Fewer Motorists Feel Safe On SG Roads ?

Really ........ [sly]

CNA: Fewer motorists feel safe on roads in Singapore: survey

SINGAPORE: Compared with three years ago, fewer motorists feel safe on the roads in Singapore, a survey of more than 450 drivers showed.

In 2011, the AXA Road User Behaviour Survey found that 73 per cent of respondents perceived Singapore roads to be safe when it came to the risk of being involved in an accident. This dropped to 55 per cent this year, according to the latest survey which was released on Tuesday (June 3).

The survey, commissioned by AXA Insurance Singapore in February, found that 62 per cent of the respondents felt that driving has become, on the whole, more unsafe, compared with the previous years. An “increase of aggressive drivers” was cited as the top reason.

Although a majority of drivers believed the roads are unsafe, they also admitted to engaging in dangerous behaviour themselves, with 59 per cent of respondents citing “going through an amber light” as their most frequent behaviour.

To promote safety awareness, the AXA Drive mobile application was launched on Tuesday and can be downloaded for free from the Apple iTunes Store and Google Play Store.

It assesses one’s driving behaviour by looking into acceleration, braking and turning of the vehicle.

Link: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fewer-motorists-feel-safe/1135676.html

Every countries have their own problem and city state like SG with land mass so small, chances of accident are great. Even in big country like Russia capital, Moscow, their driving are more aggressive... [sweatdrop]

Aggressive drivers could be one of those drangerous drivers but 'weekends' drivers and foreign drivers also contribute to it. One just need to drive along Jalan Boon Lay in both direction can see a lot of bangala or Indian drivers speeding with their lorries on 1st lane... [grin]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think its the same la ; just that these days there are more in car cams and roadside CCTVs ; plus youtube and stomp ; hence we feel that its more unsafe .

• Praise 2

Supercharged

I do acknowledged Singaporean driving habit is not good. Take example china, car cut in and out , honk like crazy and no signal but they take it like a pinch of salt. They don't point middle finger, they don't purposely jam brake or get into fight. This has to do with our personality. Not sure if it is because we are being suppress too much and too pressurised that a slight trigger like on the road, that we create a big fuss.

• Praise 8

Supercharged

The survey, commissioned by AXA Insurance Singapore in February, found that 62 per cent of the respondents felt that driving has become, on the whole, more unsafe, compared with the previous years. An “increase of aggressive drivers” was cited as the top reason.

Maybe the situation may be better if we have more female drivers on the road.....yes/no ?! [:/]

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Compounded problems with influx of FTs that drive cars as if they own the roads, and with total disregard to singaporeans.

Approving of foreign driving licences, ensures FWs driving trucks and lorries with their suspected driving habits, endangering their passengers.

Reasons: we just let in too many ppl, without crowd control.

And will worsen when 6.9 mil ppl, including the above said, hit us !

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

It was shit, now it's shittier with the influx of foreigners.

You can go to the TP office at any driving centre, especially after the basic theory test timings, and see the number of foreigners waiting for their turn to apply for license conversion. This has been going on for years already.

Add this bunch of drivers (both commercial and private) who are unfamiliar with our roads/driving habits to the already shit inconsiderate Singaporean drivers/motorcyclist and you have an awesome rojak. Then sprinkle some Malaysian cars and bikes on top for garnish.

So where last time we had to deal with a blur Singaporean aunty (with her big hat, oversized sunglasses and long gloves) in her Mercedes who had no idea what she was doing or where she was going, we now have to deal her and her even more blur aunty friends from India and China in their respective Range Rovers and BMWs, all happily motoring around (yeah I know stereotypes).

Also throw in the tour de francers on their little carbon pushbikes and large entitlement complexes.

Only the shittiness of the taxi drivers has remained constant.

• Praise 2

Aggressive drivers could be one of those drangerous drivers but 'weekends' drivers and foreign drivers also contribute to it. One just need to drive along Jalan Boon Lay in both direction can see a lot of bangala or Indian drivers speeding with their lorries on 1st lane... [grin]

Mockngbrd will f**k the weekend plate driver !!

• Praise 2

Bring those who feel unsafe to other countries like india and china, then they know the meaning of safe driving

Can include Indonesia and Vietnam as well too.

But India and China look more challenging.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Yeah..I admit I am a bit hot headed sometimes as well...so my car is only used for work to home. On weekends I take pubic transport and my parents always say I liao lui..got car dont drive... [hur]

But having said that...waiting for buses that dont come under the hot sun is no joke.. [:/]

• Praise 4

Can include Indonesia and Vietnam as well too.

But India and China look more challenging.

Actually vietnam is a nightmare, the motorcycles macam ants surround a sugar which is you

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Good time to invest in a workshop repairing accident cars.

The way people drive sure to make a lot of money.

:D

• Praise 2

Probably many reasons for that, but I think inflated car prices doesn't help either.

A lot of people think just because they pay hundreds of thousands then they are king of the road. To them money = entitlement. Same kind of attitude with those chow kuan customers who mistreat service staff.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

I think its because in-car cameras are getting more common. In the past the only way you can know how reckless people are is through your own experience on the roads. But now these kind of videos are shown everywhere so even not on the roads you also see these kind of reckless behaviour so you feel that there are more reckless drivers now.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Sort of agree, nowadays driving on sg roads really stressful and don't feel safe. Many times even i am careful but due to other drivers careless and reckless driving, i might involve in an accident for nothing.

The main reason for aggressive driving is due to the inconsiderate driving of some cuckoo drivers ,driving at extreme right lane at slow speed and never give way to the approaching vehicle which is much faster than him/her.

LTA must flash on the electronic boards please keep left if you are driving slow it can really help reduce aggressive driving.

The other group is the motorbike uncles who keep centre of extream right line at slow speed.

↡ Advertisement