Property in Johor

nazerath

Supercharged

Imo if u like just buy. Esp if want to retire there

Noob question guys, thot Singaporean not allowed to buy if they own a hdb in sg....

Twincharged

Nearly bought 2 yrs back.. then saw the Iskandar development plan and map..many area still empty.

At the price of that terrace or bungalow, already priced out of reach from many locals..which means they are only able to target foreigners.

The education, medical and financial hub is still in it's infancy.. we don't even know the determination from boleh gov to see it through and make it a success.

If they will, it may take the next 10 years or more, and again with the large land mass, price may not be able to appreciate much.

And if they don't... good luck..

Speculative hit and run, maybe possible, but I was not willing to take the risk then.

my personal take without vested interest

unlike many other parts of Malaysia, I feel JB is relative safe in terms of property investment. The close proximity to Singapore, Singapore companies investing and setting up shop there including hospitals, their Sultan has a huge stake in many of the property developments and JB is fairly independent minded compare to other states with regards to politics and like Penang there are more Chinese people. 

Unfortunately, there is always a wild card but nobody knows the future eg whether BN will win the majority at the next election. Or the relationship between Singapore and Malaysia. The amount of foreign investment into Malaysia is frightening so much so that Singapore authorities are opening up their eyes and now realized that they cannot take things for granted or rely on past quanxi after we were left behind in China's One belt .......

• Praise 2

bro, compare to robert kuok ... you are 1 level poorer only ... lol

I poor, fat and ugly, they still want har? Market so bad nowadays lol

• Praise 1

Only the reverse is true. If you own a Johor residential property (or any residential property internationally including SG), you cannot buy HDB.

Noob question guys, thot Singaporean not allowed to buy if they own a hdb in sg....

Worth to buy an apartment in Melaka?  For staying/ retirement in Malaysia.

Overvalue now.

Especially with target customer from PRC.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Only the reverse is true. If you own a Johor residential property (or any residential property internationally including SG), you cannot buy HDB.

thanks ...

This policy should be scrapped long time ago.....just don't make sense.  [smash]

Imagine someone with 100 international properties, come to SG becomes PR then buys a HDB. Any issue?

This policy should be scrapped long time ago.....just don't make sense.  [smash]

First of all, I have to apologize for jumping into the assumption that no one has actually bought an unit in Johor Bahru which will then render my post redundant. (In a way, admitting that I did not read from post 1 to the end)

Secondly, I do apologize for the lengthy post as I feel it might be beneficial to share my personal experience.

I am one who have taken the plunge back in 2015. It was a casual JB weekend shopping with my wife and we were approached by a keen salesman at the KSL Property booth. After 45mins of listening to him, we made the unthinkable decision to buy a 3 bedder. Don't ask me why we made such a hasty decision, perhaps the lure of having a condo with facilities at a fraction of what my HDB costs was just too tempting at that time.

The ironic part is when we were departing JB coming back to Singapore, then both of us started to panic and wonder if we were too impulsive. I did my sum and assuming if I remained employed, I should be able to afford the impulsive purchase. We were kinda of leaving the divine to decide as we might not get the loan also.

2 weeks later, surprisingly, our loan was approved and we were asked to go down to sign the SPA (Sales and Purchase Agreement), now this is getting serious. We had a talk over dinner and decided to go ahead and do 1 stupid thing at least. So we secured the unit.

Destiny always has her way I reckon, several months later, suddenly my wife and my mom decided they do not see eye to eye and a storm was brewing. I also feel it is definitely tough for my wife to stay in Singapore further as she is a Malaysian with PR status in Singapore. However she is not highly educated. Therefore, it was really hard for her to secure good payment employment in Singapore. Both of us decided to go ahead to move into JB and attempt to check out lifestyle in JB before our unit TOP in 2018.

2 weeks later, we actually rented a terrace house and within 3 days, we actually moved into JB. Again another impulsive and decision without much thought thru. But hey, life is more interesting this way I feel.

