Lengthy Insurance Claim

(edited)

According to my friend's updates, the other party insurance has been insisting to declare total loss while my friend wants to repair.

The workshop quoted approx.$5k but that insurance insisted total loss. Therefore my friend was not given replacement car or anything cos the final decision is not made from tat A insurance company.

if your friend wants to keep the car, nego with the insurance company on a full and final cash settlement and go and repair the car himself.

otherwise, i don't think the other insurance company can force declare your friend's car as total loss.... i may be wrong though

i know if claim own insurance than the insurance can either declare the hirer's car as total loss or agree on cash settlement

Edited by Galantspeedz
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
(edited)

According to my friend's updates, the other party insurance has been insisting to declare total loss while my friend wants to repair.

The workshop quoted approx.$5k but that insurance insisted total loss. Therefore my friend was not given replacement car or anything cos the final decision is not made from tat A insurance company.

Sorry for my ignorance but if total loss meaning the insurance no need to pay anything? they would still require to pay the market value for the car right? From my understanding, they would still have to pay for the market value of your friend's car... Which means your friend's car value is less than $5k?

Edited by Carnoob

Sorry for my ignorance but if total loss meaning the insurance no need to pay anything? they would still require to pay the market value for the car right? From my understanding, they would still have to pay for the market value of your car... Which means your friend car value is less than $5k?

yes.... all i have to do is call a dealer , ask what price he take in... and pay based on that price... but this dealer will likely be my regular dealer so he will say... this car ar.. body $100..... so pay paper + $100......... lol

i also heard some will get dealer make a post on sgcarmart of a similar car at very low price........ then pay based on this price.... instead of all the other ads which shows higher price....... then once screenshot captured... can list the car as sold liao... lol

Supercharged

yes.... all i have to do is call a dealer , ask what price he take in... and pay based on that price... but this dealer will likely be my regular dealer so he will say... this car ar.. body $100..... so pay paper + $100......... lol

i also heard some will get dealer make a post on sgcarmart of a similar car at very low price........ then pay based on this price.... instead of all the other ads which shows higher price....... then once screenshot captured... can list the car as sold liao... lol

That's why the insurance insist on total loss... not many cars' values are below $5k, I guess TS's friend would have to negotiate how much they are willing to pay for repair... No insurance will pay $5k when say the market value is only about $3.8K... So my guess may be the other party insurer will only settle for repair cost between $3.5k to $3.8k...

Neutral Newbie

I also encounter this type accident when my car left 3 months. The workshop mention should be total loss more worst the accident at MY. I approach a workshop call auto excel in sg and they willing to repair and do the claim for me. Maybe ur friend can try try.

Appreciate all your kind advice which I will share with my friend.

My friend is going to both his & the other party insurance companies to demand answers as this case is delayed beyond a full week.

Can we made a report to CASE or seek laywer's advice ?

Thanks. Cheers!

Appreciate all your kind advice which I will share with my friend.

My friend is going to both his & the other party insurance companies to demand answers as this case is delayed beyond a full week.

Can we made a report to CASE or seek laywer's advice ?

Thanks. Cheers!

Going to his insurer is waste of time as it is not OD claim.

Look for the claim officer from 3rd party insurer & ask nicely what is the sum willing to pay.  Nego from there.  No point to bang table.  Sure lose 1.  Everyday delay will cause the car value to drop further.  It is your fren's loss & not insurer.

CASE is toothless.

↡ Advertisement