OCBC credit card fraudulently charged

Kb27

Supersonic

My latest encounter was a fraud on my Citi Visa.

A charge of USD6,000 at a hotel in US. I immediately called to tell them that it was a clear cut fraud as i was in Singapore, at the airport about to take off.

The indian sounding citibank fella said, he would block the card and report the fraud, no problem etc...

Guess what? A week later the conman checked out of the hotel and got away scot free, i received my bill with the fraudulent charge and had to handle the whole matter again.

Couldnt these idiots just inform the hotel and freeze the charge and the hotel would surely call the cops, arrest the conman , for questioning at least?

Bank likes to lose money... Their money, own time.

↡ Advertisement

Inline with this hack, I have found that on OCBC Internet banking, you can select Overseas Card Use and Overseas ATM Withdrawal to allow or disallow per card basis.

So if you're never planning to use any of such service for the card concern, you can disable it to prevent any such hacks.

That's only for ATM withdrawal, not for transaction of Visa or Mastercard overseas.

This morning received call from OCBC security at 2 am.

Card was charged CAD2390.05 at CDW CANADA ETOBICOKE ON.

Oh yeah I was sleeping at that time in SG.

The best part is I have never used this card ever, and it was hacked.

Either stolen by some OCBC internal staff or random number hacked.

The other card I had with OCBC was fraudulently charged due to CGW database being hacked.

Nowadays like very easy to hack credit card.

I had this happen top me a couple of times. I just dispute n refused to pay. [bounce1][bounce2]

I also recently kena.

wife maybank card was charged in france when we were sleeping in sg at 2am.

call the hotline to dispute immediately and the charges was reverse.

the stupid pinoy on the phone still dare to say they will continue to charge the bill to me and ask me pay first.

I told her to F off. and told her to get the manager call me then managed to settle it.

once u paid v hard to get the money back

My case I detected the fraudent charge when I was checking my monthly billing statement n they said ok I minus that charge n pay the rest. Next month bill again I see the same charge there. I called n KPKB [furious] n finally I never saw it again.

• Praise 1

Sometimes, it is not bec you used your card before or not.

The fraudsters may have gotten hold of a batch of legitimate card numbers illegally and used them to purchase stuff without the card being present.

All they need is some absent minded cardholders not to notice or if the banks are not vigilant.

Yes I think those cheats just trying their luck. If u dun check yr statement carefully u might just pay it by mistake.

Last year I received a statement and was shocked to see Annual fee charges for a credit card that I did not applied or in personal procession.

Called UOB and talked to the Card Manager and demand to know who carried the card under my name. Although it did not make any charges from the credit card, I just want to know who applied for the card and why the bank approved the card? [furious]

It was later found that one of the Marketing staff did it to hit her sale targets and I demanded that the card cancel immediately. Like that also can, knn .... :angry:

This is totally unacceptable. [thumbsdown][furious]

for those of u whose cards were used illegally...did u use those cards overseas before? those syndicates could have bribed sales staff to swipe ur card on their magnetic reader?

Another thing to b careful is:

If the sales staff swipe yr card n tell u transaction cannot go tru cos system is down, then u pay in cash n leave.

The next purchase they can collect cash n put the amt on yr card. U need to check your monthly billing ststement carefully n keep your stubs that u sign at time of purchase as evidence is very important.

This has happened to me at a Mobil station in JB. [sweatdrop]

• Praise 2

Last year, I had two credit cards from two banks that were compromised. It was fortunate that the transactions were alerted via SMS on my phone.

To play it safe, call the CC companies and instruct them to change the SMS transaction alert amount to SGD $0.10 (from the default $1000). This way, you will be immediately notified of all fraudulent transactions via SMSes.

Keep track of all the credit cards you have, and cancel those that are less frequently used or unused. One card less, one less worry.

• Praise 2

This is totally unacceptable. [thumbsdown][furious]

Also happened to me with Citibank. But at least the officer was straight forward with me, telling me that he needed to hit his sales target and wanted me to get both the Visa and Mastercard of the same card.

• Praise 1

OTP can be intercepted as I have seen real demo before. The device you are using may have already been compromised with malware that already installed silently, waiting to sniff out your login credential and OTP. once the malware sees that, it will transmit to the hacker.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Last year, I had two credit cards from two banks that were compromised. It was fortunate that the transactions were alerted via SMS on my phone.

To play it safe, call the CC companies and instruct them to change the SMS transaction alert amount to SGD $0.10 (from the default $1000). This way, you will be immediately notified of all fraudulent transactions via SMSes.

Keep track of all the credit cards you have, and cancel those that are less frequently used or unused. One card less, one less worry.

Bro what bank cc u use.... how come can set to $0.10.... DBS told me min is $100....

My brother's OCBC card was also recently compromised but he managed to get the issue resolved

without any hassles. I only carry 2 credit cards with me, Citi and CIMB. I must say that i am most impressed with CIMB, every time i make a transaction above $1,000, a bank staff would call me right away on my mobile to confirm that I was making the purchase.

They also waive any subscrption fees for 3 years so I dont have to bother about that for a while, unlike CIti who will quietly bill me for both the ready credit and credit card subscription into the monthly statement. I have to constantly look out for it and call the operator to get it waived.

Nowadays, i check my mobile constantly to keep track of my credit card transactions in light of all the fraud cases going on.

Turbocharged

wah, so many cases.

so, for on-line pruchases say with a US retailer, is there a safer method other than by credit card?

Bro what bank cc u use.... how come can set to $0.10.... DBS told me min is $100....

Huh, I just did it yesterday over my posb/master card...from $1K/- to $0.10 no issues. posb card is managed by DBS rite.

Supercharged

My brother's OCBC card was also recently compromised but he managed to get the issue resolved

without any hassles. I only carry 2 credit cards with me, Citi and CIMB. I must say that i am most impressed with CIMB, every time i make a transaction above $1,000, a bank staff would call me right away on my mobile to confirm that I was making the purchase.

They also waive any subscrption fees for 3 years so I dont have to bother about that for a while, unlike CIti who will quietly bill me for both the ready credit and credit card subscription into the monthly statement. I have to constantly look out for it and call the operator to get it waived.

Nowadays, i check my mobile constantly to keep track of my credit card transactions in light of all the fraud cases going on.

I tot CIMB CC are lifetime no subr fee ??

I did it for Citibank and for UOB credit cards.

Supercharged

OTP can be intercepted as I have seen real demo before. The device you are using may have already been compromised with malware that already installed silently, waiting to sniff out your login credential and OTP. once the malware sees that, it will transmit to the hacker.

The device = hand phone running Android?

Supercharged

Never charge anythings to that card already heng ah ..... [sweatdrop]

That's their departmental action and afterall they never informed of the outcome of the case. :huh:

...they have to hide it under the carpet...

↡ Advertisement