Najib Announce VEP for Spore cars!

Ticklish8

14 hours ago, Zxcvb said:

The entire Malaysia Peninsula is moving towards RFID. Their local motorists are also fixing this same RFID (link to touchngo app) onto their windscreen or headlight since it started 1 year ago. The only extra step we Singaporeans have is to register the VEP and go to specific booths. 

PS: base on regular visits to Malaysian motoring blogs and YouTube channels. 

have u driven a lot in Msia? specifically the highways?

compare the number of local cars going to cash payment booths vs those going to TNG + TAG + RFID.

They implement TNG how long ago liao? still got many many locals paying cash at toll.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

8 hours ago, Newcar said:

Do not get confused with RFID and VEP.

Both are different.

RFID is mostly meant for local vehicles... (Probably/ Maybe, a newer version to replace their SMART Tag)

For your reference, 

Actually, RFID is the technology for both the Malaysian toll payments and the VEP for Singapore cars at the checkpoints. For us, we have to go to the specific locations to affix the RFID sticker because it is administered by their JPJ (our LTA equivalent), whereas for Malaysians, they can go to locations setup and administered by TNG, the company behind the RFID. 

• Praise 2

56 minutes ago, Prataboy said:

Actually, RFID is the technology for both the Malaysian toll payments and the VEP for Singapore cars at the checkpoints. For us, we have to go to the specific locations to affix the RFID sticker because it is administered by their JPJ (our LTA equivalent), whereas for Malaysians, they can go to locations setup and administered by TNG, the company behind the RFID. 

yes, to make it more confusing, RFID is actually the name of a wireless near-field (radio frequency) technology but the geniuses decided to use it as the name of the new toll payment system using RFID tech.

3 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

I still have questions actually, that haven't really been answered.

1) Does it mean you can only drive your own registered car in, ever? Rental car how?

2) Since it is tagged to the vehicle, what happens when you sell and change car? Will the system be updated? This one quite important leh.

Honestly I don't see a positive implementation for this. It just seems very poorly thought out, and they never think and cover all possible scenarios.

For point 2, on the vep website, you can transfer ownership or remove. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Prataboy said:

I suspect both are the same since those who failed the windscreen sensing test will do the same sticker at the headlamp like those malaysia cars. Don't understand why they don't standardize it.

10 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

have u driven a lot in Msia? specifically the highways?

compare the number of local cars going to cash payment booths vs those going to TNG + TAG + RFID.

They implement TNG how long ago liao? still got many many locals paying cash at toll.

Actually you are wrong. Seeing a long queue at the cash payment booth doesn't mean more ppl are using cash payment. It is because it's slow and only 1 booth. Most Malaysians I know uses TNG (tap the card) or TAG (Smart TAG holding a battery operated device). You don't see the queue at TNG or TAG booths is because the cars move on quickly and multiple booths, doesn't mean fewer ppl using it.

Edited by Zxcvb

26 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

Actually you are wrong. Seeing a long queue at the cash payment booth doesn't mean more ppl are using cash payment. It is because it's slow and only 1 booth. Most Malaysians I know uses TNG (tap the card) or TAG (Smart TAG holding a battery operated device). You don't see the queue at TNG or TAG booths is because the cars move on quickly and multiple booths, doesn't mean fewer ppl using it.

the fact that u see cars queueing at cash payment tolls already clearly indicates that many people are still using cash to pay... duh... [rolleyes]

32 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

the fact that u see cars queueing at cash payment tolls already clearly indicates that many people are still using cash to pay... duh... [rolleyes]

I agreed. I also see many women queuing at the toilet compared to the mens = number of women peeing outnumber men many times over. Duh [idea]

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Zxcvb said:

For long q usually only limited to 2 left most lane as it is used by heavy vehicles.

The rest of the ppl use TnG or Smarttag.

During peak hours, TnG lane also long q.

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, Benarsenal said:

I still have questions actually, that haven't really been answered.

1) Does it mean you can only drive your own registered car in, ever? Rental car how?

2) Since it is tagged to the vehicle, what happens when you sell and change car? Will the system be updated? This one quite important leh.

Honestly I don't see a positive implementation for this. It just seems very poorly thought out, and they never think and cover all possible scenarios.

1. For rental car, you have to ask rental car company liao.  Rental car usually keep very small fleet of cars to drive to Malaysia.

2. As owner, you need to deregister online your existing car.  Otherwise, the new car owner cannot register.

1 hour ago, Zxcvb said:

I agreed. I also see many women queuing at the toilet compared to the mens = number of women peeing outnumber men many times over. Duh [idea]

instead of using a silly analogy, why don't u answer my qns as posted earlier?

1) How much have you been driving in Msia? As you say your info is "base on regular visits to Malaysian motoring blogs and YouTube channels"

2) How long have Msia been using TNG before they converted to cashless tolls?

And you claim whole peninsular Malaysia is moving to RFID. Ok la, I guess a snail's pace is also considered moving.

• Praise 1

Not sure why some are questioning how many use TnG. In my experience, every single regular traveller up North uses TnG. Car convoys basically mandate it. If you don't have one, you have to buy it off the organiser. 

I assume most Malaysians are already using TnG cards as well. But I cannot be sure about this. 

Smart Tags are not as prevalent. The extra convenience over sticking your hand out and waving the TnG card is not worth it in my opinion, but there are still those who have installed this.

The only times we ever queue up at the Tambah Nilai booths is for top ups of the TnG cards. The queues at these booths are reflective of the times taken per transaction (much longer) rather than actual numbers of vehicles who've chosen not to partake of the TnG scheme at all. 

