Is front control arm critical to safety?

Jameschia26

Went to Autobacs to do a tyre rotation & balancing. The mechanic told me that there is a crack at my front control arms and suggest I change both to an OEM one for $600 incl labour.

Though I can't really tell if its cracked or not, can I check if this is a critical component to be changed? I'm driving FD1 (now about 6 yrs old). Wondering if I can use it till COE expire..

↡ Advertisement

Went to Autobacs to do a tyre rotation & balancing. The mechanic told me that there is a crack at my front control arms and suggest I change both to an OEM one for $600 incl labour.

Though I can't really tell if its cracked or not, can I check if this is a critical component to be changed? I'm driving FD1 (now about 6 yrs old). Wondering if I can use it till COE expire..

Should be front lower arm (Located at front left and right wheel discs). U can got to Fong Tat Motor (junction of Serangoon Rd / Kitchener Rd) and buy your own parts (Approx S$ 150 per pc x 2 pcs = S$ 300/-) and get your usual WS to replace it (Labor should be around S$ 50 to S$ 60/-).

Head Office (Operations & Sales)

Fong Tat Building,

No. 3 Kallang Way 2A,

Singapore 347493

T:(65) 6742 6889

For General Enquires:

E:[email protected]

Sales Outlets (Singapore)

355-357, Serangoon Road,

Singapore 218115

T:(65) 6298 5333

Blk 685, #01-324 Race Course Road,

S'pore 210685

T:(65) 6293 5722

Unless you wanna drive on 3 wheels, I suggest go and change.. 600 for both oem seems ok.. Can get cheaper from other plcs though.. Try ask stockists for a pair and get a workshop to fix it.. Should be at least cheaper.. Used to have this prob on my old lancer. Got both change @ 450 labour inclusive.

Supercharged

How did such a crack come about?

Did you drove over a edge and drop down n hit it ?

How did such a crack come about?

Did you drove over a edge and drop down n hit it ?

Eh, think its just wear and tear as I don't really drive very hard. In fact its both the front arms the mechanic claim had cracks. So need to change both.

Should be front lower arm (Located at front left and right wheel discs). U can got to Fong Tat Motor (junction of Serangoon Rd / Kitchener Rd) and buy your own parts (Approx S$ 150 per pc x 2 pcs = S$ 300/-) and get your usual WS to replace it (Labor should be around S$ 50 to S$ 60/-).

Head Office (Operations & Sales)

Fong Tat Building,

No. 3 Kallang Way 2A,

Singapore 347493

T:(65) 6742 6889

For General Enquires:

E:[email protected]

Sales Outlets (Singapore)

355-357, Serangoon Road,

Singapore 218115

T:(65) 6298 5333

Blk 685, #01-324 Race Course Road,

S'pore 210685

T:(65) 6293 5722

Thanks! Will check them out

Neutral Newbie

Prolong driving with worn/damaged control arms will result in knocking sounds when driving slow over humps or turns. Wobbly steering and premature wear of front tyres. Won't have life threatening consequences.

Actually it's the rubber bushings that are torn/crack and causing all the sounds. But SG don't really have workshops that replace the bushings. So most will tell you just replace the whole left/right arms.

As others mentioned, try buying the parts from stockists and go to outside workshops to replace, will be cheaper.

When I last changed my lower control arms, droplinks and steering tie rods, after 6 years, my car steering suddenly felt nice and firm and no more knocking sounds.

↡ Advertisement