Can Car rental company rent the car to a minor <21?

Kelpie

Hi all,

A friend of mine range me up just now and asked me to check in the forum for quick advice.

His son (less than 21 years, less than 1 year driving license) rented a car without his notice and got into an accident.

The car run into the car park railing and damaged the bumper. Now the Car rental company wanted the son to pay $1k for damages. According to the Son story, the steering wheel suddenly locked up when he was parking and then he knocked the railing.

My friend is of the thought that how could a rental company rent a car to a minor (less than 21 with less than 1 year license) in the 1st place? Is this legal? This is the question that I can't answer him.

I thought youngsters can learn driving so car rental company should be able to rent to them right? I actually advised him to go outside workshop to fix the problem and return back to the car rental company. This could be cheaper.

I know there are many experts here, kindly advise me on this.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

I think I done that before..last time when I was in my first year of NS, shud be 19 years old? I rented a Ford Laser for my own birthday...should be allowable..

before asking what the car rental can do or cannot do,

which car rental that he rented from? did he have a copy of the signed document with T&C? did he misrepresent himself to the car rental (in case if small company that didn't ask to show proof).

Supercharged

you also need to understand the excess that the renter has to bear for any damage to the car.

if that 1 K damage cost is below the excess the renter has to bear, then you gotta suck thumb and pay.

you also need to understand the excess that the renter has to bear for any damage to the car.

if that 1 K damage cost is below the excess the renter has to bear, then you gotta suck thumb and pay.

Like that, better to repair outside then return to the car rental company.

Thanks.

Regards,

before asking what the car rental can do or cannot do,

which car rental that he rented from? did he have a copy of the signed document with T&C? did he misrepresent himself to the car rental (in case if small company that didn't ask to show proof).

You mean Car rental company doesn't require to show IC to rent a car?

I don't know about the TNC. I have SMS him to check.

Thanks.

Regards,

He is not a minor and coming on, the son damaged the car, just pay up.

If my son damaged someone's else toy, I pay, legal or otherwise.

• Praise 3

He is not a minor and coming on, the son damaged the car, just pay up.

If my son damaged someone's else toy, I pay, legal or otherwise.

true also cos he did this without letting the father know.

want to scold and cane, go home close door then whack [laugh][laugh]

true also cos he did this without letting the father know.

want to scold and cane, go home close door then whack [laugh][laugh]

hahaha...

Regards,

Supercharged

You mean Car rental company doesn't require to show IC to rent a car?

I don't know about the TNC. I have SMS him to check.

Thanks.

Regards,

I tot they should at least see his driving license, if didn't check his NRIC.

Anyway, someone else (>21 years) may have rented the car for him, but he drove it instead. Or maybe he didn't drive it....? Whatever....not much info given also.

(edited)

I tot they should at least see his driving license, if didn't check his NRIC.

Anyway, someone else (>21 years) may have rented the car for him, but he drove it instead. Or maybe he didn't drive it....? Whatever....not much info given also.

He rented the car himself. He signed the paper. He drove the car.

Hence, the father questioned how come > 21 can rent a car so easily?

Thanks.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

Internal Moderator

Have you tried going onemotoring to check if the vehicle is allowed for rental? Some rental companies allow p-plates to rent their vehicles using a normal passenger car. You should be able to check the vehicle info from onemotoring by the transfer fee enquiry page.

That said, whether or not his son got the car through proper channel, once damaged he should pay up for damages on behalf of his son, and then make sure the son pays him back the full amount at a later date.

It's all about supply and demand. Young p-plate drivers eager to showoff to their friends/girls vs Car Rental companies who know there is a demand out there for such market. The catch? You damage the vehicle, you pay for it, which is very reasonable - only sometimes you meet the dishonest ones and you kena tok more than the market rate.

The best solution is to pay up the 1K (or if possible try to negotiate the payable amount with the company) and ban the son from renting again.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

I'm not getting the point of asking whether it was legal for the car rental company to have rented the car to the son - legal or not, if the son caused the accident, it's not right to try to shirk the financial obligations because of a technicality. Would the question have arisen if the son had not met with an accident?

But, in any case, this may answer the question: http://www.khattarwong.com/images/stories/pdf/Lowering_of_minimum_contracting_age_from_21_to_18_years.pdf

TL;DR: Not a question of "majority" but of "contractual capacity". That age has been lowered to 18, so the rental contract seems legit. I am only a pretend lawyer though. :D

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 2

Hi all,

A friend of mine range me up just now and asked me to check in the forum for quick advice.

His son (less than 21 years, less than 1 year driving license) rented a car without his notice and got into an accident.

The car run into the car park railing and damaged the bumper. Now the Car rental company wanted the son to pay $1k for damages. According to the Son story, the steering wheel suddenly locked up when he was parking and then he knocked the railing.

My friend is of the thought that how could a rental company rent a car to a minor (less than 21 with less than 1 year license) in the 1st place? Is this legal? This is the question that I can't answer him.

I thought youngsters can learn driving so car rental company should be able to rent to them right? I actually advised him to go outside workshop to fix the problem and return back to the car rental company. This could be cheaper.

I know there are many experts here, kindly advise me on this.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

whoa boss!!!!!! long see no time!!!!! [grin]

Supercharged

Like that, better to repair outside then return to the car rental company.

Thanks.

Regards,

it really depends on whether you are allowed to do that.

cos they may have to report the damage to their insurance company as a record.

in the event you repair, if the next person who rented after the boy got into accident, and structural damage is found to be the cause of the accident, fingers may point to the boy rather than the person who rented after him. read the T&C before you bring to your own workshop. bo later tai zhi liow liow.

I am only a pretend lawyer though. :D

can pretend to be a nurse? you have no shortage of the uniform [laugh][laugh]

What's the legal age for entering a contract without consent from parent? 18 or 21?

18 years old can carry rifle liao lor.

Supersonic
(edited)

can pretend to be a nurse? you have no shortage of the uniform [laugh][laugh]

Can. I put Joker makeup and blow stuff up also can. :D

18 years old can carry rifle liao lor.

But can't watch R21 movies. Can die for country, but can't watch dirty movie. There was even a small outcry about this many years back, IIRC.

Edited by Turboflat4

But can't watch R21 movies. Can die for country, but can't watch dirty movie. There was even a small outcry about this many years back, IIRC.

yahor, at least can die as a virgin [laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement