Recommendation for spacewagon, business and private use.

Kelpie

Hi all, long time no see and no chat here.

Im looking for a spacewagon for the purpose of business and private use. It will driven by a staff most of the time.

There are not many Japanese made options out there for preowned.

There are the Honda Airwave, Toyota Fielder and Subaru Impreza Wagon.

These are small engines. So i wonder how they performed when i load in cartons boxes in them. Are their rear suspension hardy? Do they have sufficient spaces for boxes. Say, 10 to 12 mid size boxes at time. Most of the time, either left empty or 1 to 2 boxes in the boot.

Which do you recommend, value for money, less maintenance hassles, ease of access to parts and accessories?

Kindly advise me.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Can consider a used Volvo V70, one of the biggest wagons but price not too ridiculous and consumption around 9km/l, depending on your budget.

I ever transported a washing machine AND a dryer at the same time!

Just don't service at Wearnes!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

When viewing, bring some of your boxes along and drop the rear seats to get an idea on the available volume.

The rear spring rate should be slightly stiffer than then sedan versions, but I cannot confirm this. Usually can handle lah unless you're lugging very heavy stuff. At most fuel consumption goes up and more wear and tear on your drivetrain and brakes lor.

Unless I need to take back seat passengers, my wagon's rear seats are folded down all the time so that I can pretend to be RadX.

Can consider a used Volvo V70, one of the biggest wagons but price not too ridiculous and consumption around 9km/l, depending on your budget.

I ever transported a washing machine AND a dryer at the same time!

Just don't service at Wearnes!

No lah, Jap cars more easy on the pocket for maintenance. This is for company use.

Thanks.

Regards,

Any MPV also can, just knock down the 3rd row and it's an extended hatchback.

MPV usually costs more than small engine spacewagon. So it is not my option.

Thanks.

Regards,

When viewing, bring some of your boxes along and drop the rear seats to get an idea on the available volume.

The rear spring rate should be slightly stiffer than then sedan versions, but I cannot confirm this. Usually can handle lah unless you're lugging very heavy stuff. At most fuel consumption goes up and more wear and tear on your drivetrain and brakes lor.

Unless I need to take back seat passengers, my wagon's rear seats are folded down all the time so that I can pretend to be RadX.

Then, maybe you can look at Optra wagon. That's huge for a 1.6L wagon and depreciation should be one of the lowest.

No lah, Jap cars more easy on the pocket for maintenance. This is for company use.

Thanks.

Regards,

MPV usually costs more than small engine spacewagon. So it is not my option.

Thanks.

Regards,

Do you own the impreza wagon? Is it underpowered?

Thanks.

Regards,

Then, maybe you can look at Optra wagon. That's huge for a 1.6L wagon and depreciation should be one of the lowest.

Thank you for the advice. I will still stick the Japanese made.

Thanks.

Regards,

Turbocharged

Do you own the impreza wagon? Is it underpowered?

Ah no, I'm driving a legacy wagon.

You will want to compare/cross-shop the various models you listed and view all of them to assess their practicality.

I think power is not such an issue unless you want the company staff speeding around. The impreza with the awd will probably be the least economical.

Since you're talking about fixed-sized cargo (boxes), you will want to consider the following:

1. Rear hatch opening size and height clearance for ease of loading/unloading. Is the boot floor flush with the hatch opening or is there a drop?

2. Rear seats - are they flush with the boot floor when folded down? If not, how much do they "slope" upwards to the front. This might limit how many boxes you can stack there.

3. Rear doors - You will probably be loading some boxes via the rear doors, so shape/size might be an issue for ease of entry.

4. Suspension component/rear wheel well intrusion into the rear boot might limit width, again up to you to assess.

These are just some of the things off the top of my head when I look at wagons and from my experience of moving house twice with my car (you can really fit a lot into a wagon). I don't know your needs or your cargo dimensions. My regular usage of the cargo space is for big dive bags and my bicycle.

y not a van?

Van cant drive into Malaysia that easily. Also got speed limitation.

Thanks.

Regards,

Hi all, long time no see and no chat here.

Im looking for a spacewagon for the purpose of business and private use. It will driven by a staff most of the time.

There are not many Japanese made options out there for preowned.

There are the Honda Airwave, Toyota Fielder and Subaru Impreza Wagon.

These are small engines. So i wonder how they performed when i load in cartons boxes in them. Are their rear suspension hardy? Do they have sufficient spaces for boxes. Say, 10 to 12 mid size boxes at time. Most of the time, either left empty or 1 to 2 boxes in the boot.

Which do you recommend, value for money, less maintenance hassles, ease of access to parts and accessories?

Kindly advise me.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Depends on your definition of mid-size boxes. dimensions?

If you already have a specific volume space in mind, this should narrow down your choices significantly. Estima easily fits the bill, others include Alphard, Stepwagon, even the new Odyssey may fit your bill.

Freed may be a little too small, but that depends on the volume space you need.

Depends on your definition of mid-size boxes. dimensions?

If you already have a specific volume space in mind, this should narrow down your choices significantly. Estima easily fits the bill, others include Alphard, Stepwagon, even the new Odyssey may fit your bill.

Freed may be a little too small, but that depends on the volume space you need.

Hi there,

I think I've more or less narrow down to just Honda Airwave, Toyota Fielder and Impreza Wagon. By Browsing the specifications of these cars from web, Fielder appears to be the most spacious.

Unless we've missed out other Japanese brand/models?

No MPV/SUV, that is very clear. It is a work vehicle, an assigned staff get to drive home after work and weekend/public holidays.

Now it is a matter of which one, assuming the boot space is acceptable from the 3?

Thank you.

Regards,

Don't choose toyota if afraid of weak suspension :D

Honda freed actually not bad

Hi there,

All Toyota cars have weak suspension meh? hahaha...

Regards,

(edited)

Buy a van but register it as car. I think some models can do that. You just pay as though it's a car lor (COE and everything).

Check out those passenger versions of Urvan, Hiace etc.

If you carrying goods a purpose-built van is most likely to have the proper power and suspension to cope. Although that said, most cars actually can tahan quite a bit of load one also.

Edited by Benarsenal

make sure insurance covers.

Sure, to be covered under for business use.

Thanks.

Regards,

there's a very rare model in Singapore that may suit your needs, it's called a Toyota Probox. made in Japan for semi-commercial use, yet suitable for families after working hours.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=208536

may be hard to find one, though.

Thanks for sharing the information. That is indeed a rare one!

Regards,