Turning Elections Into An Auction Of "Goodies" ?

Picnic06-Biante15

(edited)

agreed ... that's why i salute spore govt policy .... your tax rate can be low ... but your ferrari will cost you $1.5M a pop ... and can only drive for 10 years .... muahahaha

moreover ... if one is making a lot of money .... how could not spend?

then ... what's the point of making money? yes, there is such person ... may be 1 out of 1M ? so this 1 guy ... let it low tax rate lor ... lol

bro, such a person is rare......if he did not get his hdb donkey years ago before his pay is low, he won't have hdb........plus you telling a person earning 250k per annum to not get a car, even rarer.

cherry picking examples is easy but we if we pick unrealistic ones we are merely exhibiting our skew/bias towards a particular school of thought.

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

If you recalled the Parliamentary sittings in the past, you'll noticed that the often lone sitting opposition MP will be hoot by the majority either by jeering from the background or in the worst case scenario, a defamation suit.

But now that there are more oppositions in Parliament and it becomes more and more difficult to keep them quiet, the majority came forth with a BIG word..."Constructive Parliament" or whatever crap they sugar coat it [shakehead]

Just like Flooding = Ponding, and Warning = Counselling, etc, I think "Constructive Whatever" means "Shut the fark up and stop criticising"

[flowerface]

After GE 2011, more opposition voices have raised much issues which govt is busy tackling and finding excuses to justify their past actions instead being the dominant voice in parliament.

Sporean need more vocal voices to raise their concerns and objections in parliament.

Come GE 2016, I know who to vote for in order to reveal more hidden closets and raise more public uproar to govt.

• Praise 1

Haha try not to watch too much parliament. They busy fixing the opposition now. Lol.

On serious note. I think it will take a few more years before our parliament learn to operate with multi-party. At least ours haven't resort to punching in the parliament.

Try watching the UK parliamentary sessions and I assure you that you will be cured of your "huat sio" and start talking "bombastic" English (not Singlish hor).

• Praise 1

Try watching the UK parliamentary sessions and I assure you that you will be cured of your "huat sio" and start talking "bombastic" English (not Singlish hor).

How about those from Taiwan? Fist speak louder than words?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Thatcher's famous rejection of UK joining the Euro currency

wats wrong with a noisy parliament? :)

Edited by Duckduck
  • Praise 1

More interesting observation is that khaw is talking about elections now... when the parliament just passed the mid-term.

All signs pointing to an early elections. And don't expect too much goodies from pappies. But then we already know, the less the support for them, the more goodies and more they listen! [nod]

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

• Praise 4

(edited)

next election can drag until May 2016 right ... if held in May 2015 is 1 year ahead ... so kan cheong meh?

and 2015 is SG50 leh with so many celebrations ... i don't think election will be held in 2015 lor

More interesting observation is that khaw is talking about elections now... when the parliament just passed the mid-term.

All signs pointing to an early elections. And don't expect too much goodies from pappies. But then we already know, the less the support for them, the more goodies and more they listen! [nod]

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”

Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged

Meaning what?? More profound or is it worse then Singapore one??

(edited)

Meaning what?? More profound or is it worse then Singapore one??

More profound lar.....

British : 'I beg Your Pardon'

Singkie : 'What Talking You'

Taiwan: 'Li Kong Si Mi'

[laugh][laugh]

Edited by Picnic06

Turbocharged

More profound lar.....

[laugh][laugh]

So instead of Fxxk ur mother

They say, I am going to bed ur mother?

More profound lar.....

[laugh][laugh]

British: "May it pleases the House, where is your sense of urgency??"

Sinkie Ah Hua: "Ai pung sai kah lai awe kang!!"

So instead of Fxxk ur mother

They say, I am going to bed ur mother?

I'm going to have carnal knowledge with your mum [nod]

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson

I don't mind them listening. But please don't give goodies. We all know gahmen give goodies mean using future money.

Hey... profound ...

"Your mother and I going for a private talk in the room" ... [grin]

[:p][:p]

Not very Leh. Chickenfarm one more profound... Not surprisingly.

Hypersonic

OK.... who also promise "more good years ahead" and "Swiss Standard of Living" ........ [grin]

CNA: Don't turn elections into auction of "goodies" says Minister Khaw Boon Wan

SINGAPORE: National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan on Monday (June 2) warned against turning elections into an auction between political parties promising voters as much "goodies" as they can, with as low taxes as possible.

