Najib Announce VEP for Spore cars!

Ticklish8

Went in this afternoon to fix the VEP, only to be told system down and they cannot say when it would be restored. Was told all 4 locations were affected. What a wasted trip and not to mention the toll as my appointment was at the Lima Kedai toll. Going to and from JB incurred tolls. 

• Praise 3
  • Sad 4

28 minutes ago, Tireburner said:

Went in this afternoon to fix the VEP, only to be told system down and they cannot say when it would be restored. Was told all 4 locations were affected. What a wasted trip and not to mention the toll as my appointment was at the Lima Kedai toll. Going to and from JB incurred tolls. 

what the...i can feel your frustration!

now i wonder if i shd go tmrw...for my appt...😩

There is a hard limit on the number of Singapore cars and bikes. Zero growth policy as it is called.

Singaporeans want to get a car, need to participate in the Battle Royale known as COE bidding.

Meanwhile, Malaysians just pay a flat fee per day to enter. Further more, first 10 days per year is free. So if a family or company in Malaysia has multiple cars (cars are cheap in Malaysia), they can basically fulfill all their travel needs in Singapore for free.

Anyone who drives regularly surely knows that Malaysian motorbikes outnumber local motorbikes.

These Malaysian motorbikes not just for commute. They use them to run errands and even brazenly do commercial delivery.

Soon Malaysian cars and lorry going to outnumber the locals also. Just you wait.

These Western educated government scholars are really living in their own bubble.

And the Singaporean sheep will knight for them all the same. Sad.

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

With regard to electronic top ups at rest stops - if anything, that strengthens my point about the convenience of TnG. 

I know that the initial implementation of VEP started with Jib. No issues with it. RM 20 is nothing and it's easy to keep the card topped up on exit so we have enough when coming back in for next trip. See, that's a sensible implementation. Just a gantry at customs. 

It's the RFID nonsense that I quibble with. Why force Singaporeans to do this? If they're going to do it at all, make it simple - allow us to quickly and smoothly pick it up at customs and install it ourselves as we enter or exit. Rather than all this registration, appointment, going to a JPJ tented area nonsense. Why do they even need our damn particulars? 

Personally, I feel that the particulars are important, knowing how some of our locals drive like a mad man up north and beating the speed cams and denying the charges. With this system, you probably can't deny this, as the car is tagged to your name/passport. Those who buy used cars also have ease of mind, knowing that they won't need to pay for the previous owner's traffic fines

2 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Personally, I feel that the particulars are important, knowing how some of our locals drive like a mad man up north and beating the speed cams and denying the charges. With this system, you probably can't deny this, as the car is tagged to your name/passport. Those who buy used cars also have ease of mind, knowing that they won't need to pay for the previous owner's traffic fines

Speaking as one of the "madmen", this is exactly what I don't want. I'm being frank here, flame me all you like, but it's how most car enthusiasts feel when they go up north. Consequence free speeding, at most pay some kopi money. Just don't get into any tangles with other cars or the barriers. 

With regard to previous fines, it's a simple matter to check via the plate number. 

Anyway, even if they tag it to passport and what not, not many are gonna give a crap. If they send me a fine to my home address, very good, I'll pay it. I've been paying all my fines before, not like some jokers who chance it. More convenient if they notify me by mail rather than me having to check online. Fines are the price of speed. But if they start demanding I attend court for speeding, etc., the sh*t the sg gahmen pulls, well, that'll be the day I totally stop going there. There's no extradition or cooperation clause for this sort of minor thing, so no worries about consequences in sg. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Know the particulars of owner so what? Anyone can borrowed their friends or relatives car to drive up. Eventually it will all goes back to the VEP registered owner/driver. 

Unless they going to verify the driver's ID against the registered VEP record at point of entry and enforced only registered driver/owner pair must match to allow entry, the problem you mentioned is still the same.

To prove the offences was by previous owner can easily be done by showing the LTA owner transfer docu. If they accept, issue settle. If they don't accept, whether VEP or not, still LL.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Sx4falcon said:

Know the particulars of owner so what? Anyone can borrowed their friends or relatives car to drive up. Eventually it will all goes back to the VEP registered owner/driver. 

Unless they going to verify the driver's ID against the registered VEP record at point of entry and enforced only registered driver/owner pair must match to allow entry, the problem you mentioned is still the same.

To prove the offences was by previous owner can easily be done by showing the LTA owner transfer docu. If they accept, issue settle. If they don't accept, whether VEP or not, still LL.

The system is the same as traffic offences. The registered owner takes the hit unless he can prove he is not the one driving at the point of time.

if used properly, the VEP records can be used to prevent those cases where people swop licence plates. Similar as what our IU unit records can be used for

• Praise 3

8 hours ago, Zxcvb said:

Report said those who already registered but yet to fix the VEP RFID is ok to drive in. 

They accurate or not. Got 300rm meh 🤔

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Anyone with window tint that hamper reading of the VEP-RFID tag?

Would like to avoid those tints as not keen to paste the tag on my headlights. 

Read that those with VKool were affected

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, sbliew said:

Read that those with VKool were affected

Thanks. So only those with metallic coating affected then.  Ceramic film should be safe then.

1 minute ago, Char said:

Can I go after 1/10  without the tag although already registered ?

Theoretically yes.

You going in 1/10? If not just wait for others to try first lah.

6 minutes ago, Sx4falcon said:

Theoretically yes.

You going in 1/10? If not just wait for others to try first lah.

1/10 is the worst day to cheong jb

sure kelam kabut and dont know what to do ...

can go in .. 

cannot go in ...

can or cannot read VEP tag ... [sweatdrop]

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Just now, Wt_know said:

1/10 is the worst day to get into jb

sure kelam kabut and dont know what to do ... 

Provided the VEP really start on 1/10.

Preparing 🍿

• Praise 1