Can Car rental company rent the car to a minor <21?

Kelpie

Hypersonic

yahor, at least can die as a virgin [laugh][laugh]

Legal age for consensual s*x is 16. Not all will be virgin.

↡ Advertisement

What's the legal age for entering a contract without consent from parent? 18 or 21?

21. Poly students still need parent signature unless of course they're older than 21. Which is about right considering

18 year olds act and look like 16 year olds anyway. The only other reason I'd say 21 is a better choice is that an 18

year old is unlikely to have a stable income with the way our educational system is set up.

Hypersonic

21. Poly students still need parent signature unless of course they're older than 21. Which is about right considering

18 year olds act and look like 16 year olds anyway. The only other reason I'd say 21 is a better choice is that an 18

year old is unlikely to have a stable income with the way our educational system is set up.

If 21, than TS's friend may have a case, rental contract may not be biding.

(edited)

Pay 1k considered cheap to learn this lesson. Father dun act smart to try to find fault whether car rental can rent to >21 or not? Then when son go n screw girls than question why the girl let his son screw when he is>21.

I remember there was a case a car rental company wants the young man to pay 60K for accident of the rental car. 1k is cheap to settle. From what I know, excess for P plate young driver easily 2.5k liao.

Edited by SGCMsmallcar
  • Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)

What's the legal age for entering a contract without consent from parent? 18 or 21?

Depends on the contract. See my post.

Edited by Turboflat4

Hi all,

A friend of mine range me up just now and asked me to check in the forum for quick advice.

His son (less than 21 years, less than 1 year driving license) rented a car without his notice and got into an accident.

The car run into the car park railing and damaged the bumper. Now the Car rental company wanted the son to pay $1k for damages. According to the Son story, the steering wheel suddenly locked up when he was parking and then he knocked the railing.

My friend is of the thought that how could a rental company rent a car to a minor (less than 21 with less than 1 year license) in the 1st place? Is this legal? This is the question that I can't answer him.

I thought youngsters can learn driving so car rental company should be able to rent to them right? I actually advised him to go outside workshop to fix the problem and return back to the car rental company. This could be cheaper.

I know there are many experts here, kindly advise me on this.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

why not. he got license to drive a car from the state means he eligible to rent. just higher excess that's all.

sounds like your friend trying to squirm his way out of paying.

1k is reasonable given the repair cost and loss of use

• Praise 1

Hi TS,

I am sure your friend's son did signed a contract with the car rental coy with all the details such as personal details, car details, excess which he got to pay in the case of an accident.

If I am not wrong, young drivers under 21 can still rent a car and everything is under insured but the downside of this is the high amount of excess he/she got to pay in the event of an accident. (That's for the case of legal car renting coy)

* just pay and move on, there's nothing much your friend can do.

Now.... For the case of ILLEGAL car rental coy, the car itself doesn't have any proper insurance for hirer so in the event of bad accident with injuries, the insurance will NOT pay as your friend's son is not the named driver (as the car belong to another private owner in the first place)

How to differentiate between legal and illegal car renting coy? Easy!

If the car renting coy or the person who attend to you mentioned that in the event of accident, DIE DIE MUST INFORM THEM as they will be there to assist you. Why? The car is most probably handed over to them from those cash strapped car owners who can't pay up the car installment and these car rental coy then offer to pay them $$ to help them with their installment, but in return, they will use their car to rent out to those "potential carrot / young and dangerous drivers who just passed licence "

And by the way, if you get into an accident with these illegal car, insurance will not pay a single cent even if the car is totaled!!!

Why I know? I used to work as a "sales executive " at this ah beng car rental during my uni days as part time and I often see young guys and gals who just passed their TP rent car from us. Whenever I pass the keys to them, I wish them all the best and drive safely!

TS, from what you have mentioned, I suggest you to ask your friend to check out the prices of replacing bumper + respray from 2 to 3 workshop then see if the price is cheaper than $1000. If so, check out with the car rental coy if they are willing to settle the case privately.

All the best!

• Praise 3

Supercharged

langar liao dun wan pay ar? sibeh CHAO KUAN

is not dun wan pay. is pay using own terms.

like i said in my earlier posts, if you pay on own terms for rental cars, there could be implications.

Pay 1k considered cheap to learn this lesson. Father dun act smart to try to find fault whether car rental can rent to >21 or not? Then when son go n screw girls than question why the girl let his son screw when he is>21.

I remember there was a case a car rental company wants the young man to pay 60K for accident of the rental car. 1k is cheap to settle. From what I know, excess for P plate young driver easily 2.5k liao.

huh? 60k for accident of rental car?

no insurance to cover the cost of repairs?

• Praise 1

$1k is considered reasonable.

I have only experience with one rental company in the west, the service and the cars are quite ok but they require the hirer to sign an undertaking. In this undertaking is a clause for a $3500 excess upon an accident.

My suggestion to your friend's son is to pay up and move on. Take it as an expensive driving lesson.

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the advice.

In the end the father got not no choice but to pay up and to deduct from the son allowance.

I guess the youngster has to learn through the hard way.

Regards,

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Side track since TS did mentioned steering wheel "locked up" hence the cause of accident.

Don't talk about a youngster, how often does one check tyres, test steering and brakes besides exterior prior to driving off a car let alone a rented car?

So, should the locking of steering wheel happened, could anyone do anything about it let alone a youngster?The boy could have panicked thus crashed the car.

I am not absolving the boy of anything but is there any way to determine it was due to car malfunction and not because of the boy's inexperience in handling a "new car"?

Back to $1K, it is really cheap unless evidence can be found to support that car malfunction.

Hi all,

In the end the father got not no choice but to pay up and to deduct from the son allowance.

Regards,

the son has to learn to take responsibility, my son was using my cousin's mobile in malaysia and clock $600 of data charge when he was 10 yr old, i deducted from his ang bao money [laugh][laugh]

Hi all,

Regards,

glad to know that the father made the right choice.

lesson learn. hope next time they'll be more careful while handling a vehicle esp rented ones.

He is not a minor and coming on, the son damaged the car, just pay up.

If my son damaged someone's else toy, I pay, legal or otherwise.

if my son....i will ask him to pay....no money i pay for him but he must repay. It is his reponsibility.....so suck it up! Must teach them the hard truth as early as possible!
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1