Alibaba invest in SingPost & Other News

Alibaba eyes South-east Asia e-commerce with $312.5m SingPost stake
Yasmine Yahya The Straits Times Thursday, May 29, 2014
20140529_singpost.jpg?itok=wN6vSF4L
Inset: Found of Alibaba Group, Jack Ma
SINGAPORE - The $312.5 million investment comes alongside a memorandum of understanding between the two partners that will allow them to discuss and negotiate a joint venture related to the business of international e-commerce logistics, SingPost said in a statement on Wednesday.
Here is the statement from Singpost:
SingPost and Alibaba Group to Form Strategic Collaboration to Grow International E-commerce Logistics Business
SINGAPORE, May 28 2014 - Singapore Post Limited (SingPost) and Alibaba Group Holding Limited (Alibaba Group) today announced that SingPost and Alibaba Investment Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alibaba Group Holding Limited, have entered into an investment agreement under which Alibaba Investment Limited will invest S$312.5 million to purchase 30 million existing ordinary shares held in treasury by SingPost and 190.096 million new ordinary shares and take a 10.35 per cent stake in SingPost upon completion.
Both companies also signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) which will allow them to discuss and negotiate a joint venture (JV) in respect of the business of international e-commerce logistics.
This strategic business cooperation will also tap into other e-commerce opportunities in Southeast Asia and beyond by providing amongst other things, greater access to SingPost's international logistics capabilities, infrastructure and delivery networks, and as well as end-to-end solutions to Alibaba Group customers and merchants.
SingPost is a leading provider of e-commerce logistics solutions and trusted communications in the region. As the national postal service provider in Singapore for over 150 years, SingPost offers integrated trusted communications through its domestic and international postal services and a suite of cutting-edge digital solutions for businesses and consumers.
With its regional network and infrastructure, SingPost is able to offer fully integrated e-commerce logistics solutions covering freight transportation, warehouse fulfilment, delivery and returns as well as web solutions, to its customers. SingPost's e-co

↡ Advertisement

hmmm...with the bad repute on delayed deliveries, not at home deliveries (whn ppl at home), lost mail, etc.....i wonder if it is a good move for Alibaba as they are doing quite ok atm, and i get my stuff on time everytime i order thru them.....

• Praise 1

hmmm...with the bad repute on delayed deliveries, not at home deliveries (whn ppl at home), lost mail, etc.....i wonder if it is a good move for Alibaba as they are doing quite ok atm, and i get my stuff on time everytime i order thru them.....

with the increasing online shopping, Alibaba will have a dedicated channel for shipping liao, hopefully get SingPost to improve their efficiency.

Why not Amazon buying SingPost [laugh][laugh]

Sure good move lah. Singpost shares alrdy cheong through the roof now. all the shareholders happy like bird loh

• Praise 1

with the increasing online shopping, Alibaba will have a dedicated channel for shipping liao, hopefully get SingPost to improve their efficiency.

Why not Amazon buying SingPost [laugh][laugh]

ohhhhh.the irony...hahah

Think Amazon maybe far the wiser? :D:D

solid move. no wonder last sat got news article. 果然无风不起浪

no wonder the char bor senior mgmt laugh until cannot see eye.

• Praise 2

alipay is working with enets for their taobao payment also

shiok sia..rate good,save alot trouble also

better than credit card

think they wan expand v v far to conquer the e commerce

Turbocharged

It is all relative. Compared to your past experiences maybe it has gotten worse, but compared to Alibaba's past experiences, maybe it is an improvement.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I was thinking the other side of the coin.

Our services are slowly but surely owned by outsiders.

Power plants are owned by china, etc.

Now, Singapore Post also own (though its 10%) by china.

Why can't we retain our own ownership?

Sooner or later, our assets will be owned by foreigners.

What do we have left for our next gen?

Probably just a garmen only, thats pathetic :(

• Praise 1

post-34895-0-40364700-1401333889_thumb.jpg

Like this?

• Praise 4

Let me start the garmen talk. It's already happening, our garmen also being made up of naturalized citizens instead of local born ones.

Maybe we should follow USA, only native citizens can run for President, Arnie was pissed because of that. [laugh]

• Praise 2

TH still big boss lah. no need scared.

anyway here hire so many ah tiongs postmen liao. as good as working for china company. hahaha

Hypersonic

TH still big boss lah. no need scared.

anyway here hire so many ah tiongs postmen liao. as good as working for china company. hahaha

Still have alot of our locals working inside, especially the older and aged postman / postwoman.

Talked to a friendly auntie postwoman, and she takes pride in her delivery every evening to our blocks :)

Ensure mails are arrived on time and she double-checked the addresses to make sure she put into correct letter boxes :)

Hopefully this investment won't affect our locals who are earning a decent salary.

Still have alot of our locals working inside, especially the older and aged postman / postwoman.

Talked to a friendly auntie postwoman, and she takes pride in her delivery every evening to our blocks :)

Ensure mails are arrived on time and she double-checked the addresses to make sure she put into correct letter boxes :)

Hopefully this investment won't affect our locals who are earning a decent salary.

nah. won't affect.

but the ENPs jobs getting harder.

ang moh management team pushing for more and more. alot of the old aunties are quitting.

younger gen no one wants to join.

all the new hires all from Malaysia and now china. even the malaysian don't want to work as postmen.

something really puzzled me really v long

why China post can be so effective when the country is so huge and takes v fast (like 5 days from furthest?) without hardly lost an item (so far mishandle but repost back later) and so cheap (maybe economic of scale?) but for us...so small yet so many issues and v expensive

wierd

• Praise 2

(edited)

Alibaba need to have Open Sesame and rub his Lampah 3 times to get Genie out to save him.

nah. won't affect.

but the ENPs jobs getting harder.

ang moh management team pushing for more and more. alot of the old aunties are quitting.

younger gen no one wants to join.

all the new hires all from Malaysia and now china. even the malaysian don't want to work as postmen.

I believe the Govt already classified Postman together with the Nurses as low end job....

solid move. no wonder last sat got news article. 果然无风不起浪

no wonder the char bor senior mgmt laugh until cannot see eye.

she kio tio Gulan !

then slow but surely Singapore will be part of China.

Edited by Tigerwoods
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1