Rebuilding My Engine, What Should I Do First?

Yeobt

now is 2014....so many better engines out there.

NA for NA, I don't find any recent new engines out there that can churn out >100hp per litre.

there's a reason the EGs EKs are still cult cars until today.

↡ Advertisement

NA for NA, I don't find any recent new engines out there that can churn out >100hp per litre.

there's a reason the EGs EKs are still cult cars until today.

still have the Mitsubishi 4g92 mivec, nissan sr16ve with neo vvl, toyota 20v 4age black and silvertop.

Sad to say that it is tough to maintain classic cars in SG due to the current COE system. Not worth the money unless you have that extra cash to spend.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

You don't find any cars with go kart feeling anymore like the eg/ek... Try rev to redline with those tfsi and see whose gearbox piang first.

dun bully those 7sp DSG pple lah, most living in fear liao, u think they will cheong wif u meh? [laugh]

tok abt "go-kart feeling", go try Mini, since that is the car most reviewed to drive like go-kart...

or even better: mx5 or similar cars.

Supercharged

someone recommended to me a good and simple upgrade to boost my torque.

crankshaft balancing and upgrading engine compressor. i can't seem to find any topic on this on the forum.

any kind soul can share the pro and con? am looking to spend couple of K (less than 2k) to gain my pickup speed.

TIA [:p]

If you already prepared to dump 80k (for COE renewal) + engine rebuild costs on this. Maybe consider buying a used S2000 instead?

Corners harder, revs higher and light too. Everything the EK9 is and more. Except cannot sit so many people.

crankshaft balancing and upgrading engine compressor. i can't seem to find any topic on this on the forum.

any kind soul can share the pro and con? am looking to spend couple of K (less than 2k) to gain my pickup speed.

Crankshaft balancing is to reduce vibration at the crank. I looked up on honda-tech, it shouldn't be too ex. Not sure on the prices here though. Engine compressor? The only one I know is kompressor [laugh]

Unless he meant compression ratio haha. To increase compression ratio, you can use aftermarket or EK9 type r pistons. You will see gains when you pair them with aftermarket camshaft. But got problem. You need to rebuild the engine to do this. Can makan 2+k just liddat without the parts.. After that need to chip and tune. The tuning part is the most important one to see any gains.

The pros will be better power and response throughout the rev range, better fc when cruising, and your vtec will sound very nice. Your car can play with stock rex if you dare play play.

The cons ah.. A bit ex. Cannot cheong on 95ron. And once bitten, forever poisoned [sly]

Btw, what mods you have on your car right now? I curious long long never play b series [:p]

• Praise 2

It is certainly worthwhile if you are keeping for another 10 years. The experience that you get from this is also invaluable. But unless this is your 2nd car, do everything at 1 go and be prepared for weeks without a car.

I will say go for it! [thumbsup]

The most important is get it done at a reliable n trusted n proven workshop n mech. [scholar]

Many places wil tell u they can do this n do that but many r bullsheet only. They also use your car to learn n experiment. [sly]

Get it done at a chap-a-lang ws n in no time u wil have one problem after another. [bigcry]

• Praise 2

add turbo is a very serious offend in singapore. if is not, many would have done so.

well, my ride has already upgraded the basic performance parts like air-intake, exhaust, tuner chip, upsize throttle body, upsize brake dish and etc...

am not a road chiongster, juz wanted to have a smoother daily ride. :)

There is one turbo add on that is perfectly legal in SG. [sly]

Surbo.....Hahahahahahahaha.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Supersonic

Ts, I don't mean to be a wet blanket but having an old school Honda would already raise eyebrows. Since variations have been discussed here, all the more u need to subscribe to "stock is best".

As a are aware, COEed cars have annual inspection. LTA has purchased/is purchasing a treadmill....and there is no clarity on the frequency and how they select the would be cars to grace their new toy/apparatus...

Ts, I don't mean to be a wet blanket but having an old school Honda would already raise eyebrows. Since variations have been discussed here, all the more u need to subscribe to "stock is best".

