How to parallel park perfectly, every time

Lotr

parking_FINAL.jpg

Rules of thumb and experience help, but we prefer repeatable experiments. And if you see this and laugh, you're probably not as good as you think you are. Thankfully, the recipe for a one-move parking job is pretty simple.

1. Pull alongside the car ahead of the space you want. Align your rear axle with that car's bumper. Turn the wheel toward the curb at full lock.

2. Back up until the center of your inside rear tire aligns with the streetside edge of the forward car. Straighten wheel, continue to reverse.

3. When your outside tire aligns with that same edge, turn the wheel the other way.

4. If all went according to plan, you're in the space, bodywork intact. Get out and admire your work.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 16

Internal Moderator

parking_FINAL.jpg

Rules of thumb and experience help, but we prefer repeatable experiments. And if you see this and laugh, you're probably not as good as you think you are. Thankfully, the recipe for a one-move parking job is pretty simple.

1. Pull alongside the car ahead of the space you want. Align your rear axle with that car's bumper. Turn the wheel toward the curb at full lock.

2. Back up until the center of your inside rear tire aligns with the streetside edge of the forward car. Straighten wheel, continue to reverse.

3. When your outside tire aligns with that same edge, turn the wheel the other way.

4. If all went according to plan, you're in the space, bodywork intact. Get out and admire your work.

Thanks for sharing! Now is there a car for me to try on?

• Praise 1

Although there is theory to explain this, I mainly use my feel and sense the energy of the cars around me.

Most times I get it right, but once in a while I need to adjust again especially when the space is very tight.

Like this more shiok mah. Go and remember so much theory for what? Lol.

parking_FINAL.jpg

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

as for me, I always take out the poles. align them with certain stickers on my rear window and do the turns according to what they taught me driving school. always get it right without fail. :D

Lol. Theory always so different when comes to practical.

Most impt is to know your vehicle in and out. Including the limits your vehicle can stretch and go. Ie Driving

Some people just feel their vehicle can go beyond their limits and hence got into minor accidents or accidentally stretch their bodywork.

• Praise 1

parking_FINAL.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NFl4QLtfjc

Hypersonic

i always lament why LTA draw such big lot for parallel parking....no challenge at all.

Then you should try parallel parking in Hong Kong. On a tight road, both sides are parked with cars. Very difficult to park.

Turbocharged

Then you should try parallel parking in Hong Kong. On a tight road, both sides are parked with cars. Very difficult to park.

Just bring 1 can of white paint, another can of black paint... re-draw the lot until you can close one eye also can park!! [thumbsup]

Hypersonic

Just bring 1 can of white paint, another can of black paint... re-draw the lot until you can close one eye also can park!! [thumbsup]

How to re-draw when it's illegal parking? [grin]

Turbocharged

How to re-draw when it's illegal parking? [grin]

Can draw a legal lot to park, yes?

If it's illegal parking, just park a bit slanting also can what!!

Turbocharged

You go ulu MY areas, can parallel park by driving head in. [laugh] That's what I did in Langkawi.

Their parallel lot must be 2x the size in sgp!! [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement