What brake pad U choose for your car? Cheap? Good? Genuine ?

Ahbao999

On 3/5/2020 at 9:11 AM, Volvobrick said:

Changed all my pads to Akebono ceramic. Not as jiak, but no brake dust and clean rims forever! 

i have been thinking about akebono too, my rim is very dirty because of non ceramic brakepad. Once i asked my mechanic if i should change to ceramic, he  advised me not to because it is not as jiak,   for that reason i have put  my thoughts on hold till now. but every time when i see my rim, i sigh😪

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

i have been thinking about akebono too, my rim is very dirty because of non ceramic brakepad. Once i asked my mechanic if i should change to ceramic, he  advised me not to because it is not as jiak,   for that reason i have put  my thoughts on hold till now. but every time when i see my rim, i sigh😪

My car’s brake dust also a lot until the silver rims became very dirty and difficult to wash. Thinking of changing brake pad too, but in the end change to black rims. Now is 眼不见为净. The good thing the brake is jiak. Didn’t know that brake pads with not much dust is not very jiak. 

(edited)
9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

I replaced mine with Akebono ceramic pads (bought online). 👍

No more brake dusts! Rims remain clean all the time. Day to day driving not much difference. Will never use other types of pads again.

Edited by Volvobrick

Most people use their brakes too much. 

Slight slop on highway press brake. 

Slight bend on highway press brake. 

Accelerate to the backside of a truck then press brake. 

:D

Then they wonder why so much brake dust. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Then when need to use brake don't use brake enough. 

E brake don't press hard enough. 

:D

Then wonder why they end up in a crash. 

They don't press hard enough cos worry about brake dust? 

• Haha! 4

39 minutes ago, Daniu82 said:

My car’s brake dust also a lot until the silver rims became very dirty and difficult to wash. Thinking of changing brake pad too, but in the end change to black rims. Now is 眼不见为净. The good thing the brake is jiak. Didn’t know that brake pads with not much dust is not very jiak. 

I have black rim. A few months don’t wash looks like brown wheel now

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Daniu82 said:

what's the meaning of 'jiak' in a brake pad?

Supercharged
10 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

what's the meaning of 'jiak' in a brake pad?

My thinking is you don’t need to step a lot in order to stop within a short distance. 

Just now, Daniu82 said:

My thinking is you don’t need to step a lot in order to stop within a short distance. 

Depends on car weigh and wheelbase.

Less so on brake system.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

Depends on car weigh and wheelbase.

Less so on brake system.

My Skoda Karoq now brake is more jiak than the Hyundai Elantra last time. 

1 minute ago, Daniu82 said:

My Skoda Karoq now brake is more jiak than the Hyundai Elantra last time. 

Normal.

On the same speed (less say 50km/h), Karoq may take more time to slow down (10km/h) than Elantra.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
6 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Normal.

On the same speed (less say 50km/h), Karoq may take more time to slow down (10km/h) than Elantra.

But brake dust produced is a lot more and the brake dust sticks to the rims. Dunno why. 

Just now, Daniu82 said:

But brake dust produced is a lot more and the brake dust sticks to the rims. Dunno why. 

German car usually used soft pad with hard disc.  Confirm a lot of brake dust.

My car front brake uses drilled/slot rotor with OEM pad.  Within 2 days after car wash, it is dusty AGAIN.

• Sad 1

Neutral Newbie
23 hours ago, Daniu82 said:

Jiak.. is a native language, as for vehicle terms means engagement of the brake pad with Disc in definite moment when required to brake. If required to step a lot in order to stop, there could be a few thoughts to it.. 1) brake pad worn out 2) bleeding not done properly 3) linkages distance incorrect 4) a glazing disc (highly worn out) 5) Brake pad glazing .

Neutral Newbie
On 6/11/2020 at 10:55 PM, Ct3833 said:

Your Mechanic gave you correct advice.

On 3/5/2020 at 10:06 AM, Phang said:

my experience of using ceramic pads (ATE) :-

- much less dust, obviously

- not as jiak as the original pads, felt like 70% of the original

- more progressive in braking force vs strong initial bite of the original

- super long life, front pads are 140,000km now, I reckon can go until 200,000km. original pads last about 50,000km in comparison 

- much much much less rotor wear

my car popped the "check brake wear" message this morning

the front ATE ceramic pads lasted 163,500km before giving pad wear warning

can't last until 200,000km as I mentioned earlier this year 😅

check-brake-wear.jpg

↡ Advertisement