As a are aware, COEed cars have annual inspection. LTA has purchased/is purchasing a treadmill....and there is no clarity on the frequency and how they select the would be cars to grace their new toy/apparatus...

No worries on the BHP for COE'd cars. This is the reply I got from LTA regarding power and capacity (>130BHP and <1.6L) on the topic of COE renewal. Dont think they will spend time to dyno the COE'd cars.

Thank you for your email on the above dated 10 February 2014.

We would like to share with you that, the revised criteria for Categories A and B will apply only to Temporary Certificates of Entitlement (TCOEs) successfully obtained from the first bidding exercise in February 2014 onwards. That is, cars that are registered using TCOEs obtained from the first bidding exercise in February 2014 onwards will be subjected to the new categorisation criteria.

Cars that were registered using TCOEs obtained before the February 2014 first bidding exercise will continue to be categorised based on the engine capacity of the car only (e.g. Category A if engine capacity is 1,600cc and below). These cars will remain in their original COE categories upon COE renewal. In your case, the new ruling will not affect your existing car if you wish to renew its COE.

For more information on the new criteria for Category A cars, you may wish to refer to our news releases via the following link: -

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=45d40072-7231-4c5b-94c3-b6af9dd7a783

• Praise 1

lump turbo gain 75bhp~100bhp with a cost of $2k and possible fine of $500 (max).

Do up car legally with a cost of $5k with gain of 50bhp.

Which one will you do?

Turbocharged

This is one of the remaining legends out there Honda Civic EK4. Not many engine can match the 1.6L B16 monster from this machine.

there is 1 EK (car plate : 29) always zoom very fast along sengkang east towards KPE.

Pick up very fast, my car cant even smell his smoke.

dun bully those 7sp DSG pple lah, most living in fear liao, u think they will cheong wif u meh? [laugh]

tok abt "go-kart feeling", go try Mini, since that is the car most reviewed to drive like go-kart...

or even better: mx5 or similar cars.

Best gokart feeling would be a Lotus.

Lighten the car, especially the wheels will gain you pickup speed and probably save quite a bit of petrol.

Supercharged
(edited)

JDM rocks [thumbsup]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELJW-Bsrnmk#t=448

Crankshaft balancing is to reduce vibration at the crank. I looked up on honda-tech, it shouldn't be too ex. Not sure on the prices here though. Engine compressor? The only one I know is kompressor [laugh]

Unless he meant compression ratio haha. To increase compression ratio, you can use aftermarket or EK9 type r pistons. You will see gains when you pair them with aftermarket camshaft. But got problem. You need to rebuild the engine to do this. Can makan 2+k just liddat without the parts.. After that need to chip and tune. The tuning part is the most important one to see any gains.

The pros will be better power and response throughout the rev range, better fc when cruising, and your vtec will sound very nice. Your car can play with stock rex if you dare play play.

The cons ah.. A bit ex. Cannot cheong on 95ron. And once bitten, forever poisoned [sly]

Btw, what mods you have on your car right now? I curious long long never play b series [:p]

not much la, juz cheap thrill for now...supersprint exhaust, extractor, TB, open pod, apexi neo 2 tuner and a new GB only.

yet to touch the engine becos not quite familiar with what is more cost effective.

Edited by Yeobt

(edited)

To modify the engine internals,its better to do all at one go to save on labour as it is not cheap to dismantle the engine and also save cost on tuning.

Edited by Turbonetics

without Forced induction,don't expect a "boost" in torque..and what is the "boost" definition?

10nm,50nm,100nm?

and also what is engine compressor?

for NA hardcore mods on engine are skimming of crankshaft or lighter crankshaft,bigger piston for higher compression,high cam(s),valve springs,retainers,forged conrod,skimming cylinder,PNP head,cam shaft timing...etc...u can look at these popular brand among the EG and EK which is Crower,Eagle,AEM...etc.

but now there are so many 2.0 litre turbocharged engines out there that produces so much more torque and hp.

1.6L NA is history liao...

NA and FI are totally different.

and performance dont depend on HP and Torque figures alone.

Ferrari and Lamborghini are still on NA route.

↡ Advertisement