Lighter rims necessarily good?

Prtyrckk

Twincharged

You have answered your own questions correctly!

Who cares about all the rest when it looks good? Fix oversized brakes too otherwise looks funny ....

Ya. I always see cars with huge rims and tiny brakes or drum brakes at the rear. Looks weird. Cuz its so empty. Especially if the rim design is those kind with lots of gaps in between.

↡ Advertisement

yeah ... with bigger rim ... you need to fill up the lobang ... hehe *not my car ... picture leech from internet ... lol

Ya. I always see cars with huge rims and tiny brakes or drum brakes at the rear. Looks weird. Cuz its so empty. Especially if the rim design is those kind with lots of gaps in between.

post-7984-0-36172300-1427111887_thumb.png

Sorry to dig up old post, as I can't post a new thread yet.

I'm considering changing my stock aluminium 17" (on 235/45/17) to BBS rims (either 235/45/17 or 235/40/18). The weights of the stock and BBS 17"s are about the same. Just wanted to check if there are any advantages to upsize to 18" as it looks like it's mostly for asthetics. I'm assuming braking grip would likely be similar given the same tyre width.

In fact, it looks like ride comfort might suffer if I upsize. FC might also go down since the 18"s are heavier. Hope to hear from more learned experts

235/45/17 and 235/40/18 no doubt both are 235 section width same number , but physical width 235/40/18 will wider (same type of tyre)

upsize from 17" to 18" not necessary increase FC (depend your 18" rim weight / size like width/ offset)

upsize 17 to 18 also not necessary affect ride comfort (depend on your type of tyre between 17 and 18)

most peoples changed rim because of asthetics especially the Design

Supercharged

Some times I wonder, does it necessary induce higher FC when you upsize.. say 17" to 18"..

Yes the rotational mass is higher hence you need more energy to rotate the wheels from stop, but wouldn't it also "free roll" more if you're "gliding" your car?

Thanks for the comments. I should add that the comparisons for ride comfort would only be fair if we are using the same brand/model of tyres (as well as tyre pressure). So it should be a matter of the tyre profile that affects the ride, right?

On a related note, would this mean that in theory, the ride should feel the same for 235/45/17 and 235/45/18?

Learned something new - didn't know that the offset would also be a main factor in FC as well!

Thanks for the comments. I should add that the comparisons for ride comfort would only be fair if we are using the same brand/model of tyres (as well as tyre pressure). So it should be a matter of the tyre profile that affects the ride, right?

On a related note, would this mean that in theory, the ride should feel the same for 235/45/17 and 235/45/18?

Learned something new - didn't know that the offset would also be a main factor in FC as well!

my answer is NO and it could feel opposite way

many factors affect the ride comfort like rim (size/ weight/ offset) tyre (size/weight/brand/model/after used aged/ runflat)

suspension system (sport/ comfort mode/ type)

Tyre Pressure (high / low)

Driver (preference/ type /sex /age / relationship )

Neutral Newbie

I’ve replaced the factory wheels with a set of very light forged aftermarket wheels made of special strong aviation-grade alloy (by SMW), and I am very pleased with the resulting performance. I saved over 35% as compared with the original cast wheels – and I really feel the difference, especially at cornering. I also noticed that the gas mileage did improve somewhat (though not more than 5% - 8%). So this investment payback will be within a couple of more years, in addition to the enjoyment of better handling.

I’ve replaced the factory wheels with a set of very light forged aftermarket wheels made of special strong aviation-grade alloy (by SMW), and I am very pleased with the resulting performance. I saved over 35% as compared with the original cast wheels – and I really feel the difference, especially at cornering. I also noticed that the gas mileage did improve somewhat (though not more than 5% - 8%). So this investment payback will be within a couple of more years, in addition to the enjoyment of better handling.

Congratulation for your Well Investment which you have enjoying the Positive returned.

Lighter wheels is it necessarily Good ?

My Answer is NOT necessary , it depends on the Quality and Development.

SOme wheels light is because they are Skimmed  thinner to reduced the Weight which will compromised the Strength ( I don't meant is dangerous to use them.

Let me use a rope to carry a Block of Metal (1,000 kg) as example

X rope rated 1500kg (rope weight 20kg)

Y rope rated 1300kg (rope weight 18kg)

Z rope rated 1100kg ( rope weight 16kg)

all X,Y,Z rope can carry this 1000kg metal block Safely from point A to Point B

XX rope rated 1500kg (rope weight 12 kg but Cost 100% more )

you decide what you want or Need.

some Bosses may want to Buy the XX rope  for more Productive work from his Workers.

SOme Bosses may want to Save Money he may choose other option

Just MHO

↡ Advertisement