Potential MPV buyers fall in please

Aukang

the ody is slightly smaller inside than the previa overall? cant tell by naked eye but its v comfortable, at the least the one im drivng now. aircon is super cold n full of gadgets. the multi camera is espeically useful for tight parking lots n checking where the kerbs are as they point forward & down as well. 3rd row i havent sat much yet but seems ok for 2 pple. all 4 doors can b used to unlock the car unlike most sedans where the keyless access is only front 2. the low foot entry level is v good for kids n older pple.

I went to check out both ody and previa. when i asked my wife and daughter to join me in sitting on 3rd row (this is my acid test for 3rd row spaciousness), ody was a shade more squeezy. i think this has to do with previa being slightly taller than ody, so the seats are slightly taller too. But it is much more spacious than my wish, where there is only enough space for 2 persons.

Biante is not perfect, but the people at 3rd row gets better seat than the 2nd row, which is already good enough to start with.

Not squatting, plenty of leg room, very plush. [thumbsup]

Yes, Biante 3rd row is thicker, and more comfortable than i'm sure, estima, and likely maybe even elgrand, simply because it is a bench, which is usually thicker than those where 3rd row can split, either 50:50 or 60:40.

↡ Advertisement

to those who think ody (RB1-3)is less comfy than estima at the third row. You are wrong,

try to sit in it and you will know and not let the eyes decide.

estima seat feels like squading rather than sitting due to the elevated floor for more underneath boot space.

Not saying that the Ody is less comfy than Estima.

But when I sat in the 3rd row seats of the Previa (Estima), it felt a little low.

Maybe I will go back take another look and feel.

Edited by nickyboy69

Yes, Biante 3rd row is thicker, and more comfortable than i'm sure, estima, and likely maybe even elgrand, simply because it is a bench, which is usually thicker than those where 3rd row can split, either 50:50 or 60:40.

thats prob y it cant fold down flat as its too big to do so, depends wat u gona use the mpv for.

Biante is not perfect, but the people at 3rd row gets better seat than the 2nd row, which is already good enough to start with.

Not squatting, plenty of leg room, very plush. [thumbsup]

Hmm, will go back take another look and feel.

thats prob y it cant fold down flat as its too big to do so, depends wat u gona use the mpv for.

Yes, it is really what you using the mpv for. Biante 3rd row can also slide forth and back to adjust the amount of legroom or cargo space, which I do not think Ody and Estima can. But if you need something that be splitted, then can forget about this ride.

• Praise 1

Anyone keen to get a Honda Stream 1.8A? OPC Silver Mileage 99,000km Registered 10 Jan 2007.

28 months more to go. Looking to let go at around $32,000.

Can msg me at 92344814.

Anyone keen to get a Honda Stream 1.8A? OPC Silver Mileage 99,000km Registered 10 Jan 2007.

28 months more to go. Looking to let go at around $32,000.

Can msg me at 92344814.

quite similar to the statistic of my Toyota Wish. Non OPC...Mileage: 105k, Registered Jan 2007.

Another person who has similarities with me. I'm 1.8 m too, and my p 5 girl is already taller than my mum, and closing in on my wife.

So i'm also looking at full-sized MPVs when my Wish expires in Jan 16...

You might want to check out Elgrand too.

driving a Wish now....my sec 1 girl is already 1.69m while my P4 boy is 1.5m while i am 1.74m. My girl has already exceeded my wife since P6. Mine will expire Jan 2017. Will stick to a mid size MPV (eg. Wish again) given the price of full-size MPV (at least 20-30k more? >160k?).

• Praise 1

OT a bit…

Do you think Toyota will change the name of Isis? It's a decent car and one of 3 that i had shortlisted and was deciding between years back...

Read that one America firm with that name had changed it last week, for fear being associated with the notorious ISIS now...

Frankly, I don't care. Its a great car. Hopefully they will lower prices ...... Maybe the coalition will bomb them off the face of the earth in a year or 2 ...... Right now, I'm left with Isis in my shortlist after dropping Noah and Biante earlier.

Edited by samfreak

I am driving a Honda Freed, 7-seater, 1.4l.

Year purchased: Jun 2009

Bought from: Hua Yang

Seating Capability: Official is 7-seater but was able to carry 5 adults and 4 children (primary levels) up-slope into IMM carpark for a meal.

Fuel consumption: Getting 12km/l at 50:50. If school holidays, then will be 85% highway getting 13-14km/l.

Carrying capacity: Managed to carry the following (of course at different periods of time)

a. 2 adult-sized mountain bikes and 2 kiddie tricycles

b. IKEA's Billy and IVAR tall shelves (flat-packed)

Still have 5 more years so no hurry in replacing the car. However, backside still itchy and have been looking around.

Checked out the following:

a. VW Touran - nice and compact but the 3rd row too low

b. VW Sharan - nice and comfy but pricey

c. Honda Ody - nice and spacious but pricey and 3rd row too low

d. Mazda5 - cramped 3rd row seats

e. Mazda8 - 3rd row too low

f. Mazda Biante - the wife didn't like it, otherwise thought it was considerable

g. Toyota Previa - nice and most likely to be next car if COE drops

h. Toyota Alphard - the kids loved it but too big and tall for my humble HDB carpark

i. Toyota Avanza - like going back to 3rd world, banged my head when sitting in 3rd row and back door closed.

it was really enlightening to read your post and I wondered if you may provide your opinion on two MPV I am looking at:

Toyota Velfire and Nissan Elgrand

it was really enlightening to read your post and I wondered if you may provide your opinion on two MPV I am looking at:

Toyota Velfire and Nissan Elgrand

Honestly, I haven't seen or reviewed the Vellfire and Elgrand.

Intended to go check them out today.

But was pulled along to have a 2nd review of the Odyssey7; Mazda8 and Biante.

Ok, after a closer and longer 'inspection' of the 3 models.

Mazda Biante - Overall still looks good but concern on the height (1.83m)

Mazda 8 - I still feel 3rd row low but the family thought otherwise.

Honda Odyssey7 - Again, I still think 3rd row low but the family loved this car.

So now my list of possible replacement car for my Honda Freed are:

1st choice - Honda Odyssey7

2nd choice - Mazda 8

3rd choice - Toyota Previa

Have not made up my mind, cos will still need to check out Toyota Vellfire and Nissan Elgrand.

Hopefully can do so next week.

Edited by nickyboy69

Honestly, I haven't seen or reviewed the Vellfire and Elgrand.

Intended to go check them out today.

But was pulled along to have a 2nd review of the Odyssey7; Mazda8 and Biante.

Ok, after a closer and longer 'inspection' of the 3 models.

Mazda Biante - Overall still looks good but concern on the height (1.83m)

Mazda 8 - I still feel 3rd row low but the family thought otherwise.

Honda Odyssey7 - Again, I still think 3rd row low but the family loved this car.

So now my list of possible replacement car for my Honda Freed are:

1st choice - Honda Odyssey7

2nd choice - Mazda 8

3rd choice - Toyota Previa

Have not made up my mind, cos will still need to check out Toyota Vellfire and Nissan Elgrand.

Hopefully can do so next week.

vellfire has height issues plus the boot load is higher than estima or ody as it doesnt have sunken area. it has the best 2nd row seat but 3rd row is designed for 2 only. once u put up the 3rd row seats, theres little boot space left unless u stack upwards becoz no sunken area.

ody overall is good. driver seat area & door storage holes shld have been bigger. 3rd row leg area is good but the roof height may be an issue for 1.8m+ pple. so depends if u driving long distance with all passengers loaded often or not. if purely in sg, roof height isnt such a concern imo.

Edited by Duckduck

Neutral Newbie

Wow, i'm surprised that the Freed can take so many persons inside.

But one word of caution, i was told not to stress this as a selling point for MPVs, as it might give others the impression that it is safe and legal to do so...

I agree with most of your views about the MPVs, but for Ody and Mazda 8, i thought their 3rd row seats were already tall enough, unlike most other conti MPVs like grand scenic, grand picasso, peugeot 5008, zafira, or orlando, where one is lit sitting on the floor with a cushion… They may not be as comfortable as Previa, Alphard, Elgrand, but is decent and comparable to Galaxy and Sharan, imo.

oh, btw, don't waste time checking out the conti ones.

OT a bit…

Do you think Toyota will change the name of Isis? It's a decent car and one of 3 that i had shortlisted and was deciding between years back...

Read that one America firm with that name had changed it last week, for fear being associated with the notorious ISIS now...

Hope PI can see this post and adjust ISIS price accordingly! Then we can buy it cheaper!

vellfire has height issues plus the boot load is higher than estima or ody as it doesnt have sunken area. it has the best 2nd row seat but 3rd row is designed for 2 only. once u put up the 3rd row seats, theres little boot space left unless u stack upwards becoz no sunken area.

ody overall is good. driver seat area & door storage holes shld have been bigger. 3rd row leg area is good but the roof height may be an issue for 1.8m+ pple. so depends if u driving long distance with all passengers loaded often or not. if purely in sg, roof height isnt such a concern imo.

Vellfire - agree the boot load is higher compared to Estima.

However, boot space can be much bigger than Estima as both the middle row and third row seats can be adjusted horizontally to give enormous leg room with no boot or a "normal" leg room with 7 people on board but with enormous boot area. Estima third row seats is fix.

Loading capacity is cavernous in vellfire, if only 2 people on board, can load inside 2 mountain bike and 3 kids bike.

Missed my vellfire.

It's a huge irony that the Vellfire which is such a humongous car has next to no boot space when the 3rd row is up...

Hope PI can see this post and adjust ISIS price accordingly! Then we can buy it cheaper!

That won't happen unless MAS changes the rules and COE takes a mysterious dive...

Why would they sell lower to a buyer?

driving a Wish now....my sec 1 girl is already 1.69m while my P4 boy is 1.5m while i am 1.74m. My girl has already exceeded my wife since P6. Mine will expire Jan 2017. Will stick to a mid size MPV (eg. Wish again) given the price of full-size MPV (at least 20-30k more? >160k?).

i'm 1.8 m. When my son was 4 mth old going for his regular injection, his PD first looked and commented that he looked like a 9-mth-old baby, and predicted that he'll be taller than me when he grows up… He's (P3) half a head taller than a fellow student (P4) at his swim class. Girl (P5) is slightly taller than another P6 girl in the same swim class… I didn't realize this till i took a photo of them at the certification session on Sat...

I guess mid-sized MPV will not work anymore, maybe even by next year, not to mention for the next 10 yr after...

I doubt it… At most they might change the name at the back, just like the way they changed Toyota Harrier to Lexus...

i'm 1.8 m. When my son was 4 mth old going for his regular injection, his PD first looked and commented that he looked like a 9-mth-old baby, and predicted that he'll be taller than me when he grows up… He's (P3) half a head taller than a fellow student (P4) at his swim class. Girl (P5) is slightly taller than another P6 girl in the same swim class… I didn't realize this till i took a photo of them at the certification session on Sat...

I guess mid-sized MPV will not work anymore, maybe even by next year, not to mention for the next 10 yr after...

I doubt it… At most they might change the name at the back, just like the way they changed Toyota Harrier to Lexus...

At this rate you would be needing a Mitsubishi Rosa... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement