Asian Countries: Self-Drive Holiday Story

Thaiyotakamli

(edited)

Hi guys any story/experience to share driving in other asian countries/cities other than MALAYSIA?

Let me share mine first, since I am relatively young, I have driven in Thailand and Indonesia before, driven car friend in bkk for half day only but was unlucky as traffic really jam. Drive around the sathorn area as well as sukhumvit area 3-4 years back in his CRV. Really pain in @ss driving in bkk as had to wait long in traffic light.

Then in indonesia i have driven before in Surabaya, Bali and. Batam before through car rental.

In Bali it was challenging as roads very narrow and gps somehow brought me to small road for one car only for shortcut BUT that road is for 2 ways. So when there is oncoming car, I had to keep the most left, ask my gf to check out left side of the car and then i fold the mirror, think left and right less than 15cm! Then also managed to drove to kintamani mountain for 3-4 hours drive from the denpasar city. Its tiring but fun

Then in Surabaya, i rented an Innova and went to Taman Safari Prigen about 1 hr drive from the city. The fun part is that the safari is like jurassic park, lions and other animals is at ur car window as we drive in to see those animals using our own cars. Unforgettable experience indeed. Think if u watch one of the Running Man episode in Indonesia, its exactly the same. U can feed some herbivores food by opening ur window slightly. Its fun!

Last but not least in Batam, rented a car drive to barelang bridges. Not much experience but fun part is when u cross the first bridge. Then i think in 4th or 5th island drive through viets village.

Thats all about my Asia Driving experience :D

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

What about driving in left hand drive countries?

My first such experience was in SAF sometimes in roc. On the first day I went to the wrong side of the road after turning at the junction! It's not very easy driving a right hand drive car in a LHD country.

Also, even if I drove a local LHD car, when I tried to shift gear during the first 20km, my left hand kept grabbing the door handle!!

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Australia and NZ consider part of Asia a-not? [:/]

If yes, then bro Super7 and Darren can share more of their driving experiences, with their partners, there.

Supercharged

Also, even if I drove a local LHD car, when I tried to shift gear during the first 20km, my left hand kept grabbing the door handle!!

You could use the same excuse when you drive a RHD car, and touch the legs of the xmm sitting on the passenger seat....say that you tot you are driving in ROC, lor [laugh][:p]

• Praise 1

If yes, then bro Super7 and Darren can share more of their driving experiences, with their partners, there.

Well, AU/NZ isn't part of Asia. It's part of Oceania.

You could use the same excuse when you drive a RHD car, and touch the legs of the xmm sitting on the passenger seat....say that you tot you are driving in ROC, lor [laugh][:p]

Also one of the benefits of driving a manual. Can say sorry, hand slipped. [grin]

Lol aussie and malaysia too common liao

My first such experience was in SAF sometimes in roc. On the first day I went to the wrong side of the road after turning at the junction! It's not very easy driving a right hand drive car in a LHD country.

I only sit before in LHD car in Wuhan last year. Don't dare to drive out as i think my license cant use there

Turbocharged
(edited)

Drove before, after a few years, on Singapore road will get confused a bit and I accidentally went thru a crossing with pedestrian crossing, once there's a gap I just went through, they were shocked, so was I. And will also tend to turn to the right into oncoming traffic, very dangerous. Some more red light can turn right by default.

When come to Singapore, wanted to put my stuff in the front passenger seat but open the drivers seat, the taxi uncle jokingly asked, I wanna drive issit? Lol

Edited by nazerath
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Drove before, after a few years, on Singapore road will get confused a bit and I accidentally went thru a crossing with pedestrian crossing, once there's a gap I just went through, they were shocked, so was I. And will also tend to turn to the right into oncoming traffic, very dangerous. Some more red light can turn right by default.

When come to Singapore, wanted to put my stuff in the front passenger seat but open the drivers seat, the taxi uncle jokingly asked, I wanna drive issit? Lol

LOL.... I did the same overseas when try to enter LHD taxi front passener seat as if its a RHD singapore taxi

Turbocharged

Can teach me more... more decent things? [grin]

Supercharged

Can teach me more... more decent things? [grin]

Oh...can touch her hand and ask her if she is cold a-not, if yes, you can adjust the aircon to warmer - showing your concern for her. [:p]

Turbocharged

Oh...can touch her hand and ask her if she is cold a-not, if yes, you can adjust the aircon to warmer - showing your concern for her. [:p]

Wah, must check if this morning the sun rose from the west.... you are a changed man!!

But i suspect you forgot to continue: make sure your elbow go to the right place when adjusting the aircon nob!! [grin] [grin]

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Wah, must check if this morning the sun rose from the west.... you are a changed man!!

But i suspect you forgot to continue: make sure your elbow go to the right place when adjusting the aircon nob!! [grin] [grin]

Now its too late the check the rising sun.

Maybe can check tonight's moon if it is blue in colour loh.... [laugh]:D

HK roads are narrow city or country regardless [laugh]. Car parks generally more narrow than Singapore and more expensive especially in the city. But if cheap think there will be no parking lots available. Also, got a lot of police patrolling so don't even think about crossing lanes with solid white line like in SG. Right turn on red is illegal like in SG.

Actually, not always so. I find HK urban road lanes wider than Singapore, except for some of the very old ones. For instance, many of the roads in HK which have three lanes would have four or even five in Singapore. The lanes in the true highways (100km/h speed limit) are also wider than those in Singapore. The country roads in the New Territories aren't that bad; those on HK Island are really narrow.

For the indoor car parks, most of the older ones are narrow and with tiny lots, but most of the newer shopping centres have good, easy entrances and exits and more spacious lots.

You're spot on about the traffic police enforcement, they're like virtually everywhere and I've seen them wielding their lasers from some of the weirdest locations in anti-speeding operations.

Turbocharged

Now its too late the check the rising sun.

Maybe can check tonight's moon if it is blue in colour loh.... [laugh]:D

Will check, will check.... all this changes affected by global warming, between your legs? [sweatdrop] [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

Actually, not always so. I find HK urban road lanes wider than Singapore, except for some of the very old ones. For instance, many of the roads in HK which have three lanes would have four or even five in Singapore. The lanes in the true highways (100km/h speed limit) are also wider than those in Singapore. The country roads in the New Territories aren't that bad; those on HK Island are really narrow.

For the indoor car parks, most of the older ones are narrow and with tiny lots, but most of the newer shopping centres have good, easy entrances and exits and more spacious lots.

You're spot on about the traffic police enforcement, they're like virtually everywhere and I've seen them wielding their lasers from some of the weirdest locations in anti-speeding operations.

Just curious, is there any good B roads in new territories for driving? (and safe also) [grin]

Just curious, is there any good B roads in new territories for driving? (and safe also) [grin]

It's always safe, as long as you drive decently and obey laws. HK isn't Malaysia. [laugh]

Personally I like the stretch of Tai Po Road from Fo Tan, climbing up past the Chinese University and then down to Tai Po.

There's also Lam Kam Road from the northern part of Tai Po, which links you to Kam Tin Road and brings you through Yuen Long. In fact, all of these roads are my preferred choices to get around as opposed to the highways when I drive my Mazda 323, which feels spirited and lively on these roads but not at highway speeds.

From Lam Kam Road, you can also go up Route Twisk which takes you up to Tai Mo Shan, the highest mountain in HK, and down to Tsuen Wan.

Also from Tai Po, Ting Kok Road leads into Bride's Pool Road. This route passes the seaside and can be quite scenic.

These roads are usually quite smooth-flowing, unless its peak hour or there are roadworks. It's quite enjoyable to drive but don't think of speeding when you don't know the terrain. Limits 50km/h unless otherwise stated, some are 70km/h. There are fixed cameras and police with laser guns all over anyway.

You can find these roads on maps.google.com.hk

• Praise 1

(edited)

Hi guys any story/experience to share driving in other asian countries/cities other than MALAYSIA?

Let me share mine first, since I am relatively young, I have driven in Thailand and Indonesia before, driven car friend in bkk for half day only but was unlucky as traffic really jam. Drive around the sathorn area as well as sukhumvit area 3-4 years back in his CRV. Really pain in @ss driving in bkk as had to wait long in traffic light.

Then in indonesia i have driven before in Surabaya, Bali and. Batam before through car rental.

In Bali it was challenging as roads very narrow and gps somehow brought me to small road for one car only for shortcut BUT that road is for 2 ways. So when there is oncoming car, I had to keep the most left, ask my gf to check out left side of the car and then i fold the mirror, think left and right less than 15cm! Then also managed to drove to kintamani mountain for 3-4 hours drive from the denpasar city. Its tiring but fun

Then in Surabaya, i rented an Innova and went to Taman Safari Prigen about 1 hr drive from the city. The fun part is that the safari is like jurassic park, lions and other animals is at ur car window as we drive in to see those animals using our own cars. Unforgettable experience indeed. Think if u watch one of the Running Man episode in Indonesia, its exactly the same. U can feed some herbivores food by opening ur window slightly. Its fun!

Last but not least in Batam, rented a car drive to barelang bridges. Not much experience but fun part is when u cross the first bridge. Then i think in 4th or 5th island drive through viets village.

I have ever driven in Oman 2 to 3 years, LHD,

quite enjoyable driving there, never encountered traffic jam, less car on the road, rare traffic lights, most cross junction are round boards, city center some round board entries come with traffic lights but only operating in morning and eveing peak hours,

parking absoluately free, except Airport carpark, but also extreme cheap, 2 days overnight parking only about S$6.00, petrol cheap, #95 only S$0.35 per liter and never change during my stay there 3 years,

most popular cars on their road are full size SUVs, pickups, such as Land cruiser, Lexue LX, Nissan Patrol, GMC Yukon, Ford Expedition etc, mostly come from Japan, USA, Korea, rarely see BMW, Merc, Audi etc German brands, normally one family owns 3 vehicles, one Sedan, one SUV, one Pickup,

very friendly driving each other, normaly head in parking in front of shop if you want to buy something beside the road side shop, once you want to reverse out, main road vehicles will stop to let you reverse,

came back to Singapore, very quickly suit back to RHD style w/o any trouble.

Edited by Quantum
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1