Can Car rental company rent the car to a minor <21?

Kelpie

Can. I put Joker makeup and blow stuff up guys also can. :D

But can't watch R21 movies. Can die for country, but can't watch dirty movie. There was even a small outcry about this many years back, IIRC.

Edited for clarity! Haha

Anyway, i find it quite strange that 16 1/2 years old can volunteer to be a soldier already, but still can't drink, or vote. Able to die for the country, but not even get a drink legally.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

Edited for clarity! Haha

Anyway, i find it quite strange that 16 1/2 years old can volunteer to be a soldier already, but still can't drink, or vote. Able to die for the country, but not even get a drink legally.

I couldn't agree more.

Can die defending the country but cannot even see

RA show.

:D

He rented the car himself. He signed the paper. He drove the car.

Hence, the father questioned how come > 21 can rent a car so easily?

Thanks.

Regards,

No wonder the son like that.

He gets it from the father.

No point blaming kids

its the parents that is one kind one.

:D

Another tips for youngster who just passed their TP test who wish to rent a car to impress their loved ones or gf/bf......

Be it legal or illegal car rental coy, remember to ask for emergency point of contact, just in case the veh break down during your rental period. Next, for minor scratches and dent, before you sign on the dotted line, the car rental coy staff will accompany you to walk around the car to visually inspect the interior n exterior of the car.

For illegal coy, make sure you open your eye BIG BIG!!!! Record every minor dent / scratches into the agreement / contract.

And this is how we "scam" these innocent blur blur youngsters: upon returning the veh, the staff will look out for dent n scratches which was not recorded in the contract and they will push the blame to you!!! To settle this, very easy, just pay a small token so that we can bring the car go respray (but in actual fact, the money goes into the company pocket, respray? Lol.....)

Although I am not a guru in this line, but I am able provide some of my experience n share with you guys.

• Praise 1

Hi all,

A friend of mine range me up just now and asked me to check in the forum for quick advice.

His son (less than 21 years, less than 1 year driving license) rented a car without his notice and got into an accident.

The car run into the car park railing and damaged the bumper. Now the Car rental company wanted the son to pay $1k for damages. According to the Son story, the steering wheel suddenly locked up when he was parking and then he knocked the railing.

My friend is of the thought that how could a rental company rent a car to a minor (less than 21 with less than 1 year license) in the 1st place? Is this legal? This is the question that I can't answer him.

I thought youngsters can learn driving so car rental company should be able to rent to them right? I actually advised him to go outside workshop to fix the problem and return back to the car rental company. This could be cheaper.

I know there are many experts here, kindly advise me on this.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

1) car rental has their T&C, rent then abide by them

2) accident is caused by the driver

3) the excuse for accident sounds suspicious, if the steering wheel locked up it is a mechanical issue, in this case the driver should sue the rental company for endangering his life by giving him defective car. (But you sure it's the truth, cause mechanical issues can be inspected and confirmed)

4) fixing at outside workshop may bring about more issues, what if it is not fixed properly?

5) $1k is not very little, but it also is not hell lot of money, take it as a lesson learnt lor..

Basically if your friend and his kid (the driver) is so sure the car steering wheel locked, they should sue the rental company and request for compensation, otherwise it's just cooking up excuses and stories to try to avoid responsibility for an action caused by themselves.

Legal or not to rent is one thing, but the kinda life lesson and the morale sense which is being imparted and taught is totally out of whack. Eat the humble pie and admit to the mistake if they are in the wrong, teach his son to own up to mistakes instead of shedding responsibly for his own actions, the $1k to pay to teach his son a life lesson is worth more than spoiling him now and getting him to try and hide behind legal jargon.

Supercharged

1) car rental has their T&C, rent then abide by them

2) accident is caused by the driver

3) the excuse for accident sounds suspicious, if the steering wheel locked up it is a mechanical issue, in this case the driver should sue the rental company for endangering his life by giving him defective car. (But you sure it's the truth, cause mechanical issues can be inspected and confirmed)

4) fixing at outside workshop may bring about more issues, what if it is not fixed properly?

5) $1k is not very little, but it also is not hell lot of money, take it as a lesson learnt lor..

Basically if your friend and his kid (the driver) is so sure the car steering wheel locked, they should sue the rental company and request for compensation, otherwise it's just cooking up excuses and stories to try to avoid responsibility for an action caused by themselves.

Legal or not to rent is one thing, but the kinda life lesson and the morale sense which is being imparted and taught is totally out of whack. Eat the humble pie and admit to the mistake if they are in the wrong, teach his son to own up to mistakes instead of shedding responsibly for his own actions, the $1k to pay to teach his son a life lesson is worth more than spoiling him now and getting him to try and hide behind legal jargon.

wow... that is something~!

i never thought of it from that angle before.

hmmm... you learn something new everyday~!

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the advice.

In the end the father got not no choice but to pay up and to deduct from the son allowance.

I guess the youngster has to learn through the hard way.

Regards,

revisithing this thread... does the dad drive?

↡ Advertisement