I still vividly remember my first night in a terrace house doing "guard duty" as I heard far too many horror stories about JB on how people can climb over your gate and rob you at knife point plus force you to watch while they raped your wife. I was determined to stay vigilant (cannot remember I was that "garang" during NSF days even). Touchwood, nothing happened.

Very fast, a week of annual leave passed and I have to go back to work (in Singapore). I remembered waking up at 2am to prepare myself for work and for the next 3 days, I almost gave up every time I arrived at customs (woodlands or tuas) only to be turned off by the sheer volume of the jam.

Surprisingly, on the 4th days, I seems to take all this in nicely like a man, I stopped grumbling to my wife when I was home. Somehow, I look forward to Saturday and Sunday plus Public Holiday in JB. I kinda of realized that I am willing to give up my convenience for 5 days in exchange for quality lifestyle for 2 days.

I always shared this statement when friends asking me how is my JB life. I told them it is not meant for everybody. There are a lot of sacrifices to make and your desire to "become a Malaysian" must be strong. Then you will enjoy. One good example is how I managed to make friends within the neighborhood in my 1st month staying in JB while I yet to know my next door neighbor of 13 years in Singapore.

Fast forward 2.5 years, I have already gotten used to staying in JB, I still do have my HDB in Singapore which I stayed overnight if I worked too late, however I just cannot seem to sleep in HDB anymore. The entire place just seem so cold but yet noisy. 

Most importantly, i have realized, these 2.5 years, I hardly have any true bloodied Singaporeans as neighbors, my HDB block is filled with PRC, Filippino, Indians and Ang Mo..... Apparently, I find myself happier in Malaysia with my neighbors speaking in Mandarin thick with "Lian Bang Ying" (Malaysia Accent).

• Praise 4

(edited)

i have read so many blogs that AMDK like to live in Iskandar 5000sqft bungalow with swimming pool

children study in iskandar international school ... chip chip wor

wife stay home read swim do work online and pick up children ... 100% soccer mum and amdk lifestyle

dad come to spore to work ... and some drive porky to cbd [thumbsup]

Edited by Wt_know

Supercharged

First of all, I have to apologize for jumping into the assumption that no one has actually bought an unit in Johor Bahru which will then render my post redundant. (In a way, admitting that I did not read from post 1 to the end)

Secondly, I do apologize for the lengthy post as I feel it might be beneficial to share my personal experience.

I am one who have taken the plunge back in 2015. It was a casual JB weekend shopping with my wife and we were approached by a keen salesman at the KSL Property booth. After 45mins of listening to him, we made the unthinkable decision to buy a 3 bedder. Don't ask me why we made such a hasty decision, perhaps the lure of having a condo with facilities at a fraction of what my HDB costs was just too tempting at that time.

The ironic part is when we were departing JB coming back to Singapore, then both of us started to panic and wonder if we were too impulsive. I did my sum and assuming if I remained employed, I should be able to afford the impulsive purchase. We were kinda of leaving the divine to decide as we might not get the loan also.

2 weeks later, surprisingly, our loan was approved and we were asked to go down to sign the SPA (Sales and Purchase Agreement), now this is getting serious. We had a talk over dinner and decided to go ahead and do 1 stupid thing at least. So we secured the unit.

Destiny always has her way I reckon, several months later, suddenly my wife and my mom decided they do not see eye to eye and a storm was brewing. I also feel it is definitely tough for my wife to stay in Singapore further as she is a Malaysian with PR status in Singapore. However she is not highly educated. Therefore, it was really hard for her to secure good payment employment in Singapore. Both of us decided to go ahead to move into JB and attempt to check out lifestyle in JB before our unit TOP in 2018.

2 weeks later, we actually rented a terrace house and within 3 days, we actually moved into JB. Again another impulsive and decision without much thought thru. But hey, life is more interesting this way I feel.

I still vividly remember my first night in a terrace house doing "guard duty" as I heard far too many horror stories about JB on how people can climb over your gate and rob you at knife point plus force you to watch while they raped your wife. I was determined to stay vigilant (cannot remember I was that "garang" during NSF days even). Touchwood, nothing happened.

Very fast, a week of annual leave passed and I have to go back to work (in Singapore). I remembered waking up at 2am to prepare myself for work and for the next 3 days, I almost gave up every time I arrived at customs (woodlands or tuas) only to be turned off by the sheer volume of the jam.

Surprisingly, on the 4th days, I seems to take all this in nicely like a man, I stopped grumbling to my wife when I was home. Somehow, I look forward to Saturday and Sunday plus Public Holiday in JB. I kinda of realized that I am willing to give up my convenience for 5 days in exchange for quality lifestyle for 2 days.

I always shared this statement when friends asking me how is my JB life. I told them it is not meant for everybody. There are a lot of sacrifices to make and your desire to "become a Malaysian" must be strong. Then you will enjoy. One good example is how I managed to make friends within the neighborhood in my 1st month staying in JB while I yet to know my next door neighbor of 13 years in Singapore.

Fast forward 2.5 years, I have already gotten used to staying in JB, I still do have my HDB in Singapore which I stayed overnight if I worked too late, however I just cannot seem to sleep in HDB anymore. The entire place just seem so cold but yet noisy. 

Most importantly, i have realized, these 2.5 years, I hardly have any true bloodied Singaporeans as neighbors, my HDB block is filled with PRC, Filippino, Indians and Ang Mo..... Apparently, I find myself happier in Malaysia with my neighbors speaking in Mandarin thick with "Lian Bang Ying" (Malaysia Accent).

you never clearly explain what happened to the 3-bedder you all bought?  is it the one you staying now after your rented terrace house?

you never clearly explain what happened to the 3-bedder you all bought?  is it the one you staying now after your rented terrace house?

Sorry for missing that out, expected VP (Vacant Possession) or take key in April only.

Likelihood will move into the 3 bedder as I kinda of swing towards having gym and swimming pools within the development.

Unlike Singapore, to locate a economical gym and public swimming pools is really tough in JB.

Supercharged
(edited)

Imagine someone with 100 international properties, come to SG becomes PR then buys a HDB. Any issue?

he have to sell all 100 properties then only can buy hddeebbbee.....

then again, if he can afford 100 properties, why look at hdbbb? hahaha

dunno who came up with this policy...those who buys hdb are either citizens or PR....

Edited by Spidey10

may the force be with you when you collect key ... keep calm aye ... [laugh]

Sorry for missing that out, expected VP (Vacant Possession) or take key in April only.

may the force be with you when you collect key ... keep calm aye ... [laugh]

I get that remarks pretty often, trust me, I am mentally prepared to accept quality of sloppy work given I am paying less than what a 3 room flat cost. Why should I expect a SGD Million dollar quality finish?

It is always about aligning your expectation and reality.

Look at the recent Punggol and Sengkang Tiles Eruption cases. Paying 200-400k SGD does not also guarantee you quality finish.

For me, it is just having a roof over the head in a foreign country I choose to call home.

However, a couple of comments do make sense to those who intend to shift over and enjoy 1:3 exchange rate. That is if you are buying property for your own stay. You can look around slowly. 2018-2019 going to be slow for developers as based on statistics captured, There are approximately around 80k new units coming out of the pipeline. Buying sentiment is lukewarm now as there are still many uncertainties in Malaysia, Government is one of the main factors. They can never seem to make up their mind and are still so ever keen to use racism as their chips on gaining political points.

Having said that, looking at Singapore government recent action plans, I will not say they have well thought out plans as well. 30% increase in water tariff, proposed 9% GST, Travelling out of Singapore Airport Tariff and etc. Does not seem like our politicians are Million Dollar Package Deal nowadays as well:)

Supersonic

Likelihood will move into the 3 bedder as I kinda of swing towards having gym and swimming pools within the development.

Unlike Singapore, to locate a economical gym and public swimming pools is really tough in JB.

Thanks for sharing.

You should rent out your hdb instead of leaving it empty.

↡ Advertisement