It's important not to rely on pure cash payments as the operators may simply not be present at all times. If your balance is too low and the mak cik has taken time off for a break or prayers, you better start praying too. And there have been times very early in the am when they've not started work yet (and this is the time responsible convoys prefer to go up to beat the jam and get some clear road to clear carbon). 

In short, TnG (with or without Smart Tag) is practically a must for regulars. 

But the existing TnG implementation is not at all the same as this VEP RFID nonsense. The latter is simply unnecessary since they've *already* got the damn gantry after customs for us to use our TnG cards for payment. I don't see any reason for them to have gone down this bureaucratic route. If they're worried about lost fine revenue, just squeeze more at GP on the way back lor (not that I would want that, but it's happening anyway, and it's still better than this sh*t). 

I think Mad Hatter is killing the golden goose here.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

Long Q at cash payment booths due to :

1) People have TNG card but still pay cash because they need the receipt to claim the toll charges

2) Taxis use the cash booths because they pay a cheaper toll rate than cars . If they use TNG booth , the system cannot differentiate between taxis and cars

3) Light goods , bus, lorries pay different rates so they need to use cash booths

4) Despite 1,2 and 3 above , there are very little cash booths available , hence the long queues 

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Not sure why some are questioning how many use TnG. In my experience, every single regular traveller up North uses TnG. Car convoys basically mandate it. If you don't have one, you have to buy it off the organiser. 

I assume most Malaysians are already using TnG cards as well. But I cannot be sure about this. 

Smart Tags are not as prevalent. The extra convenience over sticking your hand out and waving the TnG card is not worth it in my opinion, but there are still those who have installed this.

The only times we ever queue up at the Tambah Nilai booths is for top ups of the TnG cards. The queues at these booths are reflective of the times taken per transaction (much longer) rather than actual numbers of vehicles who've chosen not to partake of the TnG scheme at all. 

It's important not to rely on pure cash payments as the operators may simply not be present at all times. If your balance is too low and the mak cik has taken time off for a break or prayers, you better start praying too. And there have been times very early in the am when they've not started work yet (and this is the time responsible convoys prefer to go up to beat the jam and get some clear road to clear carbon). 

But the existing TnG implementation is not at all the same as this VEP RFID nonsense. The latter is simply unnecessary since they've *already* got the damn gantry after customs for us to use our TnG cards for payment. I don't see any reason for them to have gone down this bureaucratic route. If they're worried about lost fine revenue, just squeeze more at GP on the way back lor (not that I would want that, but it's happening anyway, and it's still better than this sh*t). 

Since you drive mostly in convoy, you don't see the convenience of it.

For topping up your TnG card, other than "tambah nilai", there are electronic terminals in R&R or any petrol station.  No need queue at cash booth.

VEP RFID implementation is similar to our Autopass.  The only difference is our Autopass requires annual roadtax update at checkpoint LTA office.

VEP was started by @Jamesc good pal.  Madhatter was not PM then.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

Since you drive mostly in convoy, you don't see the convenience of it.

For topping up your TnG card, other than "tambah nilai", there are electronic terminals in R&R or any petrol station.  No need queue at cash booth.

VEP RFID implementation is similar to our Autopass.  The only difference is our Autopass requires annual roadtax update at checkpoint LTA office.

VEP was started by @Jamesc good pal.  Madhatter was not PM then.

With regard to electronic top ups at rest stops - if anything, that strengthens my point about the convenience of TnG. 

I know that the initial implementation of VEP started with Jib. No issues with it. RM 20 is nothing and it's easy to keep the card topped up on exit so we have enough when coming back in for next trip. See, that's a sensible implementation. Just a gantry at customs. 

It's the RFID nonsense that I quibble with. Why force Singaporeans to do this? If they're going to do it at all, make it simple - allow us to quickly and smoothly pick it up at customs and install it ourselves as we enter or exit. Rather than all this registration, appointment, going to a JPJ tented area nonsense. Why do they even need our damn particulars? 

• Praise 3

6 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

With regard to electronic top ups at rest stops - if anything, that strengthens my point about the convenience of TnG. 

I know that the initial implementation of VEP started with Jib. No issues with it. RM 20 is nothing and it's easy to keep the card topped up on exit so we have enough when coming back in for next trip. See, that's a sensible implementation. Just a gantry at customs. 

It's the RFID nonsense that I quibble with. Why force Singaporeans to do this? If they're going to do it at all, make it simple - allow us to quickly and smoothly pick it up at customs and install it ourselves as we enter or exit. Rather than all this registration, appointment, going to a JPJ tented area nonsense. Why do they even need our damn particulars? 

The convenience of TnG will be improved once TnG directpay is implemented on NSHW. Currently it’s limited to Kiang Valley.

On RFID implementation, ppl rule. It’s either we follow or don’t go.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Malaysians (or rather, all toll road users) were forced to use TNG after the toll operator converted all tolls to cashless.

But my main qns is, how long did it take them to go 100% cashless after TNG was implemented?

And it's claimed that whole Msia going RFID when it's actually mainly Klang valley area.  It will take a long time before that happens, for various reasons.

Yes SmartTAG not as common, cos one has to pay Rm120 or so for a device that has design & manufacturing flaws. It's still worth paying for IMO,  as not only is it faster, it also solves my problem of rainwater gushing into my car from the roof when I slow down and open window at TNG booth during heavy rain.

The Malaysian cars I convoy with all use SmartTAG (or RFID) too, so if I don't, I'll need to work the car quite a bit harder to catch them after the tolls. Or all will have to slow down for me...

58 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Ostensibly, the VEP was to solve the problem of cars being smuggled into Msia and used on the roads illegally.

It's a real problem for them. Loss of govt revenue, unregistered & uninsured cars running around on the roads etc.

The implementation of VEP however, leaves much to be desired.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2