New Garmin 55,56,65 can not use unlocked maps?

Jhyy701

Any bro here using the new Nuvi 55,56,65? Heard that the new model Nuvi 55,56,65,66 has new protect mechanism You can not use unlocked maps.

Is this true?

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Any bro here using the new Nuvi 55,56,65? Heard that the new model Nuvi 55,56,65,66 has new protect mechanism You can not use unlocked maps.

Is this true?

If really so, i think no one will buy GPS devices anymore. anyway they are being phased out by ipads and google maps.

Would you really pay like 50 USD for a map?? [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

I am a free loader..... [laugh] will not pay for maps. I buy Lumia phone with offline map download capability and Drive+

Can use without data connection. Only missed the Japan map which is not available.

If really so, i think no one will buy GPS devices anymore. anyway they are being phased out by ipads and google maps.

Would you really pay like 50 USD for a map?? [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Supercharged

but i thought most of the current garmin models come with free lifetime download?

yes, i'm using L42, i realise the device also cannot take other source maps..

strictly garmin and partners

Supersonic

Interesting. You mean you can't use a local map say, from malfreemaps ?

Bcuz I can't find anything or anyone that says 42, 55, etc..can't use unlocked map as yet.

Supercharged

Interesting. You mean you can't use a local map say, from malfreemaps ?

Bcuz I can't find anything or anyone that says 42, 55, etc..can't use unlocked map as yet.

yeah.. i tried to download and run it but the device just hang.

i only came to know when i bring the unit to service centre that it was unsuitable to run other source of map..

i don't know if its my unit or what..

as of now, i can only use garmin default map..

still ok lah, just don't have the latest postal code which helps me travelling around

actually i quite sick of garmin products, i don't find them that reliable..

this is the 3rd unit that i have been using, 205w, 1350, L42..

I still have 1350 in my car as dead weight, just in case. But, not very reliable also 'cos sometimes cannot switch on. [laugh]

i only came to know when i bring the unit to service centre that it was unsuitable to run other source of map..

still ok lah, just don't have the latest postal code which helps me travelling around

Hypersonic

thats true. my gps in car is a white elephant now.

mostly use my phone google map to navigate. fast accurate and up to date.

no horse run

i don't use anything in singapore generally unless If really need then i use google map on my phone when going industrial estates and such. Rest, i look at streetdirectory online and plan my route.

Sort of a memory training exercise for me.

Overseas then i use my garmin. Too lazy to go download the map sections in google map for offline usage.

Supersonic

Could also be other problem.

If you use malfreemaps to create a map, it would be a gmapsupp.img file.

The usual advice is to move this file into SD card in the correct directory, so that in case anything happens, it don't corrupt the Nuvi internal memory.

And next, you have to disable default or any extra maps present which contains the same countries.

Bcuz this will confuse Nuvi with similar but slightly different coordinates or map shift.

I can't speak about L42, but I have a 350 and 1490.

I've been using and upgrading the maps countless times and hasn't seen a problem which is not fixable.

Hypersonic

Mine is the 2565. Honestly i've used it only in NZ, once when i went JB and maybe 2 times in SG when i was going some industrial estate since i bot it 3 yrs ago. Lol.

But i've loaned it to my family members going overseas haha

Supercharged

I still have 1350 in my car as dead weight, just in case. But, not very reliable also 'cos sometimes cannot switch on. [laugh]

1350 is actually a very good unit, satellite searching is fast unlike L42..

cannot on, is a common problem, you need to press and hold for a while.. sometime it's the battery..

if not for my blunder.. i killed it by closing my door.. causing a cracked screen..

and it would cost me around $100 to replace it..

hence i got L42...

Could also be other problem.

If you use malfreemaps to create a map, it would be a gmapsupp.img file.

The usual advice is to move this file into SD card in the correct directory, so that in case anything happens, it don't corrupt the Nuvi internal memory.

And next, you have to disable default or any extra maps present which contains the same countries.

Bcuz this will confuse Nuvi with similar but slightly different coordinates or map shift.

I can't speak about L42, but I have a 350 and 1490.

I've been using and upgrading the maps countless times and hasn't seen a problem which is not fixable.

yeah, too profound for a non savvy me..

the new interface, you can't do postal code search in non garmin map.

last time, you can go POI, enter postal..

anyway i am a road idiot.. everywhere i go, i must use GPS..

i am very dependent on it, i like to plan my route before i travel..

I hate those scenarios whereby you keep going in circles to search on that particular place..

Sometimes it's as easy as changing the file extention. I used to do that on my navigation app. Download from malfreemap, change the file extension(Google if you dunno how), use ifunbox to copy paste & update map.

Now I dun bother. Coz using Waze for real time traffic, ambush location, static cam location. Much more useful dan my HU navigation.

(edited)

but i thought most of the current garmin models come with free lifetime download?

Yes, the local maps are lifetime download, but I'm concern for the overseas maps for road trips which we are not entitled to lifetime download.

I'm wanted to get the Nuvi 55LM, may be I should reconsider.

Edited by Jhyy701

Hypersonic

Yes, the local maps are lifetime download, but I'm concern for the overseas maps for road trips which we are not entitled to lifetime download.

I'm wanted to get the Nuvi 55LM, may be I should reconsider.

Lol i remember i have all the major continent maps somewhere on my hdd.

EU, USA/Canada, OZ/NZ.

Maybe japan don't have lol.

↡ Advertisement