Toyota Regains No. 1 in Singapore

yo2020

Definitely lower. For Toyota, I think they like to show you the full price, and then include the CEVs rebate, old Toyota owner loyalty discount, in-house financing discount, in-house insurance discount, current stock clearance discount etc etc, which eventually lowers the price by about 10 to 20k, depending on which model you get. I am aware because I purchased my Auris at nearly 30k off the listed price.

If you ask me, it's simple behavioural economics. If I look at your price online and I am not detered by it by turning up at your show room, it means it's within my reservation price. Throw in a substantial discount at about 10 to 20k , or more, the deal becomes even sweeter and more pple - even if they didn't initially want to buy - will be tempted to do so.

I'm not sure if all ADs or PIs do this, but it's a rather nifty trick that practised almost everywhere today.

It works the other way as well right? See the price so high, get turned off n don't even consider so how to lure to showroom n give discount? I for one didn't know they do this so nvr considered Toyota based on the high price on their official price list.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

It works the other way as well right? See the price so high, get turned off n don't even consider so how to lure to showroom n give discount? I for one didn't know they do this so nvr considered Toyota based on the high price on their official price list.

Definitely.

But then which is the kind of clients Toyota want to attract? Those who can afford to sign on the dotted line without much thought, or those who can't?

Perhaps another way of looking at it is that Toyota knows that their brand is well-recognised in Singapore and has a strong reputation for reliability etc, that it knows it can command a premium optically. Other brands like VW, or to some extent Nissan, who are trying to establish themselves more firmly in the market may instead choose to be transparent up front in order to attract clients, who would otherwise not consider them. As a business strategy, it clearly works for Toyota. Of course, at the end of the day, their cars really need to be reliable. In the late 90s everyone was condemning Toyota for producing their cars in Thailand; today, many of us would happily take a Thai-made Altis or Vios, which has proven their reliability over several iterations. Toyota delivers on this aspect relatively better than other brands, which is many choose to go back or choose it as a first car.

PS: Regardless of whether one can afford to sign on the dotted line without much thought or not, I think anyone buying a car should know how to argue for discounts, freebies and complementary services. The margin ADs and PIs make can be really big.

Frankly speaking, I like this new Altis. But equipment spec still lose to my 2+ year old 1.6L kimchi car.

Honda got new Accord.

Nissan got new Syphilis and Teh-neh.

Think the only 1.6l kimchi car that equipment spec can on par with altis should be elantra and k3.

Think the only 1.6l kimchi car that equipment spec can on par with altis should be elantra and k3.

Not too sure about the facelifted elantra, but the current K3 SX variant is definitely more well equipped than the altis, and by quite a fair bit as well.

• Praise 2

Not too sure about the facelifted elantra, but the current K3 SX variant is definitely more well equipped than the altis, and by quite a fair bit as well.

please list the figures for sharing.

2mo80sm.png

wow... two changes in position.

Nissan, with its best sales month of the year, overtakes Audi.

Honda, with another good sales month, overtakes Hyundai.

Toyota extended the lead with its best sales month of the year.

As the COE quota increasing, Japanese models start to make up lost market, but unfortuntely Honda amd Nissan don't have attractive models in market right now, especially the disappointed Civic seriously hold the Honda overall figure back,

although Toyota consistently stay at top position, but if segragate Lexus (about 1/3 of Toyota figure) out from toyota, it will be behind of Merc and BMW

Edited by Quantum

<snip>although Toyota consistently stay at top position, but if segragate Lexus (about 1/3 of Toyota figure) out from toyota, it will be behind of Merc and BMW

Hi, where did you get the 1/3 from? Does not look like they sell that many Lexus.

lol... i meant features.

just at the top of my head, K3 has rear aircon, cruise control, ventilated seats which I don't think any other Jap/Korean 1.6l car has (I stand corrected though)

• Praise 4

just at the top of my head, K3 has rear aircon, cruise control, ventilated seats which I don't think any other Jap/Korean 1.6l car has (I stand corrected though)

I think only the Nissan Sylphy has rear aircon vents in the 1.6 l segment with the K3. About features, you can add memory seats as well.

The specs are really hard to fight la. If not for the traditionally heavier fuel consumption of Kias and Hyundais, I must say Korean cars have improved by leaps and bounds, whether in terms of reliability or design.

2mo80sm.png

wow... two changes in position.

Nissan, with its best sales month of the year, overtakes Audi.

Honda, with another good sales month, overtakes Hyundai.

Toyota extended the lead with its best sales month of the year.

oiyid3.png

wow... so many agents hv achieved their best sales mth of the yr. total 7: Toyota, BMW, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Hyundai & Volvo.

Honda has doubled the sales as compared to the previous mth n the sales of Toyota continued to climb.

dark horse Mazda has overtook Audi as No. 6!

is VW running out of gas or bcoz of waiting for new refresh models (eg. Jetta).

• Praise 1

I'm surprised that Toyota have gained so much sales this year and so much ahead of the rest compared to the last two yrs where they were struggling in 3rd spot. What has exactly changed that make more people wanna buy a toyota compared to 2012 and 2013? COE is still quite high from what we can see...

• Praise 1

Can understand how come nissan can move up the rank due to sylphy and teana?! But what car people is buying from Honda?

Can understand how come nissan can move up the rank due to sylphy and teana?! But what car people is buying from Honda?

Vezel.

This car attracts a lot of interest from what I can see. Many people talking about it.

I'm surprised that Toyota have gained so much sales this year and so much ahead of the rest compared to the last two yrs where they were struggling in 3rd spot. What has exactly changed that make more people wanna buy a toyota compared to 2012 and 2013? COE is still quite high from what we can see...

well, we do hv a lot more quota since May this yr n it is a lot of difference betw $90k COE n $65k COE.

well, we do hv a lot more quota since May this yr n it is a lot of difference betw $90k COE n $65k COE.

I only wish they could separate out the sales of Lexus from Toyota when reporting the figures. Curious to see out of those figures, how many actually consists of Lexus sales?

↡ Advertisement