He made this point during a dialogue at the joint World Cities Summit, Singapore International Water Week and CleanEnviro Summit. The topic of financing rapid urbanisation came up. Mr Angel Gurria, the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development had raised that a common way of financing urban growth is through taxes such as consumption tax, property taxes, or green taxes. Mr Khaw said it is natural for people to want more, but not want to pay higher taxes for it. He said political parties should not take advantage of this.

"In all honesty, we must acknowledge most of our people would always want more, but would never want to pay more in taxes, and it's incumbent upon our part to be honest with our voters, because if every election is a mere auction between political parties to give as much goodies as they can with as little taxes they need to pay, I think democracy of that manner must lead to insolvency and eventually, political cynicism."

Mr Khaw added there is no shortage of money to finance the development of infrastructure - the problem is a lack of sustainable good ideas which will benefit all sectors in a country. He said, as long as projects are bankable, there will be no shortage of funding. However, it is inevitable that governments may need to help finance some projects in order to help the poorer segments of the population.

Mr Khaw also shared with delegates some lessons that Singapore has learnt. One is the importance of keeping the economy open. He stressed that protectionism has no place in Singapore. This is because in the case of Singapore, its domestic market is too small.

Still, some observers say being small may have its advantages.

Said CEO of Suez Environment Company, Mr Jean-Louis Chaussade: “Small cities are much easier to manage than very big cities where the problems are really complex due to the size. It's less in terms of technology; it's easier in terms of human resources, and human cooperation."

However, Singapore faces additional challenges because it is a city-state.

"Because the state consists of only one city, if the city fails, the country fails. So, for example, Detroit may be bankrupt but there are many other American cities can continue to prosper and America remains a major global power," explained Mr Khaw.

Mr Khaw added that as a small city state without a natural hinterland, Singapore will feel the impact of globalisation more acutely.

- CNA/xk

link: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/don-t-turn-elections-into/1133560.html

hmmmm........... no shortage of money to finance the development of infrastructure.

But WHY keep extending CPF minimum sum and retirement age ? [confused]

you you back become shortage liao lah..............simple maths you no know ah??............ [laugh] ..

or give $0.50 take back $1.00

I don't mind them listening. But please don't give goodies. We all know gahmen give goodies mean using future money.

Not very Leh. Chickenfarm one more profound... Not surprisingly.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

or give $0.50 take back $1.00

If u are middle class then true. Lower income group really is recvd nia.

Hypersonic

although I agree with the logic behind his saying, I can't help but think back pap dangle those estate upgrade carrot to win the voters' votes during GE. hypocrisy at its best.

it is not a problem to pay taxes. but doesn't feel good when we wonder whether the taxes goes to fund biggest (by few times compared against the country ranked second) cabinet pay packet in the world.

now upgrade carrot finish liao mah...........smlj package also come out liao............run out of new ideas for goodie bags mah............so say sorry lah goodie bag is no good lor............... [laugh]

If my memory didn't fail me, I remembered vividly that a particular party on a sunny island in this part of the world used to wave the carrots during erections.

If you vote for me, you will get upgrading works in your estate. Goodies???

Somemore in a desperate attempt to retake a certain constituency under an opposition ward, a certain Minister promised to pump in $10m or $100 million of the "people's money" (my emphasis) to have the old estate upgraded. Goodies???

The people on this island in this part of the world got short term memory or the vehicle commander forgot to slap his driver???

you have elephant memory.................but i just gave you goodie bag................must go think of how can give you somemore goodie ..................you wait ah

I see "The Pot calling the Kettle back"...

So, we should expect no goodies from them.

Do we fancy them in the first place?

Who said no LUP if you don't cast for them?

Now, paint a different story... who is flipping now?

HG.............if no vote for carrot............ask your TC to do upgrading for you ................goodie goodie no???............. [laugh]

• Praise 2

If you vote for me, you will get upgrading works in your estate. Goodies???

Somemore in a desperate attempt to retake a certain constituency under an opposition ward, a certain Minister promised to pump in $10m or $100 million of the "people's money" (my emphasis) to have the old estate upgraded. Goodies???

The promised of $100 million and Mr Sitoh won the last election and where is the $100 million carrot ?

↡ Advertisement