Najib Announce VEP for Spore cars!

Ticklish8

Drove through Pengkalan Hulu and Rantau Panjang checkpoints recently and no signs of road charge at all. It's a toll targeted at only Singapore and LTA will certainly match it.

depend on how LTA match it...

1) cancel the 10 days free entry for MY cars plus cancel free entry after 5pm plus increase $6.70 in VEP for malaysia car

2) 10 days free entry forMY cars, remain.. additional 6.70 for VEP for 24 hours.. so if come in before 5pm, pay 35+6.70, after 5pm, pay 6.70 for MY car..

so LTA will choose which option?

anyway since yesterday morning, every car leaving Woodland/Tuas are subjected to boot inspection, causing big delay in the checkpoint traffic esp during evening peak...

they are trying to catch one MY Indian Guy who escape while transportng illegal cigarettes...

Drove through Pengkalan Hulu and Rantau Panjang checkpoints recently and no signs of road charge at all. It's a toll targeted at only Singapore and LTA will certainly match it.

Wow!! All the way to Pengkalan Hulu? Do you need any permit to drive in to Thai border town?

to target spore with RM20 RC already take 2+ years to implement (still not LIVE yet)

to do it in Thai and Indo border ... at least take 10 years and probably forever !

LTA sure match it ... lol

Driving SG car into Thailand is fairly straight forward. Be sure to bring your logcard and you are the car owner, or have authorization letter from the owner. There are many threads discussing this.

Most SG insurance should already have coverage for 50km into Thailand, if going farther and want peace of mind you can extend the coverage with your insurance coy. You can also get third party insurance at the border, but third party won't cover your car.

RC is supposed to match VEP but in effect it's only a toll targeting SG cars.

LTA will just introduce a toll for MY cars only as RC is not VEP.

nowadays no log card use what?

printout from onemotoring website?

Would like to enquire with fellow bros on how the new system works. I went in on Sat night via woodlands and the Malaysian gantry has 2 tapping points. It is stated on the instructions that we are supposed to tap on the top(New reader) and then bottom(existing reader) before the gantry opens. I did so but the top reader doesn't read my TnG and I proceeded to tap the bottom. So I think it deducted the fees but gantry doesn't open. Then I tried another time and this time the top reader finally got a 'beep' sound and then I tap the bottom reader again. Then beep again. Then I realised the fees were deducted twice. Anyone has got similar experience?

Sometime bo pien

Tap liao nowan open

thear system not enough standard,

today i also got to tap here tap there then open

At least mine no deduct two time

Don't gey kiang tap here tap there.

Went in via Second Link yesterday early morning, tap to open barrier... no charges as yet.

now woodlands customs also. need to tap twice for the barrier to lift.

Would like to enquire with fellow bros on how the new system works. I went in on Sat night via woodlands and the Malaysian gantry has 2 tapping points. It is stated on the instructions that we are supposed to tap on the top(New reader) and then bottom(existing reader) before the gantry opens. I did so but the top reader doesn't read my TnG and I proceeded to tap the bottom. So I think it deducted the fees but gantry doesn't open. Then I tried another time and this time the top reader finally got a 'beep' sound and then I tap the bottom reader again. Then beep again. Then I realised the fees were deducted twice. Anyone has got similar experience?

This is how you do it (not the song)...

1. Tap the lower TnG toll reader (the old one).  Toll fee will be deducted from your TnG card.

2. Then tap the upper Road Charge (the new one).  No deduction, as apparently they are doing a field trial.

3.  Put to 1st gear, floor the throttle and fark off quickly...ok that is not always recommended.

I wonder how does the Malaysian RC card readers diffentiate MY cars from SG? Do MY cars have to tap twice as well?

I think that is one key point that wasn't thought through so far by the project people.  The checkpoint needs to be able to differentiate MY n SG cars.  MY do not need to pay the RC, so the barrier should open for them.  There s only 2 ways to get that done.

1. get the chap inside the cubicle stamping PP to manually open the barrier(ie override the system) if it is MY car.  But I ve asked them a few tums and they always say their job is PP, not RC.  RC is managed by another dept. 

2. get it automated so that something can detect a MY car from a SG car.  How? Dunno.  Dunno yet.  Unless the system can read the barcode or something on MY vs SG cars, I think.  So need some upgrade?  But project run out of money liao according to my hiadees in MY.

