New Garmin 55,56,65 can not use unlocked maps?

Jhyy701

Lol i remember i have all the major continent maps somewhere on my hdd.

EU, USA/Canada, OZ/NZ.

Maybe japan don't have lol.

I've all the maps too but don't have a 55LM to test the compatibility. So far, no issues with 1460 and 2565.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Any bro here using the new Nuvi 55,56,65? Heard that the new model Nuvi 55,56,65,66 has new protect mechanism You can not use unlocked maps.

Is this true?

Where you heard from ?

Any links ?

Supercharged

did you guys try Ulmon City maps 2Go?

its an offline map apps whereby you no need any data.

and it has world maps. you just need to download the maps of the countries that you be going.

files are quite huge, so if you at home, using wifi, it's much advisable.

Supercharged

did you guys try Ulmon City maps 2Go

this can search for address then navigate?

Supercharged

this can search for address then navigate?

Yeah, just on your hp gps. No data required. I download it when free, if not, it should be a few dollars

Yeah, just on your hp gps. No data required. I download it when free, if not, it should be a few dollars

City Maps 2GO is not routable right? How do you use it to navigate other than just knowing your current location?

Supercharged

City Maps 2GO is not routable right? How do you use it to navigate other than just knowing your current location?

that's what i thought, coz only can find street/landmark and doesn't seem to have any option to nagivate.

thats true. my gps in car is a white elephant now.

mostly use my phone google map to navigate. fast accurate and up to date.

no horse run

Agree! user friendly. [thumbsup]

Yes it is true. I recently bought Garmin LM55 for $179/- I installed my downloaded Australia NT map and my Garmin worked fine. After I connected my GPS to the computer, Garmin said there is a new firmware available. I was stupid and download and installed it. After this all my downloaded map where reported corrupted and I had to remove my micro-sd card.

That is why I now am using a US GPS from Amazon and I don't connect it to Garmin site.

Don't upgrade firmware. Don't connect to computer! My new LM55 could read downloaded maps, but once I connected to my PC, I was prompted to download new firm ware. After installation all my downloaded maps cannot be used.

It seems that Garmin is putting in "security" in these new devices not to work with maps that are originally locked and you unlocked them.

If you use MFM map that is not locked at all, it should work from what I gather.

Just another cat and mouse game, but peese off those who need to use certain maps and create other problems for genuine users.

If really so, i think no one will buy GPS devices anymore. anyway they are being phased out by ipads and google maps.

Would you really pay like 50 USD for a map?? [sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

google maps some times cannot get the correct postal code etc..

i find GPS devices still easier and more accurate when pin point the destination you want to go..

having said that, my GPS also become paper weight...

Garmin and friends have to buck up lah.. those TMC GPS costs a few hundreds where google map is available for free..

downside is googlemap cannot use overseas... unless got data..

Edited by Knoobie

google maps some times cannot get the correct postal code etc..

i find GPS devices still easier and more accurate when pin point the destination you want to go..

having said that, my GPS also become paper weight...

Garmin and friends have to buck up lah.. those TMC GPS costs a few hundreds where google map is available for free..

downside is googlemap cannot use overseas... unless got data..

eh data sim cards are getting cheaper and cheaper due to competition and the demand for them.

I'm going australia. it's just 2 aud dollar per day?

I still have my garmin which i lend to my family and use myself for overseas use (yes using downloaded maps). I don't even use GPS in Singapore. At most i use street directory map or google maps when i'm driving in SG.

It's very likely i won't buy another GPS device in my lifetime. And the only reason i will consider buying another one is if maps are bloody free!

eh data sim cards are getting cheaper and cheaper due to competition and the demand for them.

I still have my garmin which i lend to my family and use myself for overseas use (yes using downloaded maps). I don't even use GPS in Singapore. At most i use street directory map or google maps when i'm driving in SG.

It's very likely i won't buy another GPS device in my lifetime. And the only reason i will consider buying another one is if maps are bloody free!

The trouble of changing SIM Card out turns me off. I also prefer to stay contactable at all times.

Bringing extra phone becomes a burden especially when you're travelling..

I see many GPS company start to develop maps for smartphones but charge subscriptions for it. End of the day, jin bo hua..

I wouldn't mind to get a 64GB phone just to cache the entire Google Maps and perform incremental updates whenever I am connected to WIFI. Since I don't take much photos, music or whatsoever..

Unfortunately, Google doesn't seems interested in that.. [smallcry]

just download & use Navfree...tried and tested in Australia...

Neutral Newbie

I have a Nuvi 57LM firmware 4.6 that I just unlocked and everything is working.

It seems that Garmin is putting in "security" in these new devices not to work with maps that are originally locked and you unlocked them.

If you use MFM map that is not locked at all, it should work from what I gather.

Just another cat and mouse game, but peese off those who need to use certain maps and create other problems for genuine users.

There's already a tools in the internet that you can download to unlocked all the new Nuvi that has a firmware protection. 

Any bro here using the new Nuvi 55,56,65? Heard that the new model Nuvi 55,56,65,66 has new protect mechanism You can not use unlocked maps. 

Is this true?

Yes I am using a Nuvi 57LM Firmware 4.6 and  I can used unlocked map.

↡ Advertisement