime.

What I read was, 166 was delayed for years when launched, she's lack of several what-seems-to-be standard on 156.

Multi Functions steering wheel, paddle shifts + new selespeed GB.

What I read was, 166 was delayed for years when launched, she's lack of several what-seems-to-be standard on 156.

Multi Functions steering wheel, paddle shifts + new selespeed GB.

Actually from what I've gathered, the 166 gearbox is not the best to work on, especially when it fails. it puts the selespeed to shame in technical work required. but that's just hearsay.

The engine is a peach! 3.0 V6 is very good. comfort wise is comparable, but that's just about it.

I have ever considered getting one before getting the E60. But this is one big girl I'll avoid for now. have other priorities instead :D

156 won how many awards compared with corolla?

U test drive one that can't be driven and u say all Alfas not reliable?

I know everyday I take my car will bring a smile to my face that, my Alfa 9years old, 240,000km is more reliable than a brand new VW.

It's good that majority of people stay away from Alfa.

We Alfa owners like it this way.

You may not give reputation points to this user as you have only recently praised/disliked him. You have to give reputation to 14 other member first before you can vote for him again.

Just so you know. lol

Actually hor. I thought that no one sane in this world would buy an Alfa Romeo 166 but after I saw the ad with had 5 owners before I LoL...

So there are 5 crazy dudes in sgp plus a crazy dealer odd enough to take in this...car.

This goes to show if I were to put an Alfa badge on a piece of scrap metal there will be ppl who are willing to buy.

like they said, if you nv own an alfa, you are not a true driver [laugh]

He is overqualified for his role on wheeler dealers

I wouldn't say that. I would say he's definitely overqualified to work as "just" a mechanic, but he's perfectly qualified to be a TV personality raking in big bucks from a successful cable TV show. Takes brains and real talent to be a TV personality, especially in a technically-intensive show.

↡ Advertisement