Verdict: Continue Field Trial.

Turbocharged

Just went in yesterday. I think the devices to implement VEP is all done. If you look up at the chop passport area, there are already detectors and cameras pointing towards our vehicle. Only thing missing is the RFID tag that is suppose to be collected by owners. But none have been issued.

Hopefully just delay another 6 months lah. Then maybe I'll consider registering. Lol.

• Praise 1

I think that is one key point that wasn't thought through so far by the project people.  The checkpoint needs to be able to differentiate MY n SG cars.  MY do not need to pay the RC, so the barrier should open for them.  There s only 2 ways to get that done.

1. get the chap inside the cubicle stamping PP to manually open the barrier(ie override the system) if it is MY car.  But I ve asked them a few tums and they always say their job is PP, not RC.  RC is managed by another dept. 

2. get it automated so that something can detect a MY car from a SG car.  How? Dunno.  Dunno yet.  Unless the system can read the barcode or something on MY vs SG cars, I think.  So need some upgrade?  But project run out of money liao according to my hiadees in MY.

There is a camera in front of each immigration booth, not sure whether the Malaysians are using that to recognise SG registered cars but I think it's for security purpose only since these cameras were already there when the new CIQ started operation.

As for RFID, if a Singapore is not registered and therefore does not have one, what is not stopping their system from treating that car as Malaysian registered, i.e. mian heng lui.....

Singapore system differentiates the cars by Cashcards and Autopass. Even that it's not foolproof as we have learnt as they lost over S$12m in collections.

There is a camera in front of each immigration booth, not sure whether the Malaysians are using that to recognise SG registered cars but I think it's for security purpose only since these cameras were already there when the new CIQ started operation.

As for RFID, if a Singapore is not registered and therefore does not have one, what is not stopping their system from treating that car as Malaysian registered, i.e. mian heng lui.....

Singapore system differentiates the cars by Cashcards and Autopass. Even that it's not foolproof as we have learnt as they lost over S$12m in collections.

The cameras don't seem functional. They were installed quite a few years ago when the Malaysian government wanted to crack down on Singaporeans not paying their traffic fines, etc. But after installing, somehow it didn't work out... and I think they also realised that too many cars were scrapped and the list of car numbers that they had were useless... so the fines remain unpaid... somehow or other, they don't seem to think too much before spending a lot of money... sigh...

The cameras don't seem functional. They were installed quite a few years ago when the Malaysian government wanted to crack down on Singaporeans not paying their traffic fines, etc. But after installing, somehow it didn't work out... and I think they also realised that too many cars were scrapped and the list of car numbers that they had were useless... so the fines remain unpaid... somehow or other, they don't seem to think too much before spending a lot of money... sigh...

hmm... think thats where the VEP registration comes into play...

Even if owner have scrapped his old car and bought car, there is no way SG car owner can siam the previous traffic fines as they can look up base on owner details and the cars registered under their name...

hmm... think thats where the VEP registration comes into play...

Even if owner have scrapped his old car and bought car, there is no way SG car owner can siam the previous traffic fines as they can look up base on owner details and the cars registered under their name...

It wont work either.

lets say.  You drive a current car, registered with VEP.  No outstanding MY fines. 

But your previous car is not VEP registered. Has $XXXX in unpaid fines.

How on earth are they gonna know you own the previous car?

I think that is one key point that wasn't thought through so far by the project people. The checkpoint needs to be able to differentiate MY n SG cars. MY do not need to pay the RC, so the barrier should open for them. There s only 2 ways to get that done.

1. get the chap inside the cubicle stamping PP to manually open the barrier(ie override the system) if it is MY car. But I ve asked them a few tums and they always say their job is PP, not RC. RC is managed by another dept.

2. get it automated so that something can detect a MY car from a SG car. How? Dunno. Dunno yet. Unless the system can read the barcode or something on MY vs SG cars, I think. So need some upgrade? But project run out of money liao according to my hiadees in MY.

Very Simple, just catageries them. Since they can seperated the motorbike, buses, lorries, cars. They just sub divided the S plate and M plate cars by different lane will do.

But a little bit worried is that, if go to the wrong lane, you might need to u-turn back to singapore.

↡ Advertisement