21 dead in South Korea hospital fire

Jman888

21 dead in South Korea hospital fire; 81-year-old man in custody
PUBLISHED ON MAY 28, 2014
south-korea-fire-hospital-280514e.jpg
A firefighter works at the scene of a fire at a hospital in Jangseong, south-west region of Jeolla on May 28, 2014. -- PHOTO: REUTERS
SEOUL (REUTERS) – A fire at a rural South Korean hospital for chronically ill elderly patients on Wednesday killed 21 people and injured eight in the second major fire this week s the country still mourns victims of a ferry disaster last month.
The midnight blaze at the hospital in the southwest region of Jeolla was put out relatively quickly, but most of the victims were elderly patients unable to walk or move freely, leading to the large number of casualties, fire officials said.
An 81-year-old man is in police custody and is being questioned on suspicion of arson after he was seen on surveillance camera walking into an empty room where the fire is believed to have started, a police official said by telephone.
The man has been identified as a patient at the hospital and is suffering from dementia, the official said.
All the victims were on the second floor of one building, and most of them suffered smoke inhalation, a local fire department official said.
The hospital held patients who required long-term care, many with dementia or disability as a result of a stroke, local media reports said.
In another fire on Wednesday morning, one person was injured when a fire broke out at a discount chain's parking lot in central Seoul, Xinhua news agency reported, quoting local tv station YTN.
The fire started at around 9.10am local time at a parking lot on the fifth floor of the discount chain Homeplus and was extinguished completely some 20 minutes later. No deaths were reported.
The fire was believed to have been caused by an overheated engine of a car parked there.

korea really very suay this year with one tragedy after another [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]
↡ Advertisement

(edited)
another fire starter [sweatdrop]

Arson attack on Seoul subway, no casualty reported
2014/05/28 13:42
SEOUL, May 28 (Yonhap) -- A 71-year-old man set fire on a subway train in Seoul on Wednesday, but no casualties were reported, police officers said.
The fire started at around 10:50 a.m. when the arsonist, identified only by his surname Cho, doused a seat inside a subway car approaching Dogok Station on Line 3 with flammable liquid and ignited it, they said.
The blaze was brought under control in roughly six minutes by subway employees, the officers said, adding that some 370 passengers on the train evacuated immediately.
"Trains are currently passing Dogok Station without stoppage due to the smoke," said an official of the subway operator.
Police said they were questioning Cho after rounding him up at a nearby hospital where he was receiving treatment for mild burns.
"I attempted to commit suicide after not receiving a proper reward for damages on a septic tank that I operated 15 years ago," Cho was quoted as telling police officers. "I received the reward through a law suit, but the amount did not meet my expectations."
The accident came hours after a fire ripped through a nursing home in Jangseong County, some 300 kilometers south of Seoul, killing at least 21 people, mostly elderly patients, and injuring eight others.
In another incident, one person was mildly injured, with no reported fatalities, in a fire at a parking lot of a discount chain in Seoul. The blaze was extinguished in 20 minutes.

Edited by Jman888

Turbocharged

So another korean minister will take responsibility and resign?

resign? too simple for them.

They cannot face-palm.....so commit suicide is the best way to get out!

Hypersonic

Pity the korean ppl, one after another disaster come and go :(

Hope they can recover and get well soon :)

Turbocharged

I bet our MIW wont dare to take up the job there lol

They won't either... Can't afford to pay them the kind of money they are milking here.. Oops! Sorry!! I mean making.. The Sk citizen will protest against anything.. Not like Singaporean so gui.. Only LLST and kpkb in forum.. Those loud hailer type claimed to sacrifice and then kana sue till bankrupt..

• Praise 1

They won't either... Can't afford to pay them the kind of money they are milking here.. Oops! Sorry!! I mean making.. The Sk citizen will protest against anything.. Not like Singaporean so gui.. Only LLST and kpkb in forum.. Those loud hailer type claimed to sacrifice and then kana sue till bankrupt..

ahem...freudian slip??? kekekekek

Turbocharged

ahem...freudian slip??? kekekekek

Boss, ur England damn powderful loh..👍 Hahahaha !!!

Twincharged

something ironic on my trip there early last year ...

the guide was saying how developed his country was ... and why we do not see cops around .... cause his country is very safe.

on the night we returned, when we got home and turned on the TV, there was a news on TV reporting that a man had kill and dismembered a woman in Seoul.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.koreabang.com%2F2012%2Fstories%2Fincompetent-police-fail-to-prevent-horrific-murder-of-woman.html&ei=6ryGU5mAM8b9oASAooHIAg&usg=AFQjCNF1jxVk_WMA2X8DplV05y0Z0oSNug&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cGU

• Praise 1

(edited)

something ironic on my trip there early last year ...

the guide was saying how developed his country was ... and why we do not see cops around .... cause his country is very safe.

on the night we returned, when we got home and turned on the TV, there was a news on TV reporting that a man had kill and dismembered a woman in Seoul.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.koreabang.com%2F2012%2Fstories%2Fincompetent-police-fail-to-prevent-horrific-murder-of-woman.html&ei=6ryGU5mAM8b9oASAooHIAg&usg=AFQjCNF1jxVk_WMA2X8DplV05y0Z0oSNug&bvm=bv.67720277,d.cGU

Singapore also have many murder case but doesn't mean not safe mah.

Edited by Jman888
↡ Advertisement