Human Robots that will haunt your nightmares

Kho

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-25%20at%206.09.1

Meet Otonaroid and Kodomoroid, two eerily lifelike robots who can read fluently, recite tongue twisters, blink, move and twitch their eyebrows (natch).

Japanese android expert Hiroshi Ishiguro unveiled the female cyborgs on Tuesday at the National Museum of Merging Science and Innovation. The two will be on display at the Museum for visitors to interact with.

Ishiguro’s robotics are the latest confirmation of the uncanny valley hypothesis, which posits that humans find discomfort when robotic and animated humans approach a natural human appearance.

With Softbank’s commercialization of robots, Ishiguro—who’s previously designed his own doppelgänger robots—hopes that robots will soon become a part of everyday life in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyl72Re5110

News reporters going to lose jobs soon? Scary sia... :blink:

Source: http://therealsingapore.com/content/these-human-robots-will-haunt-your-nightmares

↡ Advertisement

Screen%20Shot%202014-06-25%20at%206.09.1

Meet Otonaroid and Kodomoroid, two eerily lifelike robots who can read fluently, recite tongue twisters, blink, move and twitch their eyebrows (natch).

Japanese android expert Hiroshi Ishiguro unveiled the female cyborgs on Tuesday at the National Museum of Merging Science and Innovation. The two will be on display at the Museum for visitors to interact with.

Ishiguro’s robotics are the latest confirmation of the uncanny valley hypothesis, which posits that humans find discomfort when robotic and animated humans approach a natural human appearance.

With Softbank’s commercialization of robots, Ishiguro—who’s previously designed his own doppelgänger robots—hopes that robots will soon become a part of everyday life in Japan.

Source: http://therealsingapore.com/content/these-human-robots-will-haunt-your-nightmares

Kind of scare me with her eyes :D

Thank you very much, I have 1 woman at home, enough "trouble" liao, don't want extra woman -> more trouble :D

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

The robots look life-like but freak us out is an effect that, in robotics research, is known as the "uncanny valley".

The idea is that functional purpose-built robots, e.g. factory automation 'bots, that look nothing like human, will be acceptable to us. So, too, will robots that are 100% sooo realistic that they are indistinguishable from humans.

But before reaching that 100% perfect state, there's this "nearly there" stage, where the robots are already quite life-like, yet still we can detect some lifelessness in them, e.g. eyes without soul behind them, and this surprisingly creeps us out.

Well, knowing the japs, it'd probably be used first for some hentai AV purpose! [laugh]

That's why they chose not to build any hairy male robots...

Japanese android expert Hiroshi Ishiguro unveiled the female cyborgs

Arggh!! I hate it when supposedly technical writers make this sort of glaring error. They are androids not cyborgs. To qualify as a cyborg there has to be a mixture of inorganic and living elements.

(edited)

Like, Robocop is cyborg, but Terminator is android?

Pretty much, but the case of the Terminator is controversial. Long, geeky post follows. [laugh]

The Terminator Model 101 series 800 (the Arnie one) was often labelled a cyborg by the show's characters (and even the Terminator itself). But I feel that living tissue alone does not really qualify to make a cyborg. A cyborg is supposed to be a cybernetically-enhanced organism, which means at the very least, the brain must remain organic (even if it also has cybernetic orthoses to enhance its functioning and to communicate with the inorganic parts). On that basis, the only true cyborg in the entire Terminator series would be the resurrected death-row inmate guy in Terminator Salvation.

Based on the film canon alone, there is insufficient evidence to support the assertion that the 800 series were true cyborgs. However, there is a film script that some people have cited that states that the 800 series had many organic parts - apart from the skin, the lining of the mouth, etc. were all human-origin. Plus there were tiny organs in a protected compartment in the body shell that had the sole purpose of supporting the organic components. This bit didn't actually make it into the film, so it's really non-canonical. However, even if this the case, there is no mention of a human brain or organic nervous system. There are neural-type electrical connections to the living tegument (skin) as evidenced by T2 where Arnie's "cyborg" states: "I sense injuries. The data could be called pain."

But I still don't think all these suffice to label the 800 series "cyborgs" because the intent behind the term is to imply the enhancement of a whole organism by mechanical/electromechanical orthoses. (Technically, amputees with advanced prostheses and those wearing Google Glasses already meet the basic "cyborg" definition). In this case, it's more like organic tissue (without "will" or volition of its own) is the one enhancing the robotic structure, namely by providing better camouflage to allow the 800 series to infiltrate human hideouts (in the future) and human society (in the past, on it's kill mission). Judging by this, I'd say the 800 series is still just an android (because it looks and sounds human), albeit with organic components.

The liquid metal Terminators (the T-1000 and the T-X) were definitely not cyborgs at all. But they were definitely androids. If you really wanted to split hairs, the T-X would be a "gynoid", like the robots that started this thread.

Robocop is a true cyborg. The essence of the man is still there, and the cybernetic enhancements simply enhance his function.

The Borg are (is? since it's a collective and all) traditionally considered to be cyborgs. But I also find this a troubling usage, since they seem to lack free will of their own. Nevertheless, they're much more qualified to be cyborgs (as they have an intact nervous system, even if it's being overridden) than any Terminator except the Salvation guy, as I mentioned.

Sorry for the geek out. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

Hmmmmm........ can set the different pressures for blowing ... -_-

Soft blow

medium blow

hard blow

heavy blow ..... [grin]

[laugh][laugh]

I f**king blow to your face by that thing will KO you ................. [laugh] [laugh]

Hmmmmm........ can set the different pressures for blowing ... -_-

Soft blow

medium blow

hard blow

heavy blow ..... [grin]

[laugh][laugh]

You never check got Teeth or not ... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement