What brake pad U choose for your car? Cheap? Good? Genuine ?

Ahbao999

Jack stands are quite cheap nowadays, I saw hardware shops around Sungei Road selling it, I reckoned should be less than $50 a pair

Safety first, especially if you are working alone

Try Ezbuy - dirt cheap!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Using this thread to share my experience and recommendation of a good brake pad that i recently changed into that were very dustless and have good braking performance at the same time. I have used several aftermarket pads before and this is the first time I am taking the efoort to write about it. I love it. --> Dixcel type M brake pads

I got it for my ap racing cp9200 callipers for front, car is a 1.6 turbo car. The stock ap racing pads that came with the kit was extremely dusty. Typical european pads that made my te37sl rims extremely dirty after just 1 week from cleaning. So I was looking for an alternative that must be as good in braking performance and generate less dust at the same time.

I had the type M for 2 month. Did the run-in and the pads gave me the solid bite I was looking for within the first few days. 1 month later and the rims were still as clean as beginning. Really no brake dust other than the normal dirts and stuffs which is not from the brake pads. My front rims are now as clean as the rear. Much much cleaner than the ap racing pads, which I think were more metallic base. The type M are ceramic base, which is kind of surprise to me. The type M bite are more linear and don't require warm up. The ap racing pads were kind of numb before any warm up. Certainly the braking feel at low to mid speed is very good. However, I have not tested any high speed e braking, which I never did with the ap pads anyway. Low to mid speed e brake were ok, which I did when running in, with the abs kicking in often.

I got it installed for $396, not sure if this is pricey for an aftermarket pad for aftermarket callipers. A few workshops I know that carry this pad is the brake shop (my usual) and merlin.

One potential con of such dustfree pads is that it eats the rotor faster. Something has to go right? This one I cannot say cos its still early.

post-26187-0-62340400-1561969711_thumb.jpg

post-26187-0-66551500-1561969721_thumb.jpg

Side by side with the ap racing pads (APF404). Can see the ap pads still has so much dust around it. Still has meat.

post-26187-0-46955400-1561969727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Columbian78
  • Praise 1

I dont believe in cheap brake pads unless on my MIL car.

Then cheaper better.

:D

You are getting softer these days . In the past ,  U will just remove the brake pads.   :D  

• Praise 6

Supersonic

You are getting softer these days . In the past ,  U will just remove the brake pads.   :D  

...or drain the brake fluid! [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

I dont believe in cheap brake pads unless on my MIL car.

Then cheaper better.

ask her use FOOT brake like FlintStone  :yeah-im-not-drunk:  :a-toast:

On 7/1/2019 at 4:36 PM, Columbian78 said:

Using this thread to share my experience and recommendation of a good brake pad that i recently changed into that were very dustless and have good braking performance at the same time. I have used several aftermarket pads before and this is the first time I am taking the efoort to write about it. I love it. --> Dixcel type M brake pads

I got it for my ap racing cp9200 callipers for front, car is a 1.6 turbo car. The stock ap racing pads that came with the kit was extremely dusty. Typical european pads that made my te37sl rims extremely dirty after just 1 week from cleaning. So I was looking for an alternative that must be as good in braking performance and generate less dust at the same time.

I had the type M for 2 month. Did the run-in and the pads gave me the solid bite I was looking for within the first few days. 1 month later and the rims were still as clean as beginning. Really no brake dust other than the normal dirts and stuffs which is not from the brake pads. My front rims are now as clean as the rear. Much much cleaner than the ap racing pads, which I think were more metallic base. The type M are ceramic base, which is kind of surprise to me. The type M bite are more linear and don't require warm up. The ap racing pads were kind of numb before any warm up. Certainly the braking feel at low to mid speed is very good. However, I have not tested any high speed e braking, which I never did with the ap pads anyway. Low to mid speed e brake were ok, which I did when running in, with the abs kicking in often.

I got it installed for $396, not sure if this is pricey for an aftermarket pad for aftermarket callipers. A few workshops I know that carry this pad is the brake shop (my usual) and merlin.

One potential con of such dustfree pads is that it eats the rotor faster. Something has to go right? This one I cannot say cos its still early.

post-26187-0-62340400-1561969711_thumb.jpg

post-26187-0-66551500-1561969721_thumb.jpg

Side by side with the ap racing pads (APF404). Can see the ap pads still has so much dust around it. Still has meat.

post-26187-0-46955400-1561969727_thumb.jpg

All round 4 pads or just front 2?

Supercharged
47 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Changed all my pads to Akebono ceramic. Not as jiak, but no brake dust and clean rims forever! 

my experience of using ceramic pads (ATE) :-

- much less dust, obviously

- not as jiak as the original pads, felt like 70% of the original

- more progressive in braking force vs strong initial bite of the original

- super long life, front pads are 140,000km now, I reckon can go until 200,000km. original pads last about 50,000km in comparison 

- much much much less rotor wear

• Praise 1

I buy my geniune brake pads from offical Suzuki distro from TB.

Lucky for myself. My vehicle shares many similar parts with China's domestic made Suzuki Swift 1.5 model.

Cost like $30 for a pair.

Ac fliter is like $5

Wear and tear parts are seriously over priced in Singapore.

I am sure some people start new threads just for me to talk about my MIL. 

Cheap brakes thread. 

Total loss repair car thread

Doctor certify body with bruises on arms neck and chest as natural causes. 

etc etc

• Haha! 1