De-register Car vs Sell my car to Dealer

Whywhy68

Neutral Newbie

my COE is ending in March 2016..

So shld i de-register my car or sell my car to dealer? Which one is more worth ?

Current paper value : $15k

if i sell my car to dealer, will they buy back at the paper value or higher than that ?

Please help advice as this is my time first changing to another car..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

just drive to the end lah.

you sell to dealer, those blood suckers also probably offer you paper +few hundred for body nia.

you just see similar car on sgcarmart and try to sell as direct seller lor

probably got better deal

Selling to dealer should give you more money. For a Japanese bread and butter 10 year old car, the body should only fetch from a few hundred bucks to $1k, maybe more if yours is a Toyota and slightly younger.

No harm calling a dealer to ask.

Neutral Newbie

Selling to dealer should give you more money. For a Japanese bread and butter 10 year old car, the body should only fetch from a few hundred bucks to $1k, maybe more if yours is a Toyota and slightly younger.

No harm calling a dealer to ask.

you mean for example the paper value is 15k sgd based on the onemotoring website..

dealer will offer me only 16 to 17k ?

is it 100% dealer will buy my car or case by case basis

you mean for example the paper value is 15k sgd based on the onemotoring website..

dealer will offer me only 16 to 17k ?

is it 100% dealer will buy my car or case by case basis

I mean, if you sell to scrap yard you will get just a little money for the body. Cars > 3 years are not exported but sold for parts, based on what a scrap yard operator told me.

Selling to used car dealer should fetch a higher price as they can still try to sell in resale market. The scrap yard operator even told me, "no one scraps a good condition 9 year old car because they can still be sold in resale market"

Of course, some dealers may tell you they will scrap your car and offer you peanuts. For a car with 1 year 9 months to go, people will grab the car if the depreciation is $5k a year. From what I observed, a 9 year old Jap car with annual depreciation of $5k tends to be sold very quickly once advertised.

Of course the dealer will earn a bit, so he'll offer you lower than that. Heck, I believe many here will be interested in your car if you state the make and asking price.

• Praise 1

i understand that for today market, car body no value cos too many cars are

gg to be scraped

dealers might even offer u 5% less than yr OMV

Supersonic

I mean, if you sell to scrap yard you will get just a little money for the body. Cars > 3 years are not exported but sold for parts, based on what a scrap yard operator told me.

Selling to used car dealer should fetch a higher price as they can still try to sell in resale market. The scrap yard operator even told me, "no one scraps a good condition 9 year old car because they can still be sold in resale market"

Of course, some dealers may tell you they will scrap your car and offer you peanuts. For a car with 1 year 9 months to go, people will grab the car if the depreciation is $5k a year. From what I observed, a 9 year old Jap car with annual depreciation of $5k tends to be sold very quickly once advertised.

Of course the dealer will earn a bit, so he'll offer you lower than that. Heck, I believe many here will be interested in your car if you state the make and asking price.

I guess only the current market situation, you can find cars which is already 9-10 year still sell in the resale market. Saw a few cars, coe will expire in 2015, feb-mar and yet still being sold in the resale market?! Last time don't think you are able to see such cars.

Hypersonic

Of course the dealer will earn a LOT,

Correction for you ... [grin][grin]

Speculation and guesses aside, share with u my experience on selling my ride which had 1 yr 8 months left..

Model was 2006 E90, 320i with a paper value of around 25K. Body value of my car is not v high, around 1 to 2k.

Sgcarmart prices were around 38~39k for 2006 feb 320i.

My car was in decent internal shape but externally quite cui, even for a 8yr car.

Sold to dealer at around 33.2k. I had private buyers offering around 35k but could not find the time to meet them.

If your car model is popular, can fetch a few K above paper plus scrap value. Perhaps u should share the details. Who knows someone here might want to buy your car for a much better price than what you can get at a dealer.

Speculation and guesses aside, share with u my experience on selling my ride which had 1 yr 8 months left..

Model was 2006 E90, 320i with a paper value of around 25K. Body value of my car is not v high, around 1 to 2k.

Sgcarmart prices were around 38~39k for 2006 feb 320i.

My car was in decent internal shape but externally quite cui, even for a 8yr car.

Sold to dealer at around 33.2k. I had private buyers offering around 35k but could not find the time to meet them.

If your car model is popular, can fetch a few K above paper plus scrap value. Perhaps u should share the details. Who knows someone here might want to buy your car for a much better price than what you can get at a dealer.

Not a bad deal for the car dealer- change hand can make profit of 5-6K . assuming he can sell to someone otherwise sold at cost or loss.

Supercharged

Sorry for the OT but...could someone advise: What is paper value and body value of a car?

Sorry for the OT but...could someone advise: What is paper value and body value of a car?

Paper value is the value you get from LTA if you scrap the car now. It is based on OMV and number of years/months of COE left.

Body depends on car and condition and demand

Supercharged

Paper value is the value you get from LTA if you scrap the car now. It is based on OMV and number of years/months of COE left.

Body depends on car and condition and demand

Got it. Thanks! [:)]

i understand that for today market, car body no value cos too many cars are

gg to be scraped

dealers might even offer u 5% less than yr OMV

I'm not surprised. I guess those victims find it more convenient to do through the dealers instead of driving to the scrapyard themselves

my car only 7 years old but want to change to a bigger car.

It is an unpopular brand so i guess the body value will be low. Furthermore externally got some scratches and there are wear & tear items that are due for change/repair.

Any dealer willing to take in such car with below average condition?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1